ptjones

FFH has a 14.1gal Fuel Tank

Going suddenly lean while the engine is under load can cause detonation which can lead to engine damage.

Only speculation on my part, but I suspect the lean condition is what can affect the emissions systems that the owners manual warns about.

I am more entertained with the squabbling back and forth than the actual size of the tank. :)

LOL! I am very surprised no popcorn munchers have not showed up yet. CC ususally provides the butter.

There, you see! Just as a I was composing the above post the wise guy from Texas supplied the popcorn.

I know Consumer reports has a mixed reputation within the forum but here is what they have to say about damage to the car by running out of fuel. I would struggle trying to think of a reason why they would have an axe to grind on this subject:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2011/05/running-on-empty-low-gas-in-the-tank-can-be-costly/index.htm

I believe I have already exceeded the threshold to qualify for "beating a dead horse". horse2.gif I'll now enjoy some of the Texas popcorn.

Edited by Texasota

LOL! I am very surprised no popcorn munchers have not showed up yet. CC ususally provides the butter.

Your wish is my command ;)

I'm going all in this time. :)

snacks_tray.jpg

Sorry no butter in the picture.

Edited by corncobs

I am more entertained with the squabbling back and forth than the actual size of the tank. :)

But thanks for the research on the size of the tank.

Where this started was on the CMAX forum where we have a 600+mi. Club of which we have over 50 members and the question came up how big is the tank. This would determine how far you could go on a tank of gas. So a number of us ran our tanks dry with a 2gal gas can in reserve if we needed it to find out. We came up with 13.9-14gallons for a total. Currently there are three of us at about 900mi. and we think 1,000mi. on a tank is possible. I'm surprised there isn't a 600+ Club with a list of members on this Forum, I apparently Range and MPG's aren't as important on this Site. :)

Paul

Paul

Edited by ptjones

I'm surprised there isn't a 600+ Club with a list of members on this Forum, I apparently Range and MPG's aren't as important on this Site. :)

The OCD on this forum is kept under control with regular group therapy sessions.

I'm surprised there isn't a 600+ Club with a list of members on this Forum, I apparently Range and MPG's aren't as important on this Site. :)

As you know we do have a 600+ Topic with members who report in, just not a formal list of names.

Here's a picture of the notorious FFH fuel tank, emissions system & canister:

post-11309-0-16836500-1418939652_thumb.png

As you know we do have a 600+ Topic with members who report in, just not a formal list of names.

Here's a picture of the notorious FFH fuel tank, emissions system & canister:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-12-18 at 1.53.07 PM.png

I saw the 600+ mile thread and was hoping the OP or someone would create a list like the CMAX one to encourage more members to get involved. Just a thought, I did one for LifeTime numbers. BTW great pic and no suspension too. :)

Paul

Currently there are three of us at about 900mi. and we think 1,000mi. on a tank is possible.

900 miles on 14 gallons is 64 mpg. How to you get that unless the cars are Energi/plug-ins?

For some of us we just enjoy the FFH many attributes and don't get so obsessed with seeing how far we can go on a tank of gas. I am perfectly happy with the mileage I get and don't intend to go much past the yellow low fuel alert before I fill it up.

Edited by DeeCee

Agreed, I've never seen the red marker in mine and I don't intend to. Now, for my impression of Hilary Clinton - 13.5 or 14.1, what difference does it make?

Going 600 miles on a 14 gallon tank or going 300 miles, putting in 7 gallons and then going another 300 miles and putting in 7 gallons costs me exactly the same, so why would I care?

For some of us we just enjoy the FFH many attributes and don't get so obsessed with seeing how far we can go on a tank of gas.

For me (and probably several others) it can be summed up as: Interested in it, yes... obsessed with it, no. So it's nice to make note of it but no need for lists.

Edited by jeff_h

Besides, if you were really obsessed with getting the best fuel economy, you'd get it down close to empty then only put in 1 gallon, then repeat. Carrying around all that extra fuel hurts fuel economy.

900 miles on 14 gallons is 64 mpg. How to you get that unless the cars are Energi/plug-ins?

Here is how it's done, Put Grill Covers on, 50PSI tire pressure, P&G (Pulse and Glide), don't be in a hurry, be a where of the driving conditions ahead and take advantage of them. My LifeTime brake score is 98% and on a 900mi. tank my ICE miles are only 28%. I have two trips to AZ where I started from Newnan,GA to around Weatherford, TX, 909mi. and 910mi. using State Routes mostly 55mph. Both trips temps where in the 70-80*F no A/C and minimized the number of stops. For many of us CMAXers it is Fun/Challenge/Game to try to keep improving ours skills, to take a boring activity and make it entertaining. :yahoo: :shift:

Paul

Edited by ptjones

Going 600 miles on a 14 gallon tank or going 300 miles, putting in 7 gallons and then going another 300 miles and putting in 7 gallons costs me exactly the same, so why would I care?

On a highway trip 300 miles is about the max duration for my bladder. When I stop I fill up at the same time, otherwise, I'm making another stop another 150, or so, miles down the road. Not a very efficient use of my travel time.

I have two trips to AZ where I started from Newnan,GA to around Weatherford, TX, 909mi. and 910mi. using State Routes mostly 55mph. Both trips temps where in the 70-80*F no A/C and minimized the number of stops.

Enjoy and knock yourself out but that sounds like an extremely miserable 900 mile trip to me.

Only speculation on my part, but I suspect most people that purchase a FFH choose this car because it is very comfortable to drive, especially on long trips, and it gets great MPG at the same time. That is the case for me and I did not purchase it to be miserable while driving it.

I met my goals when the car was purchased.

1. Buy something the wife wanted/liked

2. Find something that got better MPGs than the Impala she traded in and her 68 Mustang GT in the garage (She does have a heavy foot)

3. Make her happy

4. Keep her happy

5. Repeat #4

She still enjoys the FFH and does not regret buying it. She gets upset when she fills up and her tank mpg is less than the previous fill up. She enjoys going out for dinner with her girlfriends and having people tell her the FFH is a nice looking car, especially when she parks it next to her friends Prius.

Any information that I can pass onto her about the car she appreciates.

The short answer is:

The cars that achieve that ARE plug-ins. :)

The short answer is:

The cars that achieve that ARE plug-ins. :)

Then I guess the long answer is we are very good Hybrid drivers. :yahoo: :happy feet: :shift:

This is a partial list of the CMAX 600+ Club with over 50 members, all having fun driving their Hybrids and saving money.

• Moderators
  • cmaxplatinum.png
  • 3,198 posts
  • LocationSan Fernando, CA
  • My C-MAX's Color:White Platinum
  • Current Vehicle:SEL

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

8681893777_a8152e9bb0.jpg

Ok, this is a simple club....clock 600 or more miles on one tank, take a picture of it and you're in... yahoo.gif

The Club Honor Roll:

900+ Bar 1st driver to Summit: Jus-A-CMax

twister.gif Jus-A-Cmax (901/689.4 EV using 13.67 gallons and 65.8 MPG), member since 01/23/2013 [Aeromodded with Grill Covers & Gas Pods]

800+ Bar 1st driver to Summit: Jus-A-CMax

headspin.gifptjones (896.2/639 EV using 13.77 gallons and 65 MPG), member since 01/23/2013 [Aeromodded with Grill Covers & Gas Pods]

fotomoto (894.7/695.4EV using 13.68 gallons and 65.3 MPG), member since 09/27/2013

HannahWCU (802.1/542 EV) 61.8 MPG, using 12.96 gallons, member since 10/23/2013

ScubaDadMiami (800.1/626.6 EV) 63 MPG,using 12.68 gallons, member since 12/7/2013

700+ Bar 1st Driver to Summit: Recumpence

yahoo.gif Recumpence (766/512.7 EV using 13.26 gallons and 57.7MPG), member since 04/10/2013

Seth7721 (724 fuelly.com aka Super Sipper) member since 07/01/2013

snakebitten (716.8/465.4 EV using 12.73 gallons and 56.2 MPG) member since 8/12/2014

HPRifleman (710.6/365.9 EV using 13.37 gallons and 53.1 MPG), member since 06/20/2013

fbov (707.0/503.3 EV using 13.27 gallons and 53.2 MPG) member since 6/23/2014

frbill (704.1/420.6 EV using 12.57 gallons and 55.9 MPG) member since 06/27/2013

orphoto (700.7/368.5 EV using 12.95 gallons and 54.4MPG) member since 05/10/2013

camera.gif 50th member: CMax-Traveler (700.7/477.4 EV using 13.46 gallons and 52.06 MPG) member since 09/27/2013

600+ Bar 1st Drivers to Summit: ptjones & Jus-A-CMax

Paul

Edited by ptjones

• cmaxplatinum.png
  • 3,198 posts

Quite an accomplishment for those C-max owners. What is a Gas Pod modification?

On a side note, I noticed one member was in San Fernando, CA - I grew up there until age 18. Don't see that little town mentioned much.

Edited by GrySql

Quite an accomplishment for those C-max owners. What is a Gas Pod modification?

On a side note, I noticed one member was in San Fernando, CA - I grew up there until age 18. Don't see that little town mentioned much.

GasPods are little magnetic aerodynamic plastic devices to improve air flow at the back of the car.

http://www.nomorerac...spods_aerohance or look up GasPods or Aerohance. I think I get about 1/2 improvement on FWY. We have many members using them.

We have many members in SoCal area. I grew up in Reseda until I was 12 and spent 10yrs in Coast Mesa when got out of the Army to go to Orange Coast College and start a family. :)

Paul

Edited by ptjones

My wife grew up in Reseda, plus, B25Nut on this Forum also grew up in Reseda.

Hey! I have one of those Tornado intake thingies that was given to me. They are good for 2-3 MPG! Oh! Oh! I also have a few of those fuel line magnets that will guarantee you get at least another 1 to 2 mpg improvement! Let me know if either will work for ya! Okay? ;)

My wife grew up in Reseda, plus, B25Nut on this Forum also grew up in Reseda.

That's Funny, small world also back then only there was half as many people living in USA. LOL SOCAL was a great place to live back in 1970.

Hey! I have one of those Tornado intake thingies that was given to me. They are good for 2-3 MPG! Oh! Oh! I also have a few of those fuel line magnets that will guarantee you get at least another 1 to 2 mpg improvement! Let me know if either will work for ya! Okay? ;)

We are out of luck on those, they were for carburetor ICE's twenty years ago. LOL :drop: Results will very depending car, FFH is more aerodynamic on the back end than CMAX so it might not make a difference. Maybe someone on FFH forum has tried them out already. They work on airplanes for years. :)

Paul