Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

FFH has a 14.1gal Fuel Tank

fuel tank

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 687 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX SEL
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 18 December 2014 - 10:12 AM

In post #3 (http://fordfusionhyb...l-tank/?p=90792) GrySql provided a detailed description of what happens when the Fuel Pump Assembly (FP) Reservoir runs dry. I suspect GrySql found this in a shop manual or similar resource.

Are you saying this is what happens to our FFHs everytime it cycles between the ICE and EV? I could be wrong, but I suspect that is not even close to what happens during normal driving and to characterize the normal cycling between ICE and EV the same as running the gas tank dry would be incorrect.

I do have the shop manual and the only thing that I see as different mechanically is the fuel in the fuel line isn't pressurized because fuel pump can't pump air. From the injectors forward it would appear to be the same. :)

Paul PS BTW last I checked there has been 211 views to this thread so far, apparently there are quiet a few curious about their tank size. :)

Edited by ptjones, 18 December 2014 - 10:17 AM.

163299.png 600 Club

Current Record:  12/30/2014  902.2 mi.  63.8 mpg  14.13  gal. (Actual GPS:  922 mi.  68 mpg  13.5 gal.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 10:43 AM

I do have the shop manual and the only thing that I see as different mechanically is the fuel in the fuel line isn't pressurized because fuel pump can't pump air. From the injectors forward it would appear to be the same. :)

But that's a BIG, BIG difference.  If the computer commands injectors to open and the pressure isn't what is expected, the fuel injector won't inject as much fuel as the computer intends and you will have a lean condition.  Going suddenly lean while the engine is under load can cause detonation which can lead to engine damage.  On my RX7 turbo it was a well known issue that running out of fuel while on the track and running under boost would produce a blown apex seal almost every time.  Now the piston rings in the FFH and just about every other ICE of the last 50 years are much more robust than the apex seals in an RX7 and the FFH doesn't have boost so the chances of causing damage are much less, but a controlled shut down by the computer is a much different scenario than running out of fuel.

• hybridbear likes this

#23 OFFLINE   Easy Rider

Easy Rider

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Titanium
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 18 December 2014 - 12:27 PM

apparently there are quiet a few curious about their tank size. :)

An assumption that might not be true either.

Maybe there are just curious to see why anyone would bother !!  ;)

#24 OFFLINE   jeffo65

jeffo65

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 312 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion SE Hybrid, 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Posted 18 December 2014 - 12:45 PM

apparently there are quiet a few curious about their tank size. :)

I am more entertained with the squabbling back and forth than the actual size of the tank.  :)

But thanks for the research on the size of the tank.

• jeff_h, acdii, ptjones and 3 others like this
228095.png<p> 

#25 OFFLINE   SteveB_TX

SteveB_TX

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 933 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Our stable: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE, 2013 Ford F-150 XLT Ecoboost Super Crew

Posted 18 December 2014 - 03:05 PM

:lurk: :lurk: :lurk:

• jeff_h, hybridbear and corncobs like this

White Platinum Metallic Tri-Coat

Light Dune Leather interior

All of the bells and whistles (without that silly panoramic roof).

#26 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 977 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion S Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 18 December 2014 - 03:12 PM

Going suddenly lean while the engine is under load can cause detonation which can lead to engine damage. 

Only speculation on my part, but I suspect the lean condition is what can affect the emissions systems that the owners manual warns about.

I am more entertained with the squabbling back and forth than the actual size of the tank.  :)

LOL!   I am very surprised no popcorn munchers have not showed up yet. CC ususally provides the butter.

• hybridbear and corncobs like this

#27 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 977 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 03:14 PM

There, you see!  Just as a I was composing the above post the wise guy from Texas supplied the popcorn.

I know Consumer reports has a mixed reputation within the forum but here is what they have to say about damage to the car by running out of fuel. I would struggle trying to think of a reason why they would have an axe to grind on this subject: 

http://www.consumerr...ostly/index.htm

I believe I have already exceeded the threshold to qualify for "beating a dead horse".   horse2.gif   I'll now enjoy some of the Texas popcorn.

Edited by Texasota, 18 December 2014 - 04:02 PM.

• hybridbear, GrySql and jeffo65 like this

#28 OFFLINE   corncobs

corncobs

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2,836 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 FFH

Posted 18 December 2014 - 03:48 PM

LOL!   I am very surprised no popcorn munchers have not showed up yet. CC ususally provides the butter.

Your wish is my command ;)

I'm going all in this time. :)

snacks_tray.jpg

Sorry no butter in the picture.

Edited by corncobs, 18 December 2014 - 03:50 PM.

• acdii, hybridbear, GrySql and 1 other like this
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE - Lady in Red
Ruby Red / 505A, Tech Pkg, Rear Sensing System, 18" Luxury Wheels

215477.png

#29 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 687 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 04:19 PM

But thanks for the research on the size of the tank.

Where this started was on the CMAX forum where we have a 600+mi. Club of which we have over 50 members and the question came up how big is the tank. This would determine how far you could go on a tank of gas. So a number of us ran our tanks dry with a 2gal gas can in reserve if we needed it to find out. We came up with 13.9-14gallons for a total. Currently there are three of us at about 900mi. and we think 1,000mi. on a tank is possible.  I'm surprised there isn't a 600+ Club with a list of members on this Forum, I apparently  Range and MPG's aren't as important on this Site. :)

Paul

Paul

Edited by ptjones, 18 December 2014 - 04:21 PM.

163299.png 600 Club

Current Record:  12/30/2014  902.2 mi.  63.8 mpg  14.13  gal. (Actual GPS:  922 mi.  68 mpg  13.5 gal.

#30 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 977 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 04:23 PM

I'm surprised there isn't a 600+ Club with a list of members on this Forum, I apparently  Range and MPG's aren't as important on this Site. :)

The OCD on this forum is kept under control with regular group therapy sessions.

• jeff_h, acdii and hybridbear like this

#31 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Yes
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 18 December 2014 - 04:54 PM

I'm surprised there isn't a 600+ Club with a list of members on this Forum, I apparently  Range and MPG's aren't as important on this Site. :)

As you know we do have a 600+ Topic with members who report in, just not a formal list of names.  

Here's a picture of the notorious FFH fuel tank, emissions system & canister:

Attached File  Screen Shot 2014-12-18 at 1.53.07 PM.png   497.63KB   4 downloads

• jeff_h, ptjones, hybridbear and 1 other like this
The Time Machine....
'13 FFH SE - Platinum White
Custom ordered, build date: 11/30/12, delivered: 12/12/12 - Sold: 09/05/15

#32 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 687 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 05:19 PM

As you know we do have a 600+ Topic with members who report in, just not a formal list of names.  

Here's a picture of the notorious FFH fuel tank, emissions system & canister:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-12-18 at 1.53.07 PM.png

I saw the 600+ mile thread and was hoping the OP or someone would create a list like the CMAX one to encourage more members to get involved. Just a thought, I did one for LifeTime numbers.  BTW great pic and no suspension too. :)

Paul

163299.png 600 Club

#33 OFFLINE   mwr

mwr

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 685 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2015 FFH SE

Posted 18 December 2014 - 10:17 PM

Currently there are three of us at about 900mi. and we think 1,000mi. on a tank is possible.

900 miles on 14 gallons is 64 mpg. How to you get that unless the cars are Energi/plug-ins?

• ptjones likes this

IMG_2641c_160w.jpg

#34 OFFLINE   DeeCee

DeeCee

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 418 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2004 Toyota Tacoma, 2017 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2017

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:25 AM

For some of us we just enjoy the FFH many attributes and don't get so obsessed with seeing how far we can go on a tank of gas. I am perfectly happy with the mileage I get and don't intend to go much past the yellow low fuel alert before I fill it up.

Edited by DeeCee, 19 December 2014 - 12:25 AM.

• hybridbear, GrySql, corncobs and 1 other like this

2017 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid

Reserve

MKZ Technology package

White Platinum

Cappuccino Leather

#35 OFFLINE   hermans

hermans

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,341 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2015 MKC - 2013 MKZh

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:02 AM

Agreed, I've never seen the red marker in mine and I don't intend to. Now, for my impression of Hilary Clinton - 13.5 or 14.1, what difference does it make?

• acdii, DeeCee and Texasota like this

2016 Edge Titanium

2015 Lincoln MKC

2013 MKZ Hybrid

"Your comment is in no way productive. Why don't you find something productive to say?" - hybridbear

#36 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:20 AM

Going 600 miles on a 14 gallon tank or going 300 miles, putting in 7 gallons and then going another 300 miles and putting in 7 gallons costs me exactly the same, so why would I care?

• acdii, DeeCee, corncobs and 2 others like this

#37 OFFLINE   jeff_h

jeff_h

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,774 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:25 AM

For some of us we just enjoy the FFH many attributes and don't get so obsessed with seeing how far we can go on a tank of gas.

For me (and probably several others) it can be summed up as:  Interested in it, yes... obsessed with it, no.  So it's nice to make note of it but no need for lists.

Edited by jeff_h, 19 December 2014 - 08:25 AM.

• DeeCee, hybridbear and jeffo65 like this

2013 Fusion Titanium Energi Deep Impact Blue

204627.png

#38 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:53 AM

Besides, if you were really obsessed with getting the best fuel economy, you'd get it down close to empty then only put in 1 gallon, then repeat.  Carrying around all that extra fuel hurts fuel economy.

• hybridbear and corncobs like this

#39 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 687 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 10:57 AM

900 miles on 14 gallons is 64 mpg. How to you get that unless the cars are Energi/plug-ins?

Here is how it's done, Put Grill Covers on, 50PSI tire pressure, P&G (Pulse and Glide), don't be in a hurry, be a where of the driving conditions ahead  and take advantage of them.  My LifeTime brake score is 98% and on a 900mi. tank my ICE miles are only 28%. I have two trips to AZ where I started from Newnan,GA to around Weatherford, TX, 909mi. and 910mi. using State Routes mostly 55mph. Both trips temps where in the 70-80*F no A/C and minimized the number of stops. For many of us CMAXers it is Fun/Challenge/Game to try to keep improving ours skills, to take a boring activity and make it entertaining. :yahoo:  :shift:

Paul

Edited by ptjones, 19 December 2014 - 11:03 AM.

• jeffo65 and HighwayJerk like this

163299.png 600 Club

#40 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 977 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:57 PM

Going 600 miles on a 14 gallon tank or going 300 miles, putting in 7 gallons and then going another 300 miles and putting in 7 gallons costs me exactly the same, so why would I care?

On a highway trip 300 miles is about the max duration for my bladder. When I stop I fill up at the same time, otherwise, I'm making another stop another 150, or so, miles down the road. Not a very efficient use of my travel time.

I have two trips to AZ where I started from Newnan,GA to around Weatherford, TX, 909mi. and 910mi. using State Routes mostly 55mph. Both trips temps where in the 70-80*F no A/C and minimized the number of stops.

Enjoy and knock yourself out but that sounds like an extremely miserable 900 mile trip to me.

Only speculation on my part, but I suspect most people that purchase a FFH choose this car because it is very comfortable to drive, especially on long trips, and it gets great MPG at the same time. That is the case for me and I did not purchase it to be miserable while driving it.

• acdii, DeeCee and corncobs like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fuel, tank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·