hybridwannabe

New possible owner.......mega miles a year worth it?

If you can find a Fusion with the 2.5 in it, and you like it, get it. That motor does get the best highway MPG. It is nearly the same as the 2010-12 Hybrid 2.5, only not an Atkinson type, but the 2.5 in the 2010 FFH got outstanding highway MPG even up to 80 MPH. From what I have seen of fuel reports on the 2.5 models, they are in the 30's at highway speeds. It's too bad they are only in the base model cars though.

I had a 2014 Fiesta as a rental back in August and drove it 700 miles in 4 days, which was enough to get the feel of it -- the Fusion is a far better ride.

If you plan to go 80 then the FFH will not get very good MPG, as Murphy noted above. But then again I don't think you'll get very good MPG at 80 with any car.

I also put a lot of miles per year, normally about 36-40k and the FFH has been great. I will be changing the oil next week in my former 2010 FFH, will be at 192k miles and still runs great.

And just because your 3/36k warranty won't last very long, you can get an extended warranty from Ford for up to 125k with duration of up to 7 years.

From what I have seen of fuel reports on the 2.5 models, they are in the 30's at highway speeds. It's too bad they are only in the base model cars though.

According to the Ford configurator you can get the 2.5 (base engine) in the Fusion SE. Might have to order it if they are not common on dealer lots.

To Jeff_H, are you on your original batteries at 192k miles with your 2010? Haha you drove a Fiesta for 700 miles, so you can understand why I'd like to "upgrade"!

On the 2010, the HVB is original and have never had any issues at all and lifetime MPG still at 39 (sticker is 40/36), I replaced the 12V battery at 140, it wasn't showing any issues but at that point is when my wife's friend took ownership so I replaced it so she would have a new 12V rather than having it decide to go bad (most do after 3,4,5,6 years whatever it's just life) because it was time to kick the bucket.

So now I see the car every 2-3 months to change the oil, plan to take a few pics and post once it passes 200k as it still looks good too.

The advantage of a hybrid diminishes to about 15% at high highway speeds. That is the difference in the Atkinson engine efficiency. The design of the Ford/Toyota eCVT hybrids is bulletproof. They should last forever with low maintenance. They are complicated cars electronically as are most cars today. The first salesman was an idiot with hidden agendas. HVB failure is proving to be a non-issue. The HVB and eCVT are integral to the operation of the car. If they fail, you need a tow. Their failure rate is incredibly small.

Get a FFH ! Any year or trim will please you. Get a used one or holdover. They are a highway limo.

Edited by lolder

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I hate to maybe ask a question or 2 that may have been asked and answered, but my "Loyalty Cash" runs out in a few days, so time is of the essence. I'll try to be brief!

Current 2014 Fiesta 1.0 owner. LOVE this car!! But it's a tad too small for my long trips. I have about 15k miles now in less than a year, and my mileage will only go up. So possibility of 20k-30k miles a year in the future! Ouch!

Since the Fiesta is not the best for long hauls, I've been looking elsewhere. My parents own a 2012 Fusion, and we all like it, so my interest is perked. I've just started researching the 2014-2015 Fusions as they are an upgrade to what my parents have. More specifically I'm interested in the hybrids.

I dropped off a friend at a Ford dealership this morning to get her car fixed. While I was there, I walked around looking at the many Fusion hybrids they had on the lot. Low and behold, a salesman came out, even in the cold weather. I told him my situation and the possible mileage I may put on a new car and he suggested getting the 1.6 or 2.0 instead of a hybrid Fusion. He said with that many miles a year, the warranty will be quickly be up. And then I'm at the mercy of any problems with replacing the batteries at a MAJOR cost. He was unwavering on avoiding the hybrids if I'm doing 20k plus miles a year. Mind you he had 15 or so hybrids right there on the lot he could have upsold to me. He was dead set on the tried and true gasoline engine for high mileage situations. Kind of seemed odd to me for a salesman to lean one way or the other, but maybe he's correct??

I was interested in a 2014 Fusion 1.6 w/6 speed manual transmission, but from my research, they are simply not getting the mpg Ford states. In fact Ward's has now gone rogue on all the Ford ecoboost engines since they don't live up to the mpg hype. I'd hate to get a 1.6 manual Fusion and not get even close the advertised mpg highway numbers when I'm used to 45mpg with my Fiesta. So the Fusion hybrid looks like the best bet.

Should I be worried about putting that many miles on a Fusion hybrid per year? Would an extended warranty help? Anything else I should be worried about? Since my trips are 500-1000 miles each, I do about 80mph or so with Waze and radar detector. What mileage should I expect from the Fusion hybrid at that speed?

Again I apologize if these questions have been asked/answered. I just have a few days left with my Loyalty Cash and there aren't many Fusion hybrids in my small town so I'll have to travel elsewhere, which also takes time.

Thank you in advance!

At 80 mph I get around 32-34 mpg depending upon factors such as AC use and ambient air temperature. As a comparison my previous 2012 Passat TDI would average around 36-38 under similar conditions. Keep in mind that diesel fuel contains about 11% more energy per gallon than regular unleaded gasoline or E10 and costs about 40% more per gallon.

I found the Fusion Hybrid surprisingly efficient at high speeds compared to a similar car in its weight and class like the Passat TDI.