GrySql

FFH factoids & parts quiz

Is this because there was a recall on the 2013 fuel system? Would that impact the ratings?

It could be. I just recently filled out my survey from Consumer Reports but I don't remember exactly how the questions were worded. I don't recall them saying to exclude recalls. Here is how CR characterizes the reliability scores:

The scores reflect the percentage of owners who said they had serious problems with their vehicles during the previous 12 months, taking into account cost, failure, safety, or downtime, in each of 16 trouble spots.

B-17's over Germany in WWII didn't have this much help limping home !

They did have four engines though.

Edited by lolder

While reviewing this thread today, I came across this old post and noticed no answer was ever given. I'm fairly sure the hybrid that does not have a "creep" mode would be the VW Jetta Hybrid. The Jetta Hybrid has a Dual Clutch Transmission, which is why it would have no "creep" mode. For those not familiar with a Dual Clutch, it is essentially a robotically shifted manual transmission and, like a manual, the car has no gear activated (the clutch is held open) when the engine is idling. This makes it more difficult to maneuver in tight spaces as the clutch has to re-engage, to put the car in gear, before the car will move.

I assume by "creep" mode you mean that the car will slowly creep forward when it is in gear and when you take your foot off the brake (like a car equipped with a convention automatic transmission). I owned a 2012 Ford Focus which was equipped with a Dual Clutch Transmission. This DCT would simulate "creep" mode. With the transmission in gear the Focus would slowly move forward just like a car with a conventional automatic transmission. I could be wrong, but I think most DCTs do this. But I agree, a car without "creep" mode would be more difficult to park.

Edited by Texasota

Talking about creep mode, which I like, I'd like to discuss coasting.

When coasting downhill, foot off the gas pedal and brake, the car does not seem to be as free as it should as compared to other cars I've driven (automatic transmissions). It feels like engine braking on a manual transmission car. My Scangauge and the battery icon on the dashboard shows me at this time the battery is being charged. And I think that's why I feel the car does not coast freely.

There is a sweet spot if I just touch the throttle, then seems to coast freely.

I would prefer that the battery not be charged when coasting downhill so the car picks up maximum speed, then I would apply the brakes as needed to start the regen braking process to slow down. Or maybe the other way is more fuel efficient?

Any thoughts?

Speaking of which, Ford just issued a CSP for that great DPS6 transmission.

I got a letter from Ford last year annoucing a warranty extension just like that for my 2012 Focus a few weeks after I brought home my 2015 FFH. It is a shame, that transmission ruined what was in most all other respects a great little car.

I would prefer that the battery not be charged when coasting downhill so the car picks up maximum speed, then I would apply the brakes as needed to start the regen braking process to slow down. Or maybe the other way is more fuel efficient?

Any thoughts?

With cruise control on or off? I personally like that when the CC is on I get regen coasting downhill while at the same time maintaining the set speed. I'm not fond of the aggressive compression braking from the ICE. With CC off my FFH does some regen downhill but if it is a steep hill I still pick up speed quickly while coasting.

Glad you are still hanging around here, CC. Seems like this forum is less active lately.

Glad you are still hanging around here, CC. Seems like this forum is less active lately.

The cars are mature now and most of the early items are petering out. The old age items haven't started yet. The forum that started for the 2010's ( http://www.fordfusionforum.com/forum/57-ford-fusion-hybrid/) is very quiet. The FEH forum is moderately active with aging issues.

I had similar thoughts. The gen 2 FFH is now into its 4th year with the 2016s showing up and there are a few 2016 owners posting on the forum.

A FEH forum ( http://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/f26/) has threads about wrecked and used cars and trying to make one work with hybrid parts from different FEHs. They had some problems with MEC pumps , cooling vent doors and filters and HVB cooling fans that were addressed by Ford but not everybody gets the word. Later Ford hybrids do not have these problems. There appears to be only one main source for aftermarket Ford HVBs which is Dorman. There were about 130,000 FEHs made vs. 70,000 1st generation FFH, MKZ, Milans, and over 100,000 2nd generations so far.