GrySql

Ford Flex fuel injector service at Dealer?

I have a 2011 Flex SEL NA, I was under the impression these cars had DRI type fuel injectors that don't require cleaning. My Dealer told me on the last visit I needed the Fuel injector Service on my upcoming 30,000 mile service, about $325 worth.

I was under the impression that Ford doesn't recommend a fuel injector service, is that so? If so, how do I find data to refute this Service Advisor's claim it's necessary. My OM sure doesn't mention it.

Waldo, got any Ford memo's I can throw at the SA?

"If it ain't broke, don't fix" it comes to mind. Has your fuel mileage dropped more than can be explained by "it's cold outside"? Are you getting error codes caused by malfunctioning fuel injectors? Is the ICE sluggish or stumbling?

Sounds like my SA who insists I need to change my oil every 4000 miles in spite of the fact that the Owner's Manual says every 20,000 miles or 2 years.

His bonus probably depends on how much unneeded stuff he can sell.

I put a bottle of Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner in my Z and SportTrac every 6000 miles to keep the injectors clean. Much cheaper than what a dealer would want. Since injector service is not part of the required maintenance, you don't have to get it done. Period.

As for YOU finding data to show your SA, how about you ask HIM/HER to show YOU where it says you are required to have the injector serviced at 30000 miles! I bet your SA would whip out a dealer made list of "recommended" services. My Ford dealer tried this on me when I asked what was required on the 45000 mile service for my 2005 Mustang GT convertible. I could not believe the BS I was told by that SA. Thankfully, that SA is no longer employed at that dealership. :)

My OM sure doesn't mention it.

In my opinion, that is all you need to know.

If you want to screw with them a little, ask for documentation showing where it is needed/recommended.

I use a can of Techron in all my vehicles at every oil change (applied by me) and don't worry about what my injectors are doing as long as the car is running good.

I don't worry about sludge in the crankcase or carbon in the combustion chambers either. ;)

Thanks for the replies. The car runs great and gets good mpg's. I've used Techron on my previous cars with good results.

Just using Tier 1 gasoline ought to keep the injectors clean. I was filling at Costco the other day and they had a sign on the pump proclaiming that their gas had 5x the required amount of cleansing agents.

I know that these FFH's don't need a Fuel Injector Service because I have the Service Manual and it states they have Deposit Resistant Injectors that don't require cleaning, if one proves to be bad it is to be replaced.

Unfortunately I don't have a Flex Service Manual and nowhere in the OM is this service called for. Yes, I also think it's a money grab but at my Dealer I am surprised that they would play this game, they are usually better than that. Sure, next time I see that particular SA I'll ask for Ford documentation.

I was just wondering if there was any info refuting this, I like to go prepared.

Edited by GrySql

You could have fun with them and say the ICE only runs half the time so you only have 15K on the ICE. Techron is what I use too. :)

Paul

You could have fun with them and say the ICE only runs half the time so you only have 15K on the ICE. Techron is what I use too. :)

Paul

The question was about his Flex not the FFH so that joke could backfire ;)

From the Flex shop manual:

The fuel injectors:

• are electronically operated by the PCM.
  • atomize the fuel as the fuel is delivered.
  • each have an internal solenoid that opens a needle valve, which injects fuel directly into the cylinder head.
  • are deposit resistant.

Cars today are computer controlled AND monitored. Change the oil and filter, rotate the tires and check the fluids and look for leaks. Don't do anything else unless the owners manual calls for it or the car gives you a message. I don't think the way fuel injectors work today that you have to put any additives in either.

From the Flex shop manual:

The fuel injectors:

• are electronically operated by the PCM.
  • atomize the fuel as the fuel is delivered.
  • each have an internal solenoid that opens a needle valve, which injects fuel directly into the cylinder head.
  • are deposit resistant.

Cars today are computer controlled AND monitored. Change the oil and filter, rotate the tires and check the fluids and look for leaks. Don't do anything else unless the owners manual calls for it or the car gives you a message. I don't think the way fuel injectors work today that you have to put any additives in either.

I agree, I use the best grade fuel and the car only has 27k miles on it and idles and runs perfect.

Thank you for the responses.

I think the 3.5 in the NA Flex is manifold injected, where the EB is Direct Injected, if that answers your other question. I use Royal Purple gas treatment every 10K miles, or every oil change.

The only car I ever had deposit issues with was the BD at 4500 miles, still no clue as to why, and don't really care either. SBEP.