Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Just bought my new 2014 Titanium Hybrid model and...

titanium gas mileage

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   corncobs

corncobs

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2,836 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 FFH
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 08 January 2015 - 07:11 PM

You CAN use EV-only to accelerate from a dead stop in the FFH, you just have to accelerate very, very gradually. ;)

And the guy behind you needs a lot of patience :)
  • Hybrider likes this
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE - Lady in Red
Ruby Red / 505A, Tech Pkg, Rear Sensing System, 18" Luxury Wheels

215477.png

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   TonyHzNV

TonyHzNV

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 411 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 09 January 2015 - 03:16 PM

I just followed Griswald's tips in post #12 and I started getting crazy good mpg. And I have 18" wheels too. Keeping the blue bar within the blue rectangle like he said or the white bar at or below the 2nd tick mark on the Empower screen really works. Look at these two pics I am posting. One is my trip to work this morning, the other is my overall average mpg screen. I'm working on hitting 50. I think it can be done. FYI, my drive to work is fairly flat, about 2/3 city Street (at 45 - 50 mph), and 1/3 Interstate Hwy at about 65 mph. Temp was about 47°F. And like Corncobs said, the people behind me need lots of patience! 😂

Attached Files

Edited by TonyHzNV, 09 January 2015 - 03:33 PM.

• Griswald likes this

340661.png

2013 F-150 XLT Super Cab Ingot Silver Metallic/Gray Cloth, 302A, 5.0L V8, 7100# GVWR Pkg, Tailgate Step, Cloth Bucket Seats. Build Date: 01/25/13

2014 Fusion SE Hybrid, Ruby Red Tinted Clearcoat/Charcoal Black Cloth, SE Appearance Pkg, Rear Spoiler, 18" Premium Sport Wheels, Tech/MFT Pkg, Rear View Camera, Reverse Sensing Sys, Adaptive Cruise Control, Nav System. Build Date: 11/25/13, Sync Version: 3.8 (w/nav)

Previous (Ford) Vehicles: 1995 Contour, 1999 Explorer Sport, 2002 Explorer XLS 4x4, 2003 Expedition XLT 4x4, 2007 F-150 XLT 4x4, 2007 Fusion SEL, 2012 Fusion SEL

"Do What You Can, For Who You Can, With What You Have, and What You Know"

#23 OFFLINE   corncobs

corncobs

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 04:08 PM

I just followed Griswald's tips in post #12 and I started getting crazy good mpg. And I have 18" wheels too. Keeping the blue bar within the blue rectangle like he said or the white bar at or below the 2nd tick mark on the Empower screen really works. Look at these two pics I am posting. One is my trip to work this morning, the other is my overall average mpg screen. I'm working on hitting 50. I think it can be done. FYI, my drive to work is fairly flat, about 2/3 city Street (at 45 - 50 mph), and 1/3 Interstate Hwy at about 65 mph. Temp was about 47°F. And like Corncobs said, the people behind me need lots of patience! 😂

Nice!

Don't try using the EV during acceleration it's a waste of energy. Start rolling in EV yes but then engage the ICE by going over the blue threshold. Accelerate up to speed limit while keeping the white bar around the 2 bar mark (HVB arrow needs to point up). Once at speed ease of the throttle and let her go into EV and cruise along.

This way you don't stress the patience of the guy behind you too much and still get great MPG.

It's all up the each individual condition but this works for me very well.
  • DeeCee likes this

215477.png

#24 OFFLINE   TonyHzNV

TonyHzNV

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 411 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 05:11 PM

Nice!
Don't try using the EV during acceleration it's a waste of energy. Start rolling in EV yes but then engage the ICE by going over the blue threshold. Accelerate up to speed limit while keeping the white bar around the 2 bar mark (HVB arrow needs to point up). Once at speed ease of the throttle and let her go into EV and cruise along.
This way you don't stress the patience of the guy behind you too much and still get great MPG.
It's all up the each individual condition but this works for me very well.

OK, I'm still learning here so thanks for the tip! I'm trying to read through and try as many things as I can in these forums. There is just so much helpful information to go through. You know, this kind of reminds me of when I was in flight school. You go to academics every day and then go out to the flight line and try to hover, but you just can't seem to keep that darn helicopter within a couple of football fields and you make your instructor EARN his money. But then one day, somewhere around the ten hour mark, something "clicks" (for some of us anyway) and everything comes together and you're hovering like you've been doing it all your life! Just takes a little knowledge and some practice. But you know, my class started out with 65 students and only 17 of us made it through flight school. Those other 48 guys just never got "the touch" and were eliminated. My point is that if you want to fly a hybrid, then you should probably go to hybrid school and learn as much as you can about the systems and how they work and interact with each other and learn what you can from the more seasoned hybrid pilots. Then, practice practice, practice! These forums sure look like hybrid school to me so I'm really glad to be here and that you all are here to impart your wisdom as well. Like with flight school, I think we have to face the fact that not everyone will end up a "qualified" hybrid pilot, but the Forum will give them the best shot at becoming one! So, to all you "seasoned" hybrid pilots out there who are giving of themselves to teach the rest of us, I sincerely thank you! Now please fasten your seat belts for takeoff! ☺

Edited by TonyHzNV, 09 January 2015 - 05:14 PM.

• hybridbear and corncobs like this

340661.png

2013 F-150 XLT Super Cab Ingot Silver Metallic/Gray Cloth, 302A, 5.0L V8, 7100# GVWR Pkg, Tailgate Step, Cloth Bucket Seats. Build Date: 01/25/13

2014 Fusion SE Hybrid, Ruby Red Tinted Clearcoat/Charcoal Black Cloth, SE Appearance Pkg, Rear Spoiler, 18" Premium Sport Wheels, Tech/MFT Pkg, Rear View Camera, Reverse Sensing Sys, Adaptive Cruise Control, Nav System. Build Date: 11/25/13, Sync Version: 3.8 (w/nav)

Previous (Ford) Vehicles: 1995 Contour, 1999 Explorer Sport, 2002 Explorer XLS 4x4, 2003 Expedition XLT 4x4, 2007 F-150 XLT 4x4, 2007 Fusion SEL, 2012 Fusion SEL

#25 OFFLINE   machoman1337

machoman1337

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 418 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • Current Vehicle:FFH SE Ice Storm/Lexus LS430

Posted 09 January 2015 - 06:44 PM

I generally find that if I'm going a short distance (< 4 km) and the battery is less than half charged, the engine will be on for 100% of the trip at full power and my fuel economy can actually appear to be worse than that of a non-hybrid. E.g. today I drove 1.7 km to the grocery store and it reported a 10.5 L/100 km (22 mpg) consumption for the trip. However on a longer trip (e.g. my 19 km commute to work), there are more opportunities for the battery to charge and for the hybrid motors to actually do their job independently, and in those scenarios, I can actually beat the advertised fuel economy, especially if downhill driving is involved (I get 4.4-4.8 L/100 km on my downhill trip home after work, which is 50+ mpg!)

Also if your car is equipped with navigation, it'll gradually memorize your most frequent routes/destinations and activate "EV+" mode when it can, which basically increases the time it spends cruising on EV mode. 

Just give it time, and maybe take a road trip, and you'll start seeing results. When I first bought my car, I reset the fuel economy reading and was averaging 7-8 L/100 km in mostly downtown stop-and-go traffic - this is actually hitting below 30 mpg. After shipping my car from Toronto to Vancouver, and a few weeks of mixed city/highway commuting, I started getting 5-6 L/100 km - now we're talking :)

My precious: 2013 Fusion Hybrid SE Ice Storm - Luxury Package (Dune), Navigation, Tech Package, Active Park Assist, Moonroof (ugh), 18" premium painted luxury wheels. Built in July 2012, bought CPO (former demonstrator) in May 2014. 6.3L/100 km lifetime fuel economy

Current temporary ride: 2003 Lexus LS430 w/navigation and parking sensors. Bought in December 2002, selling when I graduate

#26 OFFLINE   corncobs

corncobs

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 07:09 PM

I generally find that if I'm going a short distance (< 4 km) and the battery is less than half charged, the engine will be on for 100% of the trip at full power and my fuel economy can actually appear to be worse than that of a non-hybrid. E.g. today I drove 1.7 km to the grocery store and it reported a 10.5 L/100 km (22 mpg) consumption for the trip. However on a longer trip (e.g. my 19 km commute to work), there are more opportunities for the battery to charge and for the hybrid motors to actually do their job independently, and in those scenarios, I can actually beat the advertised fuel economy, especially if downhill driving is involved (I get 4.4-4.8 L/100 km on my downhill trip home after work, which is 50+ mpg!)

Also if your car is equipped with navigation, it'll gradually memorize your most frequent routes/destinations and activate "EV+" mode when it can, which basically increases the time it spends cruising on EV mode. 

Just give it time, and maybe take a road trip, and you'll start seeing results. When I first bought my car, I reset the fuel economy reading and was averaging 7-8 L/100 km in mostly downtown stop-and-go traffic - this is actually hitting below 30 mpg. After shipping my car from Toronto to Vancouver, and a few weeks of mixed city/highway commuting, I started getting 5-6 L/100 km - now we're talking :)

True all the way as we have heard so many times > short trips kill your MPG. It's much worse when really cold or really hot.

One comment that's not true is that you need to have navigation for the car to recognize frequent locations for EV+. It needs to be enabled and then it will take some time.

215477.png

#27 OFFLINE   TonyHzNV

TonyHzNV

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 411 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:18 PM

True all the way as we have heard so many times > short trips kill your MPG. It's much worse when really cold or really hot.

One comment that's not true is that you need to have navigation for the car to recognize frequent locations for EV+. It needs to be enabled and then it will take some time.

OK, Corncobs, you got me again! HOW is it enabled? Or is that in some other thread?  :)

340661.png

#28 OFFLINE   corncobs

corncobs

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:47 PM

OK, Corncobs, you got me again! HOW is it enabled? Or is that in some other thread?  :)

There probably is but EV+ is a bad search "word".

This here should also help ;)

Edited by corncobs, 09 January 2015 - 08:48 PM.

• hybridbear and GrySql like this

215477.png

#29 OFFLINE   TonyHzNV

TonyHzNV

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 411 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 11:46 AM

Thanks corncobs. There was a lot of good info in those YouTube videos! I would recommend them to everyone. There was a lot more there than the answer to my question of how to enable EV+ mode. Found that mine was already enabled. Good info on what the different screens are showing you. A "must see" for everyone. Thanks again!

340661.png

#30 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi

Posted 10 January 2015 - 01:40 PM

CC has it right, its OK to start out using EV, like up to 10-15 MPH, I do it quite often, but switch to ICE as soon as you can and keep it at or just above the 2K mark. This method has worked best for me too. In suburban driving I consistently see 50+ myself. Too bad most of my driving is rural Highway.  On those roads I try to keep it on ICE as much as I can and keep the battery level at max to stay in the 40 range.

In 35-45 MPH zones, I get up to speed on ICE then switch to EV and use as little as i can just to maintain speed, and switch to ICE is I need to pickup speed, and when the battery gets too low to maintain speed I keep it on ICE until about 75% and switch back to EV.  When I drive the last mile and a half, its on 25 MPH roads, and I usually have a nearly full HVB when I start, and just use EV all the way to the office since leaving I have to climb a hill anyway which gets the battery charged up rather quickly.

• hybridbear likes this
Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#31 OFFLINE   TonyHzNV

TonyHzNV

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 411 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 03:09 PM

CC has it right, its OK to start out using EV, like up to 10-15 MPH, I do it quite often, but switch to ICE as soon as you can and keep it at or just above the 2K mark. This method has worked best for me too. In suburban driving I consistently see 50+ myself. Too bad most of my driving is rural Highway.  On those roads I try to keep it on ICE as much as I can and keep the battery level at max to stay in the 40 range.

In 35-45 MPH zones, I get up to speed on ICE then switch to EV and use as little as i can just to maintain speed, and switch to ICE is I need to pickup speed, and when the battery gets too low to maintain speed I keep it on ICE until about 75% and switch back to EV.  When I drive the last mile and a half, its on 25 MPH roads, and I usually have a nearly full HVB when I start, and just use EV all the way to the office since leaving I have to climb a hill anyway which gets the battery charged up rather quickly.

I initially start out on EV then accelerate on the ICE at the 2K mark up to 45 - 50 depending on traffic then set the Eco-Cruise on. If I have to stop for a light or whatever, I will start out on EV, then hit the pedal a little to switch to the ICE and at 20 - 25 mph I will re-engage the cruise and it seems to automatically stay at or below the 2K mark while we accelerate back up to the previously set speed, then it will automatically switch to EV mode. Seems to work pretty well for me. Like I said before though, I'm still reading the tips and tricks and trying to glean as much info as I can from you guys, so I imagine it will take a while before I really get it all together, but it's fun and interesting at the same time learning this stuff! Thanks for the tips! ☺ OH and thanks to GrySql for all that technical stuff!

Edited by TonyHzNV, 10 January 2015 - 03:14 PM.

340661.png

#32 OFFLINE   rowlj3

rowlj3

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 5 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Titanium 2014

Posted 15 January 2015 - 05:11 PM

Set the left screen to Empower. There will be a blue outline on the screen, that is the available "electric" you have to work with. It changes based on how the car is moving. As you get moving, a full blue bar will show up and it is based on the demand you are putting on it eg. pressing on the pedal. The secret is to keep the blue bar from crossing the top of the blue rectangle for as much as possible. It will always cross it at some point, but thats because the gas motor charges the battery. The more you can keep the car in the Blue, the less you will use gas to move.

Second, the white bar is the gasoline motors power demand, if you try to keep the white bar at or just above the second tick mark as much as possible, that is putting a low demand on the gasoline motor resulting in low fuel use. Don't fret if you need to get up to the third bar every once in a while, but most times you will be able to get up and moving with less than two and a half bars.

Those two things will get you driving the hybrid the way it was intended to be driven, that and staying at the speed limit or a few MPH over MAX. You won't get a ticket, you will be less stressed and you will save gasoline. Also, it seems to not like to be granny driven, but not high schooler driven...somewhere to the low side of that mix seems to be best.

After you figure out the correct technique, there are many tricks to optimize your driving style (anticipating hills and stops, regenerative braking, coasting, running at highway speeds with the battery fully charged, etc.) but those require that you really understand what a hybrid does.

Its not really that hard, its just different.

This is great stuff thank you. I've been doing all of this and noticed that my area is pretty hilly, so it's difficult to stay in EV mode for too long, but my average mpg has definitely risen closer to 40. Do you recommend a certain highway speed sweet spot? One thing I've noticed is since the car is so quiet even at higher speeds it feels like it's driving slowly (which I'm not means complaining about). Anybody else notice this?

#33 OFFLINE   Easy Rider

Easy Rider

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Titanium

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:14 AM

so it's difficult to stay in EV mode for too long,  

One thing I've noticed is since the car is so quiet even at higher speeds it feels like it's driving slowly

It wasn't designed to stay in EV mode very long.......ever.

Yes, a large part of your perception of speed is tied to sound.

Kind of like your sense of taste being linked to smell. 

#34 OFFLINE   rowlj3

rowlj3

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 04:32 PM

It wasn't designed to stay in EV mode very long.......ever.

Yes, a large part of your perception of speed is tied to sound.

Kind of like your sense of taste being linked to smell. 

What I meant was that since it's hilly it turns off almost immediately after it turns on. I know it's not meant to stay on for very long, but longer than 2 seconds, yes. But again, no complaints on it's performance for that reason. 

• corncobs likes this

#35 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:00 PM

I'm sure I'd love it except that (2) I wouldn't be willing to have that small a trunk.

It really isn't that bad. We are on a multi-week road trip right now in the Energi and we don't feel like we have any more stuff in the back seat than when we did road trips in the FFH.

• GrySql likes this

Current Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium - White Platinum Metallic

2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE x2

252543.png167422.png

#36 OFFLINE   Easy Rider

Easy Rider

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 10:09 AM

I know it's not meant to stay on for very long, but longer than 2 seconds, yes. 

No not so.  In some conditions, that is perfectly normal.

#37 OFFLINE   mwr

mwr

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 639 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2015 FFH SE
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 17 January 2015 - 10:22 AM

I find thqt is the normal way my FFH starts up from a stop. EV (for its low-speed torque) then ICE-only after ICE has enough rpms, which may take about two seconds. That's how the car feels "peppy" accelerating from a stop in spite of the smallish ICE starting at 0 rpm.

• GrySql and corncobs like this

IMG_2641c_160w.jpg

#38 OFFLINE   rowlj3

rowlj3

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 07:11 PM

I agree. And one of those conditions is a hilly area! I didn't say it shouldn't be only staying on for 2 seconds, but that it's designed to be able to be on for more than 2 seconds. Which was a reply to your comment of "It wasn't designed to stay in EV mode very long.......ever."

Edited by rowlj3, 18 January 2015 - 07:13 PM.

#39 OFFLINE   Easy Rider

Easy Rider

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 09:28 AM

I didn't say it shouldn't be only staying on for 2 seconds,

Sure sounded like that to me.

Glad you clarified.  :)

#40 OFFLINE   Ram

Ram

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 87 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2014 FFH

Posted 04 February 2015 - 07:53 AM

Just another thought, some may dispute.  At the new miles on your car, and the cold of winter, the engine is still tight and break in my be taking a bit longer then in hot summer weather.  Keep in mind that the ice shuts on and off so its total on cycle is shorter yet than a non-hybred car. 

I would not be over concerned with it at this time. Just enjoy the car and keep learning the milage will get better over time.  If not find the build date and see if it may need a computer upgrade.  Can you get the car to run in EV over 70?

• acdii likes this

298401.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: titanium, gas mileage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·