GrySql

FFH factoids & parts quiz

Low

The range selector LOW position provides:

• engine braking.

• improved traction on slippery roads.

Does using low gear actually improve traction? I can see that it might make better use of the available traction, but not improve it.

Does using low gear actually improve traction? I can see that it might make better use of the available traction, but not improve it.

'Better use of available traction' is improved isn't it? :) They may simply mean that the ICE is under more control.

We've come across many errors in the Owner's Manual now we're finding these errors in the actual service manuals.

I am paraphrasing a 2013-2014 service manual and have not seen the 2015 Manual, I wonder if Ford has updated any of these printing errors.

In addition, after a pretty thorough search I cannot find anywhere where these two items are explained correctly.

Ford has been selling and servicing eCVT hybrids for quite a while now and to find basic description flaws is unexpected.

Edited by GrySql

may be slightly out of place but while talking about the CVT what "type" of CVT is in the FFH? i know there are like 3 styles but is it a belt based, or like the roller style and i think i seen one before with conical gears? (or am i completely delusional there)

It is not a CVT, it's an eCVT. There are no belts. It's totally controlled by electricity.

It is not a CVT, it's an eCVT. There are no belts. It's totally controlled by electricity.

Oh i see and i found a nice forum link explaining things.... man all i can say is "SCIENCE"

these cars are so darn impressive! :worship:

The CVT in the Freestyle is a concoction of sheeves and chains. Not many moving parts in it, but it is interesting in its own way. Surprised they last as long as they do with the metal chain on metal sheeve.

All this eCVT failure talk got me to look at the electrical controls that govern its operation.

This was an interesting find, the 'Transmission Identification Block'.

Can we speculate that lack of lubrication is not the only cause of eCVT failure.

Might the TIB fail or get corrupted data from the PCM and send incorrect solenoid info to the transmission, eventually causing failure?

NOTE: The following is general information only and and may not be complete. This information is for discussion only and not to be used for problem solving with your specific car. This information is not intended to replace or supersede any warranty, parts and service policy, Work Shop Manual (WSM) procedures or technical training or wiring diagram information. Seek qualified automotive help if your car is having drive-ability problems.

==

Transmission Identification Block

The SOBDMC/TCM* (HEV/PHEV) contains a memory area called a transmission identification block.

The transmission identification block commonly stores solenoid body flow data.

If the solenoid body information is not correct, transaxle damage or drivability concerns can occur.

*Secondary on board diagnostic module C/transmission control module

The SOBDCM is also called: the Hybrid Powertrain Control Module (PCM)

-

PCM:

The center of the electronic engine control (EEC) system is a microprocessor called the PCM. The PCM receives input from sensors and other electronic components. Based on information received and programmed into its memory, the PCM generates output signals to control various relays, solenoids, and actuators. The hybrid vehicle uses a 128 pin PCM which has three separate electrical harness connectors.

Powertrain Control Module (PCM), Keep Alive Memory (KAM)

The PCM stores information about vehicle operating conditions in the KAM and then uses this information to compensate for component variability.

The KAM remains powered when the ignition is in the OFF position so the information is not lost.

==

Edited by GrySql

Transmission Identification Block

The SOBDMC/TCM* (HEV/PHEV) contains a memory area called a transmission identification block.

If the solenoid body information is not correct, transaxle damage or drivability concerns can occur.

Interesting find, GrySql. I wonder if the controlling software is able to detect when the information is not correct and display a yellow wrench warning and store a code.

I wonder if the controlling software is able to detect when the information is not correct and display a yellow wrench warning and store a code.

Unknown to me. My source for this info is specific as to repair and troubleshooting, it is not easy to dig thru for answers like that.

The troubleshooting is sort of like 'does it work? yes, stop - no, replace it'.

I find these factoids by typing a word in the search engine of the source and reading the results, it is detective work.

I saw this on another website and liked it:

flow_chart.jpg

Edited by GrySql

I don't believe there are any solenoids in the eCVT like there are in automatic transmissions. There is no change of gear engagement. Nothing "shifts". The failures we have heard of recently are "noisy, grinding sounds" which is most likely mechanical.

Interesting find, GrySql. I wonder if the controlling software is able to detect when the information is not correct and display a yellow wrench warning and store a code.

If this is what I think it is, probably not. Check out the attached file which tells the technician how to download the "transmission strategy" to the TCM. Notice that the transmission ID is one of the two items that get downloaded to the TCM. It's actually the scan tool used for downloading that verifies that the information is valid/correct. Once the scan tool verifies it is valid, it will download to the TCM. I would think you would do this if you changed out the transmission. I don't know if you're familiar with computers, but to me, it would be kind of like updating the BIOS file, and the system verifies that it is the correct BIOS file for the motherboard before it will let you download it to the computer. Once it's been verified and downloaded, there's no reason to check it anymore because it's been determined to be the proper code. So, IMO, the car wouldn't display a message or put up an icon because the code has to be correct to exist in the TCM in the first place.

Transmission Strategy Download.pdf

Trans ID Tags.pdf

Edited by TonyHzNV

A computer computes the checksum for the BIOS code every time it is turned on and will throw an error if it is not correct. It is almost never seen today because eeproms are very reliable. It was a common problem when the BIOS was in an ultraviolet erasable eprom.

The CVT in the Freestyle is a concoction of sheeves and chains. Not many moving parts in it, but it is interesting in its own way. Surprised they last as long as they do with the metal chain on metal sheeve.

Yes, there are a lot of that type around now. I wonder why they don't get groves worn in them?

A computer computes the checksum for the BIOS code every time it is turned on and will throw an error if it is not correct. It is almost never seen today because eeproms are very reliable. It was a common problem when the BIOS was in an ultraviolet erasable eprom.

You are correct, sir! It also computes the checksum for the amount of memory installed, each segment of a file being transferred, etc. This is how it knows that the data is valid and not corrupted. since our cars are basically a number of networked microcomputers, it IS possible that the TCM computes the checksum of the transmission ID block which contains the ID and strategy info and if not correct, COULD throw an error and/or code as Texasota was asking above. I couldn't find anything that said that though.

I don't believe there are any solenoids in the eCVT like there are in automatic transmissions. There is no change of gear engagement. Nothing "shifts". The failures we have heard of recently are "noisy, grinding sounds" which is most likely mechanical.

NOTE: The following is general information only and and may not be complete. This information is for discussion only and not to be used for problem solving with your specific car. This information is not intended to replace or supersede any warranty, parts and service policy, Work Shop Manual (WSM) procedures or technical training or wiring diagram information. Seek qualified automotive help if your car is having drive-ability problems.

--

Don't see any solenoids in this picture of the HF-35 or in the HF-35 parts.pdf.

post-11309-0-80789900-1427147945_thumb.jpg

HF-35 parts.pdf

Edited by GrySql

I don't know if you're familiar with computers, but to me, it would be kind of like updating the BIOS file, and the system verifies that it is the correct BIOS file for the motherboard before it will let you download it to the computer. Once it's been verified and downloaded, there's no reason to check it anymore because it's been determined to be the proper code. So, IMO, the car wouldn't display a message or put up an icon because the code has to be correct to exist in the TCM in the first place.

I interpreted GrySql's original post differently:

I read that as data that is being collected during operation of the transmission (as opposed release/level identification of the controlling software). Of course all of our posts here are only speculation. But, very interesting speculation.

Edited by Texasota

I interpreted GrySql's original post differently:

I read that as data that is being collected during operation of the transmission (as opposed release/level identification of the controlling software). Of course all of our posts here are only speculation. But, very interesting speculation.

I can see how you can interpret it that way too. Partly what made me interpret it the way I did was paragraph #3 in the download instructions:

"3. NOTICE: If the transmission strategy information is not correct, transmission driveability concerns can occur." Very close to "If the solenoid body information is not correct, transaxle damage or driveability concerns can occur."
So, I interpreted that to mean (in other words) that if the incorrect software (for a different transmission) were to somehow be installed, it would cause problems! :)

Yes, there are a lot of that type around now. I wonder why they don't get groves worn in them?

From what I have seen of it, the chain has plastic on the edges that contact the sheeves, so no metal on metal contact.

I thought a little Battery overview might be interesting:

Note the info regarding 'Charging or Jump Starting', there have been comments that it doesn't matter where you do these actions, Ford Engineering thinks otherwise.

==

12V Battery Charging System

The 12V battery is charged by the Direct Current/Direct Current (DC/DC) converter control module. The Battery Monitoring Sensor continuously monitors the battery state of charge condition and provides the BCM with this information. The BCM communicates this information to the PCM over the High Speed Controller Area Network (HS-CAN). The PCM communicates the battery desired setpoint to the Direct Current/Direct Current (DC/DC) converter control module which supplies the necessary charge voltage to the 12V battery. For more information,
Refer to: Direct Current/Direct Current (DC/DC) Converter Control Module - Overview (414-05 Voltage Converter/Inverter, Description and Operation).

12V Battery Management System

NOTICE: When any vehicle module is being programmed, connect an external battery charger to make sure the module programming is completed without interruption due to the load shedding feature becoming active. The external battery charger must maintain a system voltage above 13 volts. This may require a charger setting higher than the lowest charge setting. The external battery charger negative connection must be made to an engine or vehicle chassis ground and not the negative battery terminal. If the connection is to the negative battery terminal, load shedding may begin and module programming may be corrupted. After charging has begun, start the engine to clear any load shed states and then turn the engine off and proceed with programming.

Charging and Jump Starting

Do not charge or jump start the vehicle by connecting to the battery negative terminal. Refer to the Owners Guide for more information.

If the vehicle has been jump started, test the battery condition.
Refer to: Battery (414-01 Battery, Mounting and Cables, Diagnosis and Testing).

If the 12V vehicle battery has been charged by connecting to the battery negative terminal, do not reset the Battery Monitoring System.

Component Description

Battery Monitoring Sensor

The Battery Monitoring Sensor continuously monitors the condition and the state of charge of the 12V battery and provides the BCM with this information. The Battery Monitoring Sensor also estimates losses in the battery capacity over time. The Battery Monitoring Sensor should only be reset when the battery is replaced. It is urgently recommended that the replacement battery has the exact same specification as the original battery. If it does not, the accuracy of the Battery Monitoring Sensor outputs will be compromised.

The Battery Monitoring Sensor is clamped directly to the negative terminal of the battery and grounds to the vehicle at the chassis ground connection point through the negative battery cable and eyelet. It is part of the negative battery cable and cannot be serviced separately. For more information,
Refer to: Battery and Cables - Hybrid Electric Vehicle (HEV) - Overview (414-01 Battery, Mounting and Cables, Description and Operation).

External customer loads must only be connected to the vehicle at the customer battery connection point. If an external customer load is connected at the negative battery post, the Battery Monitoring Sensor accuracy cannot be guaranteed. It is recommended that the Battery Monitoring Sensor pole clamp is not removed unless a battery replacement is required. Should the battery need to be isolated, this should be done by disconnecting the ground eyelet at the chassis ground.

Body Control Module (BCM)

The BCM monitors the Battery Monitoring Sensor and provides the PCM with battery state of charge information. For more information on the BCM,
Refer to: Module Controlled Functions - Overview (419-10 Multifunction Electronic Modules, Description and Operation).

Powertrain Control Module (PCM)

The PCM provides desired voltage set point to the Direct Current/Direct Current (DC/DC) converter control module. For more information on the PCM,
Refer to: Electronic Engine Controls - System Operation and Component Description (303-14 Electronic Engine Controls - 2.0L Duratec - Hybrid (96kW/130PS), Description and Operation).

Direct Current/Direct Current (DC/DC) converter control module

The Direct Current/Direct Current (DC/DC) converter control module is responsible for maintaining and charging the 12V battery. It is enabled when the high voltage battery contactors have closed, providing high-voltage power to the Direct Current/Direct Current (DC/DC) converter control module. For more information,
Refer to: Direct Current/Direct Current (DC/DC) Converter Control Module - Overview (414-05 Voltage Converter/Inverter, Description and Operation).

Edited by GrySql

Great information, GrySql. A couple of things caught my attention:

12V Battery Charging System

NOTICE: When any vehicle module is being programmed, connect an external battery charger to make sure the module programming is completed without interruption due to the load shedding feature becoming active. The external battery charger must maintain a system voltage above 13 volts. This may require a charger setting higher than the lowest charge setting. The external battery charger negative connection must be made to an engine or vehicle chassis ground and not the negative battery terminal. If the connection is to the negative battery terminal, load shedding may begin and module programming may be corrupted. After charging has begun, start the engine to clear any load shed states and then turn the engine off and proceed with programming.

I recently had two recall notices taken care of on my 2015 FFH (instrument panel reprogramming recall and PCM reprogramming recall). I watched them when they did this. The hood was closed and the trunk was closed while their laptop computer (sitting on the passenger seat) performed the reprogramming tasks. There was no external battery charger hooked up to my car. I would not be surprised if the above warning notice is routinely ignored.

Battery Monitoring Sensor

External customer loads must only be connected to the vehicle at the customer battery connection point. If an external customer load is connected at the negative battery post, the Battery Monitoring Sensor accuracy cannot be guaranteed. It is recommended that the Battery Monitoring Sensor pole clamp is not removed unless a battery replacement is required. Should the battery need to be isolated, this should be done by disconnecting the ground eyelet at the chassis ground.

This would seem to suggest I should not ever try to hookup my inverter to the FFH. An inverter should always be connected to the battery with very heavy gauge cables with a minimum length. Connecting an inverter to the battery terminals under the hood (a bad idea) would likely result in very poor inverter performance or damage to the car or damage to the inverter or both.

I recently had two recall notices taken care of on my 2015 FFH (instrument panel reprogramming recall and PCM reprogramming recall). I watched them when they did this. The hood was closed and the trunk was closed while their laptop computer (sitting on the passenger seat) performed the reprogramming tasks. There was no external battery charger hooked up to my car. I would not be surprised if the above warning notice is routinely ignored.

My Z just had a bunch of reprogramming done to it (yes, everything is still a-ok!). When I went to snoop on its progress I saw the tech had the hood up and a battery charger attached. The SA told me they do that for all hybrids so the programming doesn't get interrupted by a discharged battery. :)

This is interesting about batteries in car lots discharging:

==

NOTE: Batteries will discharge due to normal parasitic key off-loads when the vehicle is on a dealer lot or parked by the customer for an extended period of time. Vehicles still in dealer inventory or in long-term storage may be driven short distances with heavy electrical loads. Over a period of time (30 days or more), this could result in vehicles having shallow or deeply discharged batteries.

NOTE: The vehicle charging system is designed to supply the electrical power needed to maintain the battery near full charge during normal vehicle use. The charging system is not capable of bringing a deeply discharged battery back to near full charge in a short amount of time such as allowing the vehicle to idle for 15 minutes to recharge the battery. Use an external charger to charge discharged batteries.

NOTE: Cold batteries will not readily accept a charge. Allow batteries to warm to approximately 5°C (41°F) before charging. This may require 4 to 8 hours at room temperature.

Edited by GrySql

This is interesting about batteries in car lots discharging:

NOTE: Batteries will discharge due to normal parasitic key off-loads when the vehicle is on a dealer lot or parked by the customer for an extended period of time. Vehicles still in dealer inventory or in long-term storage may be driven short distances with heavy electrical loads. Over a period of time (30 days or more), this could result in vehicles having shallow or deeply discharged batteries.

NOTE: The vehicle charging system is designed to supply the electrical power needed to maintain the battery near full charge during normal vehicle use. The charging system is not capable of bringing a deeply discharged battery back to near full charge in a short amount of time such as allowing the vehicle to idle for 15 minutes to recharge the battery. Use an external charger to charge discharged batteries.

NOTE: Cold batteries will not readily accept a charge. Allow batteries to warm to approximately 5°C (41°F) before charging. This may require 4 to 8 hours at room temperature.

When I had one of my Fiestas at Genesee Valley Ford in Avon, NY for some work they were moving cars around on the lot and had a couple FFHs that would not start (probably the long term no-drive scenario). The guy tasked with moving and I were talking and it was the "how to jump start an FFH" notes that helped me tell him where to put the cables to get them started.

My brother has a '12 FFH and just had to go through the above storage scenario when he didn't drive the car for some time due to weather in NC. He felt his Ram pickup would do better. So he learned the consequences the hard way on that. But it was just about the time the discussion on dead batteries was going on here and I relayed info to him on it. I still don't know if he's signed on here ... altho I've told him he should.

And right now we're playing "button, button - who's got the button?" with my FFH. It's in transit, should have been here yesterday according to dealer and today according to Ford QA site. Where it is exactly is anyones guess ... but it ain't at the dealers. <sigh>

How about some Fuel System factoids?

===

Fuel System - Overview

The fuel system:

• uses a single container (L-shaped) fuel tank.
  • has a Fuel Pump that operates on low speed (9-10 volts) depending on load, that supplies fuel under pressure to the fuel rails.
  • has a lifetime fuel filter (serviced as part of the Fuel Pump).
  • has an Easy Fuel™ (capless) fuel tank filler pipe assembly, which cannot be modified in any way and is serviced only by the installation of a new fuel tank filler pipe assembly.
  • has a supplemental refueling adapter located in the luggage compartment.
  • has a FPDM (Fuel Pump Driver Module) located on the driver's side lower "C" pillar area.
  • has fuel tubes (liquid and vapor) along with brake tubes mounted on the underside of the vehicle in a bundle.
  • uses separately controlled fuel injectors for each cylinder. The fuel injectors are mounted directly into the head.
  • fuel injectors are supplied with pressurized fuel from the high pressure, in tank Fuel Pump to the fuel rail.
  • has a serviceable fuel level sender mounted on the Fuel Pump Module

Fuel Pump Shut-off Feature

NOTE: Refer to the Description and Operation, Intelligent Access with Push Button Start in Section 419-01A to review the procedures for achieving the various ignition states (ignition OFF, ignition in ACCESSORY, ignition ON and ignition START) on vehicles with this feature.

In the event of a moderate to severe collision, the vehicle is equipped with a Fuel Pump and Sender Shut-off Feature that is initiated by the event notification signal.

The event notification signal is a signal provided by the RCM (Restraints Control Module) to the FPDM. Signal communication between the RCM and the FPDM allows the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) to shut-off the Fuel Pump.

Should the vehicle shut off after a collision due to this feature, the vehicle may be restarted by first turning the ignition to the OFF position and then turn the ignition to the ON position. In some instances the vehicle may not start the first time and may take one additional ignition cycle.

Edited by GrySql

Thanks for the post on the fuel system. This reminded me that the fuel system (and the audio system) were the only two areas where the 2015 April issue of Consumer Reports showed trouble spots for the FFH. The owner reported data (from the annual car survey sent to subscribers) resulted in the lowest rating for the fuel system in the 2013 FFH. The 2014 FFH fuel system showed improvement but still not a top rating. The audio system received poor ratings for both the 2013 and 2014.

Edited by Texasota