GrySql

FFH factoids & parts quiz

While in transport mode, the IPC displays TRANSPORT MODE CONTACT DEALER in the message center.

That's how my FFH was when I took the first drive, it had just arrived at the dealer and they let me take a drive in it before they did PDI.

Okay, too easy huh?

Can you tell me what the arrow is pointing at?

SRA_zps2e15ffe6.png

The arrow is pointing to a shiny little box with wires attached. What do I win? ;)

It makes things go Boom.

Boom? I'm betting it is a sensor or control unit for the air bags?

By the way, a few years ago, I checked the possibility of a stuck open accelerator peddle causing a runaway that you couldn't stop with brakes as a Prius driver claimed in Cal. a few years ago. I floored my 2010 FFH and put the brake on with the other foot. The ICE died and the car easily came to a halt. The design of the eCVT systems does not allow a runaway to occur even if there was a multiple failure in the APP systems or a stuck peddle.

Manufacturers claim that even in conventional cars, a full throttle ICE can be stopped by full brake application quickly. Thr eCVT hybrids do it as part of the intrinsic design.

Read this interesting article about unintended acceleration entitled "Braking Bad". http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/11/opinion/11schmidt.html?sq=bad%20brakes&st=cse&adxnnl=1&scp=1&adxnnlx=1268755346-vq/8qoKywOKiazHweontwQ&_r=0

Edited by lolder

I had a '69 Galaxie 500 as a teen. And one time the pedal linkage broke and got stuck in the full throttle position. But fortunately applying the brake did triumph over the acceleration forces, and I was able to stop without incident.

I believe also that when you stop the car with the brake, the torque is not applied so you are not wasting electricity from the "creep" torque.