GrySql

FFH factoids & parts quiz

Continuing with the Hybrid Electric Control Software, the Creep Mode was the first item:

Driving Modes

There are five fundamental operating modes in the hybrid electric system:

• series mode

• electric mode

• positive split mode

• negative split mode

• engine cranking mode

Series Mode

The system operates in this mode when the engine is running and the vehicle is not moving. This is the preferred mode whenever the high voltage traction battery is charging, passenger compartment temperature control, high voltage traction battery temperature control or catalyst warm up is necessary.

Electric Mode

The system operates in this mode when the vehicle is propelled by the electrical power stored in the high voltage traction battery. The torque is supplied to the output shafts by the traction motor. This is the preferred mode whenever the desired torque is low and can be produced more efficiently by the electrical system than the engine. The electric mode is also used in reverse because the engine can deliver torque only in a forward direction.

Come on, GrySql! I'm not going to sleep a wink tonight until I get to read about the remaining three modes. You are a tease.

Did you catch that part where the ICE works only in Forward, the Traction Motor provides Reverse.

Yes, I did. It makes you realize how much the HVB and EV system is fully integrated into the design of this car. If the HVB somehow becomes fully discharged (or fails) you are going to be calling AAA.

Going to get some warm milk now and a couple of Meagan's cookies.

If the HVB ever fails, you will be calling AAA anyway Texasota (or in my case, Lincoln Lifetime Roadside Assistance!) :) On the flip side, if the HVB is fully discharged (which we all know is a BAD thing), the ICE will start up and and provide the required go juice to back up, unless the converter is toast, then yes, you will have to call AAA. You will still need to take your car in to the dealer, since your HVB should NEVER be fully discharged. Unless you are like GrySql and keep running tests to check his factoids! ;)

Edited by SteveB_TX

The system prevents the HVB from ever being completely disharged ( unless there is a system failure ). Only the HVB cranks the ICE so if the HVB is discharged, it's tow to the dealer time. Of course there was another problem also.

Electric Mode

The electric mode is also used in reverse because the engine can deliver torque only in a forward direction.

While I was laying awake all night (thanks, GrySql) I was wondering more about this. Okay, the ICE can only apply torque in a forward direction. But, can the ICE charge the HVB while I am driving in reverse?

I was wondering if I would be in trouble if I drove down a dead end ally that was three miles long forcing me to back out all the way? I suppose I could stop and put it into park to allow the HVB to charge if charging in reverse is not possible.

Engine Cranking Mode

When the PCM requests the engine cranking mode, the generator motor rapidly accelerates the engine speed up to about 950 RPM in about 0.3 seconds. When the engine speed reaches a calibrated speed the PCM commands the delivery of fuel and spark at the appropriate time.

I'm guessing this largely explains why we enjoy the almost seamless transition from EV back to ICE running and powering the car. From most of the literature I have read, the FFH is amongst the best in making this a smooth transition.

Yes the ICE generates electricity in reverse. About once a year the Gen II 2010-12 FFH's periodically ( Re )-Condition the HVB by fully charging it for 15+ minutes and inhibiting EV completely. If you want to reverse before that is complete, the re-conditioning is cancelled so you can use EV in reverse. It may initiate again shortly and complete.

When you accelerate moderately forward, the ICE and EV contribute. Find a big empty space and floor it in reverse. The ICE will run but it is not propelling the car and you will see how strong the EV alone is.

The cars will not move without the EV system functioning. If that shuts down for a malfunction, the cars coast to a stop. The ICE cannot propel the car without the EV system functioning. The car will go a short distance of about a mile in EV if the ICE quits.

Edited by lolder

Yes the ICE generates electricity in reverse.

The ICE has charged my HVB in reverse probably 15-20 times, as my house is at the top of a hill in my neighborhood and if I time it just right the EV+ uses the HVB so it is very low and then when I go to back into the driveway and garage (another uphill) if right around that time it has passed the threshold where the HVB out of EV+ then the ICE will start and charge the HVB while I am backing uphill into the garage. I originally thought the EV was powering in reverse but have since read on various posts that it does not, so if that's the case then the ICE is definitely charging the HVB as I'm going in reverse.

The Fusion will occasionally under ideal conditions only send power from the ICE to the wheels without involving the electric motors. However, since the FFH eCVT is not all mounted on one axle, like the Toyota eCVTs, it cannot really do this mode because power has to go through the traction motor which is mounted on a different axle and goes to the wheels.

HB, the above seems unclear. Sounds like you are saying that Parallel Mode does not apply to the FFH?

I am going to disagree. i believe the different architecture of the Toyotas and Fords does not cause these differences. The block diagrams are the same except for an additional planetary gear in the Gen III Prius to lower MG! speed to allow higher EV speed. Their modes are the same but implemented in slightly different ways and proportions due to design objectives.

The Toyota systems can charge in reverse. From Wikipedia Hybrid Synergy Drive entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_Synergy_Drive:

"Reverse gear: There is no reverse gear as in a conventional gearbox: the computer feeds negative voltage to MG2, applying negative torque to the wheels. Early models did not supply enough torque for some situations: there have been reports of early Prius owners not being able to back the car up steep hills in San Francisco. The problem has been fixed in recent models. If the battery is low, the system can simultaneously run the engine and draw power from MG1, although this will reduce available reverse torque at the wheels."

It is rare that there is no electrical function at all as MG1 controls the transmission and engine speed but it is small at highway speeds unless the HVB charge is above or below the nominal target.

Edited by lolder

Glad to see classes have resumed. ;)

I haven't given much thought to the power down sequence but I have wondered what was going on during the power up sequence since there is the noticeable time lag from when you turn the key to the "ready to drive" message. I was familiar with almost all of the acronyms but had to lookup LOS (Limited Operating Strategy) in our acronym decoder thread. Very informative, GrySql.

Will there be quizzes or exams?

So the question is will the ICE start if the car is in neutral and cabin heat is called for due to low outside temperature? If not then under those conditions it would mimic a Go Time pre-condition of the cabin if you were plugged in.

Gary

No, the ICE will not start in neutral except in one rare instance, at least in the Gen II 2010-12s. If you are coasting down a long hill in "N" and gain speed from below the max 47 mph EV speed to above, the ICE will start ( or be motorized, it's hard to tell ) so as to keep MG1 rpm below limits. MG1 is the motor-generator connected to the center "Sun" gear of the planetary gear. It controls the transmission power splitting, charges the HVB and starts the ICE. It is the heart of everything.

Was your car plugged in when you did your test in the garage. What I was wondering is can I get the benefit of pre-conditioning using remote start while it is plugged in without the ICE starting?

Duh, never mind you don't have an Energi. It would be interesting to see if it would work that way. My car is not here with us while we are in Seattle, so I can't test it myself.

Edited by garymkrieg

If you leave the car in Accessory, the HVB will keep the car alive by charging the 12 vdc battery until the HVB gets to it's low shutoff limit when the HVB is disconnected. The 12 vdc battery will power things until it dies. The car is then dead until you jump the 12 vdc. It may take a few minutes for the dead 12 vdc to come up enough for the computers to allow the HVB to be connected again. The HVB will be below normal charge level but will be enough to start the ICE. The HVB will recharge in a few minutes but the 12 vdc will take much longer and you should probably put an automatic charger on it overnight. You probably haven't done the 12 vdc much good and it's life is probably shortened by such an event ( BT,DT ).

Edited by lolder

BTW, after I get done with this hybrid software section I think we'll move to the eCVT section and explore that system. Seems to be a lot of general interest in how the eCVT actually moves the car.

A syllabus! Great idea, GrySql. We'll know what to look forward to in the next sessions!