Sign in to follow this  
Barsoom

Tire Pressure Low Warning Came On Yesterday

Having a missing valve cap should not let water into a tire where it can damage a sensor. Any products have premature failures. That's what warranty's are for. I had a sensor battery failure after about ffour years in my 2010 FFH. The sensors are only powered when the wheel is turning and the warning would only come on after a period of driving that got less and less and eventually was on continuously. I changed it when re-tiring at COSTCO. Their price is less than most but you must be a tire customer

Did you have the tires rotated lately or otherwise change the position of any tire on the car? You didn't say. It's my understanding that the TPMS "knows" where each individual tire is located on the car and if you change their positions, the system has to be "taught" the new positions using a $50 Ford "teaching tool ". If you don't, you can get a tire pressure light. I have read this somewhere and there are videos about it on YouTube. Just my 2¢.

I rotated my tires a few months ago, front to rear, without retraining them and no tire light has come on.

I think that if all the tire pressures stay the same it does not matter what position they are in. The control module knows that during the initial training, what sensor belongs to what position. But after that initial training, it does not matter where you move the tire.

However, if you rotated the tires and have not retrained them and the tire light comes on due to a sensor failure or low tire, there can be a problem. If the Tech uses a scanner and checks for codes and data, the tire will not be in the position where the control module thinks it is and an inexperienced tech may diagnose the wrong wheel.

So I guess it is best to retrain them after a rotation. But if you don't, it should not make the light turn on just because they were rotated, but it can cause a diagnostic problem if the light turns on later.

Also on vehicles which have different tire pressures front to rear, like pickup trucks, the tires must be retrained after rotation after the pressures are adjusted.

Edited by billford

Not sure, but don't the tires need to be within a certain percentage of each other? If one tire drops out of the established/monitored range it would set off the low tire message.

I suggest refilling the tires to a single tire pressure and then drive around a bit to see if the TPMS is reset.

Yesterday, after several hours of driving around town, the low tire pressure warning came on. This was shortly after driving through a puddled street. I pulled into a gas station and visually inspected the tires with no obvious low tires or nails. Today, I checked the pressure in each tire. The placard in the door says the cold PSI is 34 for all tires. Mine were at 40 or more.

I guess I now have to have my dealer check out the tire pressure monitoring system when I have the other Warranty work done.

sigh...

Hi Barsoom,

Let me know when you head to your dealer for this. I can loop in your customer service manager for additional assistance.

Meagan

Thanks, Meagan. I will contact you shortly. I have not yet spoken directly to a service advisor; I made the appointment on-line. I also want to call the service department in advance because I'm new to the area. I had established a good relationship with my prior dealership that I will need to rebuild - not necessarily a good thing as it was born of all the repeated issues with the 2013 model.

I completely understand. I'll keep an eye out for your message. :)

Meagan