ptjones

FFH has a 14.1gal Fuel Tank

I personally have seen, well, the Ford spec's say 104 mph is the FFH's top speed and I know that is not correct. I do admit that my mpg's suffered as a result of that 'emergency' maneuver and my Event Data Recorder was primed to slap my right foot.

I did not realize grey squirrels could fly, but apparently they do! ;)

Interesting topic, sure enjoyed the popcorn. For me, I have yet gotten to 12 gallons on a fill when "empty". It always winds up around 10 gallons used when DTE hits 0. I know! new thread! how many miles past 0 can YOU go! LOL

On the subject of drafting. You get diminishing returns the closer you get. I found 2 bars on ACC behind a flatbed truck, OR a motorhome pulling a car nets the best results while maintaining a safe distance. All the lead vehicle needs to do is break the airstream in front of you, and you stay out of the turbulence. Vans create too much turbulence at 2 bars, thats why I prefer flatbeds or tankers. Motorhomes pulling a car create airflows similar to flatbeds. I got some of my best MPG tracks following these types of vehicles, Safely.

As for MPG, too may people are fixated on MPG, and not gallons used. To me gallons used puts things in better perspective. Here's why.

My daily drive @ 40 MPG, uses about 12 gallons in the Fusion. Switch out the Fusion with the MKT @20 MPG, I now use 24 gallons. When the wife takes the car and I take the MKT, we both go the same direction, same amount of miles, but combined use 36 gallons of gas.

The Fusion saves me 12 gallons of gas per week. Carpooling saves me an additional 12 gallons of gas per week, in total, 24 gallons of gas saved per week. When gas was $3.50 a gallon that's $84 a week saved, or $4368.00 a year. It is also a reason I am not adamant on getting every last MPG out of the car, I set a goal of 38-43 MPG in the new Fusion, I get that when I drive it without special techniques, or unsafe driving practices like I posted way back when I had the BD and showed the video of what it took to get what my current one gets without trying. As long as I meet the 38-43 range, I know what my savings are, and am quite happy with the outcome, plus I am driving one of the best cars on the road short of a Tesla(BTW, did you guys see the video of the Tesla blowing away a 707HP Challenger?).

Its good to know that the stated tank capacity is actually a little lower than actual, however, the vast majority of owners will never get below empty, and based on how the fuel gauge and trip meters calculate fuel used, doubt they ever will use more than 12 gallons when past 0 DTE before filling. At least it isn't like the Flex where it has a saddle tank and on occasion the crossover pump fails to equalize the tank and the go from 1/4 tank to empty in a matter of a couple miles.

PS Waldo, You raced 13B's? So did I back in the early 80's in an RX4 wagon! My friend and I also balanced and ported a 13B and got it to run at 20K smooth as silk, at least until the seals gave out. We just had it wide open and had removed anything that could limit the speed. It was scary fun as we didn't know what might happen with it. Those were some fun engines to play with, we would rebuild them in the basement on a mile crate.

Edited by acdii

You missed the point. MPG is only good when comparing how far you can go on a gallon. Gallons used puts it into the monetary perspective. You can easily equate 1 gallon of gas, to a price point, where MPG you now have to divide your miles driven, by MPG to arrive at gallons used before you can get to the price point.

To the layman, driving 400 miles and using 20 gallons equates to a cost of $70, where the other driver drove the same distance and used 40 gallons and cost him $140. Simple easy math when using gallons vs MPG.

Gallons used puts it into the monetary perspective. You can easily equate 1 gallon of gas, to a price point, where MPG you now have to divide your miles driven, by MPG to arrive at gallons used before you can get to the price point.

To the layman, driving 400 miles and using 20 gallons equates to a cost of $70, where the other driver drove the same distance and used 40 gallons and cost him $140. Simple easy math when using gallons vs MPG.

This is the common sense view. For most people it is about the impact to their wallet. However, much of this thread had nothing to do with common sense or safe driving. It was mostly about a game or personal challenge to achieve an arbitrary number of miles per tank. OCD to the extreme.

Edited by Texasota

Or I can drive all week, 500 miles on 10 gallons of gas. Cost me $20. When quoting MPG, the difference between 43 MPG and 48MPG may seem like a lot, until you see how many gallons are used, then the difference is insignificant. Thats where gallons used plays into it. The Wallet speaks louder than anything.

When you get down to 18 MPG vs 20 MPG, while 2 MPG may not seem like much, in gallons it is quite a bit. 400/18 =22.2, 400/20=20, that is a 2.22 gallon difference. Quite a bit different than say.34 gallons in the above example

Actually I think "miles per dollar" is in some ways a better comparison as it can automatically factor in things like electricity being used as fuel.

The EPA also agrees. They provide that on the EPA window sticker (lower left corner):

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=bt1

Very interesting post! Once I got my 2010 FFH, I stopped any further filling after the first pump shutoff. Those cars overflow goes out on the ground to the rear of the tire. It's probably not a good Idea to try to "top off" any of these cars unless you are trying to escape nuclear fall-out or something like that.

Bottom line is if you put 14.1 in (and assuming there was nothing still in there that wasn't picked up), then you had to burn off 0.6 gallons before that pressure relief valve opened up again. During that time if you had happened to put your car under conditions where the fuel tank could have built up pressure, the only way to relieve that pressure would have been to push those 0.6 gallons out the filler neck or into the evap tubing. Now I'm sure with ~2.5 gallons of air in there it would take some pretty extreme conditions to actually cause that much pressure change, but the point is putting 14.1 gallons in is starting to use up the safety margins designed into the system.

Waldo, thanks very much for posting this information. I now have a better understanding of how the FFH's fuel tank works. I will be changing my habits when refueling (max of 1 extra click).

This discussion has me now wondering if a nose high or tail high incline while refueling results in more fuel in the tank? I am guessing nose high allows more fuel into the tank assuming the filler tube enters the forward half of the tank (only speculation on my part). If my guess is correct, then I will probably avoid the "extra click" when the nose is high.

Really interesting info, Waldo - thanks!!! Explains a lot of the variance we see. Appreciate you taking the time to post and explain it so nicely.