GrySql

FFH factoids & parts quiz

if you have a deficit of say 60 ampere-hours in the 12 vdc battery, the dc-to-dc converter which I think has about a 120 amp output capacity would ideally take one half hour to charge it. In practice about twice that so you are right, driving will charge it but it takes at least a half hour.

The HVB has a capacity of 1.4 Kwhrs. If you discharge it from say 50% to the nominal emergency cut off of 20% capacity, that's 30% of 1.4 Kwhs or 0.420 Kwhrs. The HVB can accept a charge rate of about 50 Kw and the generator is more powerful than that so the HVB recharges in a few minutes, probably in about a tenth of the time the 12 vdc requires.

I was curious if the high speed controller area network (CAN) was an industry standard or Ford proprietary. Lots of details on it here:

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/2732/en/

I think I remember other threads talking about how the TCM is the maestro that does most of the controlling and coordination in the FFH and I suppose that is also the case for most other hybrids. It is interesting, to me, that it appears the transmission (as opposed to the ICE) is the heart and soul of this power train.

When the transmission range is in the low position, the transmission increases regenerative braking when the accelerator pedal is released to provide an engine braking feeling and increased battery charging.

The behavior when the transmission is in the low position sounds similar to when the Grade Assist (GA) button is pressed. The above does not mention increased compression braking from the ICE. Are there other differences between the two?

One important thing to note is that the Hybrid transmission fluid pump is only active when the ICE is on. The Energi has a secondary transmission fuel pump, as mentioned above, which is electric and is powered when the ICE is off. There have been some issues with owners who do a lot of mountainous driving having eCVT issues because of extended EV operation going down mountain grades with no lubrication in the transmission.

Would Grade Assist enable the transmission fluid pump when the ICE is "on" for compression braking?

Before they upped the EV speed with software, Ford probably believed the ICE would be turning going down hills at highway speeds. Now it doesn't and the lubrication problem is an example of unintended consequences. It sure would be nice to be able to undo that software "upgrade", IMHO.

I noticed that same strange language when I read through that section the other day. I don't get it. Does the gas Fusion have a 6 speed transmission?

Yes, the automatics in the gas Fusions are 6-speed. The 2015 gas fusions no longer offer a manual transmission.

Edited by Texasota