ptjones

FFH has a 14.1gal Fuel Tank

For those that think gas pods work... I have some land in Florida, Texas, and Louisiana you might be interesting in as well. ;)

Hey! I have one of those Tornado intake thingies that was given to me. They are good for 2-3 MPG! Oh! Oh! I also have a few of those fuel line magnets that will guarantee you get at least another 1 to 2 mpg improvement! Let me know if either will work for ya! Okay? ;)

I always trust Texans. I'll check out the the Texas land first. ;) ...I could be wrong, but I'm thinking the group therapy will not be effective...

What I find incredible is that the C-Max has lower EPA ratings than the Fusion due to higher aerodynamic drag, but its owners have way exceeded anything that Fusion owners have done in terms of peak MPGs.

It seems to me that maybe the C-max owners are more into the hypermiling techniques than the FFH owners are. :) Me, I'm just happy looking good while I'm getting 50 MPG without any extraordinary hypermiling practices.

The car computer mpg calculations are the most precise and repeatable. They usually have an offset error that is constant and once you know what it is, the corrected mpg is the most accurate. Variations in fueling pump shutoff levels produce much more inaccuracy. For instance, my 2010 FFH calculations are 4 % too high for mpg. The odometer, however reads 2 % low in miles traveled. That yields an overall error of 2 % high in the mpg calculations. That's 1 mpg.

Hypermiling to me means P&G, Drafting, watching speed and taking advantage of traffic to Maximizing braking score.

Here is an article/video about hypermiling. Many of these techniques are dangerous to yourself and other motorists and they are also illegal:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cops-hypermiling-often-risky-illegal/

From the above article about hypermiling techniques:

They include rolling through stop signs to avoid braking, turning off a car's engine or shifting into neutral to coast down hills, over-inflating tires to decrease rolling resistance against pavement, and other techniques.

One action that authorities say is particularly dangerous is called "drafting," tailgating big rigs in hopes of cutting wind resistance and being pulled along in a truck's wake.

"Every one of them is illegal," Connecticut State Police spokesman Trooper William Tate said of the "hypermiling" techniques.

"But more importantly, they're extremely dangerous. Every one of them is the cause of accidents," he said.

Edited by Texasota

Not over the long term it doesn't.

How DID you determine the error factor with the onboard calculation if not by manual filling ??

But I also generally agree with what you said.

And just out of curiosity, how did you go about figuring the error factor with the ODO ?

The long term is correct; probably 10 fill ups. That's how I got the correction factor. I got the odometer error by comparing GPS distances and interstate mile markers with the odometer. Everything agrees. The odometer error did not measurably change over 60K miles of the OEM Michelins tire life.

Fueling is probably only accurate at repeat fill-ups with auto shut off of the same pump.

This car very accurately knows how much fuel it is using. It needs to know for a variety of operational reasons so the calculations are easy. Why are they always too high? Marketing and the lack of strict regulations. The net 2% error that I've measured is very low. They could make it 0.2 % if they wanted to.

Edited by lolder

For me 50-100ft works on Semi's for me, gives me enough time to react and I try to see what is going on up the HWY too.

If you are 50 feet behind a semi at highway speeds you do not have enough time to react. At 65 MPH you are traveling 96 feet per second. Most state driver exams require familarity with the "three second rule" which requires 288 feet separation at 65 MPH on roads in good driving conditions.

50 feet is only 16.7 yards and you can't see around the semi to see what is going on up ahead on the highway. Nor can the semi driver see you in his mirrors.

Do you do this to other motorists as well, or just semi's?

Edited by Texasota

Love the math but you might be drafting PT's tailgate a bit too close, he's gonna do what he's gonna do.

Point taken - but I would not be drafting at all if it wasn’t for the aggressive cajoling and recruiting of others to participate in this behavior.