keybman

My Battery Story

Wow, you are getting really good mileage, definitely in the Prius zone. I may have to breakdown and get the new Fusion Hybrid, I really like the newer style. My 2010 FFH is 5 years old with 104K miles on it, with the original 12V battery. I watch it very closely. It has shown the red dot (not green) for the last 40K miles, and the dealer told me that indicator is extremely unreliable. I can't speak for all Ford dealers, but my dealer, had a Ford plan that came with the car where the dealer would do every other oil change for free for 100K miles. Now it's like every 4th oil change is free. He always load tests the 12V battery, for free. He also gives me advice on what items I need to replace, like recently the PO131 code indicated I needed a new upstream O2 sensor, which I replaced myself for $72.

But besides that dealer load check, I have added distilled water to the battery twice now based on a visual of the level, and I have a $22 Harbor Freight 100 amp load tester that I use before all out-of-town trips. My threshold is that the 12V battery must show at least 10.3 volts at 100 amp load. Of course if your battery drops below 8 volts under load, most of your 12 volt functions aren't going to work, and 100 amps would be a higher than normal drain on that battery, so I figure I have some margin left on that test.