rowlj3

Just bought my new 2014 Titanium Hybrid model and...

CC has it right, its OK to start out using EV, like up to 10-15 MPH, I do it quite often, but switch to ICE as soon as you can and keep it at or just above the 2K mark. This method has worked best for me too. In suburban driving I consistently see 50+ myself. Too bad most of my driving is rural Highway. On those roads I try to keep it on ICE as much as I can and keep the battery level at max to stay in the 40 range.

In 35-45 MPH zones, I get up to speed on ICE then switch to EV and use as little as i can just to maintain speed, and switch to ICE is I need to pickup speed, and when the battery gets too low to maintain speed I keep it on ICE until about 75% and switch back to EV. When I drive the last mile and a half, its on 25 MPH roads, and I usually have a nearly full HVB when I start, and just use EV all the way to the office since leaving I have to climb a hill anyway which gets the battery charged up rather quickly.

... Do you recommend a certain highway speed sweet spot? ...

... Can you get the car to run in EV over 70?

It is pretty much a proven fact that just about any car will get better MPGs at 55 MPH than it will at 65 MPH; better at 65 MPH than at 75 MPH, and so on and so on. It is basically just a matter of the physics involved which says that to keep a mass moving at a higher rate of speed requires more energy, and since it is not a linear increase in the required amount of energy for a given increase in speed, there is a reduced ROI for driving at higher rates of speed.

My experience is that the slower that you drive an FFH, the better the MPGs will be. From my empirical experience, I seem to get better MPGs at 35 MPH than I do at 45 MPH. And I also seem to get good MPGs at 25 MPH, but I have not driven nearly enough miles at 25 MPH to know whether I am getting better MPGs than I do at 35 MPH, since it is only 2/10 mile from the last major street to my home, which is 25 MPH zone.

So since 35 MPH is about the slowest I can drive and still get around in a decent amount of time, and without upsetting the other drivers around me even more than I already do, 35 MPH seems to be the sweet spot for me and my FFH, and in my particular driving conditions/environment.

BTW, I don't ever plan on driving over 70 MPH in my FFH, ever, even if the speed limit is 75, 80, or even 85, since I believe 70 MPH is plenty fast for any conditions, and much safer than any speeds faster than that. And at speed limits which are lower than 70, I rarely drive my FFH more then 3 MPH over the limit, and usually right at or below the speed limit these days.

My MKT gets better MPG at 63 than 55. That speed puts the engine RPM right at its peak.

I've noticed that too but not sure of the exact speeds. It seems to use the battery more effectively right along in there.

I was amazed to see it switch to EV mode at that speed.......and stay like that for a few miles.

I think Acdii is referring to his Lincoln MKT which I think is a conventional gas power train. But I could be wrong.

There is, but haven't found it in the FFH yet, I tend to do no more than 60 for the most part. I do remember that when I drove to MN with the family, it liked 65 better than any other speed.