Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Excessive Condensation

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   higheroctave32

higheroctave32

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Hybrid Facebook Member
  • 62 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 23 December 2014 - 06:17 PM

Not sure if this is the right area for this, but it sounded good. Many times lately I will come out to my car at the end of the work day around 9 p.m. and get in to find the interior surface of the windshield is completely covered in serious condensation. Not a little like hit the defrost for a minute or two, but break out the towel and start wiping so I don't have to sit there for 10 minutes waiting for the defrost to do something and running the engine for nothing. 

I haven't been using the sunshade lately because it's been overcast a lot so that's not trapping any moisture in there so I don't know what's causing it. I don't run the climate control constantly when it is colder, but go on and off as needed to maximize the battery availability. Is the car just sealed too well that it is not venting at all while it sits?I've never had it happen this bad before.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Yes
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 23 December 2014 - 06:38 PM

If the car's floor/rugs are wet and the the car is sealed, the heat trapped in the car caused by UV rays thru the window glass can cause condensation.

• hybridbear likes this
The Time Machine....
'13 FFH SE - Platinum White
Custom ordered, build date: 11/30/12, delivered: 12/12/12 - Sold: 09/05/15

#3 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 981 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion S Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:53 PM

I don't run the climate control constantly when it is colder, but go on and off as needed to maximize the battery availability. Is the car just sealed too well that it is not venting at all while it sits?I've never had it happen this bad before.

Could the intermittent use of your HVAC be leaving a lot of humidity in the car when you turn it off which then condenses on the windshield which has been cooled by the 9:00 PM evening air?

You might try driving to work with the HVAC turned on during the entire drive, as an experiment, and see what it is like when you leave at 9:00 PM that day.  Seems like the condensation on the windshield has to be resulting from humidity in the cabin air. The question is what is causing the high humidity.

Edited by Texasota, 23 December 2014 - 11:14 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   higheroctave32

higheroctave32

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Hybrid Facebook Member
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:13 PM

Both are quite possible. We've had some serious rain here the last couple weeks.

#5 OFFLINE   gkinla

gkinla

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 339 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Fusion Energi
  • My Hybrid's Year:2016

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:53 PM

If you run the HVAC constantly in recirculate mode, the 100% humidity you breath out, never leaves the car cabin and will possibly condense on the inside when the interior of the car cools down.

#6 OFFLINE   mwr

mwr

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 689 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2015 FFH SE
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 24 December 2014 - 01:26 AM

I live in the SF Bay area wth similar weather to yours this time of year. A lot of rain lately and also high humidity with fog the last few days. My car is outside all the time. I've never expereinced what you describe. I never use recirculate. I leave the HVAC on Auto, 72 degrees, all the time except when sometimes I need to hit the defrost button. AC off in this weather.

IMG_2641c_160w.jpg

#7 OFFLINE   higheroctave32

higheroctave32

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Hybrid Facebook Member
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 11:59 AM

I live in the SF Bay area wth similar weather to yours this time of year. A lot of rain lately and also high humidity with fog the last few days. My car is outside all the time. I've never expereinced what you describe. I never use recirculate. I leave the HVAC on Auto, 72 degrees, all the time except when sometimes I need to hit the defrost button. AC off in this weather.

I'm sure it's me thinking I can outsmart the HVAC system by manually doing things that's causing it. I'll do that more of the time and see what happens.

Thanks everyone for the input.

#8 OFFLINE   Easy Rider

Easy Rider

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Titanium

Posted 24 December 2014 - 12:01 PM

Yes, by all means try LEAVING the climate control on for a few days and see if it helps.

But it sounds to me like you have another source of moisture present......like coolant leaking into the cabin or the AC drain not draining.

IF using the climate control and/or leaving a couple of windows cracked about 1/4 inch doesn't solve the problem, a dealer visit might be in order.

#9 OFFLINE   billford

billford

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 242 posts
  • Current Vehicle:None

Posted 25 December 2014 - 01:47 PM

I think that excessive condensation can be a problem. Storing wet umbrellas and clothing should be avoided.  The wiring connectors, modules and sensors outside the car are sealed against moisture to prevent corrosion. Inside, they are usually not sealed. The high voltage battery is cooled by cabin air, so you want to keep the air as dry as possible.

If the carpets are wet after a rain, you definitely have a leak inside the car.  If they are dry, I think it could just be the weather.

You can try and keep a window slightly open when you park and see if that clears it up.

Edited by billford, 25 December 2014 - 01:51 PM.

• GrySql and gkinla like this

#10 OFFLINE   Easy Rider

Easy Rider

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Titanium

Posted 25 December 2014 - 05:45 PM

I think that excessive condensation can be a problem. 

Absolutely right.  I know it can be a problem.

Eventually it leads to nasty mold if left unchecked long enough.

• gkinla likes this

#11 OFFLINE   klatoo

klatoo

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 32 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 FFH Titanium
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:51 PM

I've discovered this as well, however it occurs in summer and winter and generally happens after rain.  It has never occurred in my garage, but has occurred in my work parking garage as well as being stored outside at work (policy change at work, hence parking in a garage now).

I asked the Ford rep about this while my Expedition was in the shop few months back but all I got was a blank stare.  Figured the occurrence happening a few times a year is nothing to get that upset about.  Never occurred in any car I ever owned before though.

"Yo homie....that my briefcase?"

241799.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·