hybridwannabe

New possible owner.......mega miles a year worth it?

First Gen Honda Insights were 6 speed manuals, so there are manual Hybrids out there, just not any made today.

As for highway efficiency, even at 80 MPH, the FFH will still be good for MPG, so I say go for one, you will like it, and they do make good highway cruisers with the SE Luxury package. Don't worry about the HVB, its a myth uneducated consumers believe in when told they fail a lot by sales people who just want to sell what they have in stock. Failure rates are extremely low, I thin in the 7 years I have been driving Hybrids, I know of 3 that were replaced, and were done so early in the cars life due to a defect, and not because they wore out. There are hybrids out there as taxi's with over 300K on them on the original packs.

Don't worry about the HVB, its a myth uneducated consumers believe in when told they fail a lot by sales people who just want to sell what they have in stock. Failure rates are extremely low, I thin in the 7 years I have been driving Hybrids, I know of 3 that were replaced, and were done so early in the cars life due to a defect, and not because they wore out. There are hybrids out there as taxi's with over 300K on them on the original packs.

There is at least one model that has a very high failure rate for the hybrid HVB:

http://consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/02/honda-civic-hybrid-battery-reliability-gets-worse/index.htm

Sirius. I'm not sure about the S Hybrid. Texasota has one, maybe he can let us

My S Hybrid did not come with Sirius.

The main overriding reason I chose the SE version of the FFH over the S version was because the S version does not have the SiriusXM as an option. The secondary reason I chose the SE was so I could get the spoiler and the sporty wheels. It seems almost kind of silly now to have gotten the sportiest looking version of the FFH since I drive it like a granny, but it sure does look racy when it is parked. :arrive_alive:

When gas prices were up, the difference was much less than 40%.

NOW however........today I noticed that gas was about 2.25 and diesel was 3.25. YIKES.

That's pretty close to 45%.

At the moment I'm glad that I do not have a diesel but that might not last too long.

I wonder why gas went down so much and diesel hasn't hardly budged ???

P.S. It would be nice if you trimmed your quotes just a bit. :)

Diesel prices usually always increase in the winter months due to home heating oil demand. The fracking boom tends to produce low-octane naphtha making it more compatible with regular gasoline production.

I have little doubt that diesel powered vehicles can be more efficient at highway speeds if geared properly. My Passat's DSG transmission produced rpms at 80 mph above the peak operating optimum range of 1700-2200. For that you need something with a 7-9 speed gearbox and nothing below 40k has that right now that I am aware.

The other long term problem I see with diesel vehicles produced after 2009 is the cost of replacing the DPF filters. Unless prices come down you are looking at the cost of a hybrid battery to replace your DPF at 100-200k miles. If you do a lot of city driving don't expect the DPF to last that long especially with short ~10 mile commutes.

Edited by darrelld

Vehicles are designed, for the most part, to operate the best when within LEGAL limits.

You need to slow down. ;)

Both for efficiency and for safety.

Speed really DOES kill.

I was driving 5 mph under the legal limit of 85?

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/autos/which-states-have-highest-speed-limits-n188686

Edited by darrelld

HB, thats the Insight that was discontinued.

Texas, that one is well known, and Honda accelerated the issues with an update, but then I dont really consider Honda's as Hybrids.

One other thing about newer diesels, you have to use Urea in them, so that is an added cost per mile.

I still believe the Hybrid to be a better choice even with a lot of highway driving, the more miles you put on them, the shorter the actual payoff(except for the MKZ, no premium on the hybrid).

And that was pretty much worthless.

If you have something to say, then SAY it, in plain english.

C'mon yourself.

You honestly did not know who he was referring to as preaching? Again, I say, c'mon man!

Your post was removed for inflammatory comment, your posts above are border line as well. Please stay on topic and leave the comments non topic related out. Thank you.

Many of us here understand the Ford/Toyota eCVT full series-parallel hybrid cars. The design and durability of them is superior to all the other type hybrids that do not use that technology. If you're going to get a hybrid, only get the Ford/Toyota type.