GrySql

FFH factoids & parts quiz

NOTE: The following is general information only and and may not be complete. This information is for discussion only and not to be used for problem solving with your specific car. This information is not intended to replace or supersede any warranty, parts and service policy, Work Shop Manual (WSM) procedures or technical training or wiring diagram information. Seek qualified automotive help if your car is having drive-ability problems.

================

I thought I'd post a different FFH fact every so often, here's the first.

--

Transport Mode

(This is something the Dealer Prep looks for when getting a car ready for sale)

During vehicle build, some vehicle modules are set in factory mode including the IPC and the BCM. While in the factory mode, the IPC displays FACTORY MODE CONTACT DEALER in the message center. If the vehicle is set in factory mode, the system does not automatically revert to another mode and must be manually set to either the transport or normal operation mode. When the vehicle build is complete, the vehicle is set to transport mode. While in transport mode, the IPC displays TRANSPORT MODE CONTACT DEALER in the message center. Transport mode reduces the drain on the battery during longer periods where the vehicle is not used. Various systems may be altered or are disabled when in the transport mode. The vehicle automatically reverts to normal operation mode after being driven 120 km (75 mi).

--

Definitions:

IPC = Instrument Panel Cluster

BCM = Body Control Module

Edited by GrySql

While in transport mode, the IPC displays TRANSPORT MODE CONTACT DEALER in the message center.

That's how my FFH was when I took the first drive, it had just arrived at the dealer and they let me take a drive in it before they did PDI.

That's how my FFH was when I took the first drive, it had just arrived at the dealer and they let me take a drive in it before they did PDI.

Okay, too easy huh?

Can you tell me what the arrow is pointing at?

SRA_zps2e15ffe6.png

Okay, too easy huh?

Can you tell me what the arrow is pointing at?

SRA_zps2e15ffe6.png

The arrow is pointing to a shiny little box with wires attached. What do I win? ;)

The arrow is pointing to a shiny little box with wires attached. What do I win? ;)

Mmm, good try but no cigar. You have one of those mounted in your trunk area too. It makes things go Boom.

Now that you mention it, I ought to turn this into a quiz. I have some pretty sneaky reference material.

It makes things go Boom.

Boom? I'm betting it is a sensor or control unit for the air bags?

Boom? I'm betting it is a sensor or control unit for the air bags?

No, not that kind of Boom. Maybe I should have said 'makes things loud'.

Seeing SONY is stamped on the case, it's probably the subwoffer amplifier, in a Titanium.

Audio amplifier.

Seeing SONY is stamped on the case, it's probably the subwoffer amplifier, in a Titanium.

Sony Radio Amplifier in a Titanium is correct!

The standard radio Amp is positioned there as well.

Waldo, I don't believe there is a question I could ask that you would get stumped on, I think you wrote the book! :)

How about you ask the next one?

I gotta go Christmas shopping.

Factoid...

The gas pedal input is all electronically controlled.

The following is general information only and and may not be complete. This information is for discussion only and not to be used for problem solving with your specific car. This information is not intended to replace or supersede any warranty, parts and service policy, Work Shop Manual (WSM) procedures or technical training or wiring diagram information. Seek qualified automotive help if your car is having drive-ability problems.

--

Acceleration Control - Overview

The acceleration controls consist of the accelerator pedal and sensor assembly.
The throttle is controlled by an APP sensor on the accelerator pedal assembly. The APP sensor sends a signal to the PCM in response to throttle pedal movements initiated by the driver. The PCM sends a signal to the electronic throttle control which increases and decreases throttle position.
The engine management system electronically operates the throttle of the engine in response to throttle pedal movements initiated by the driver. In the event of a system failure, the engine management system provides a "limp home" mode which allows the car to be driven with limited performance.

--

Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) Sensor

There are two pedal position signals in the sensor. Both signals, APP1 and APP2, have a positive slope (increasing angle, increasing voltage), but are offset and increase at different rates. The two pedal position signals make sure the PCM receives a correct input even if one signal has a concern. The PCM determines if a signal is incorrect by calculating where it should be, inferred from the other signals. If a concern is present with one of the circuits the other input is used. There are two reference voltage circuits, two signal return circuits, and two signal circuits between the PCM and the APP sensor assembly. The pedal position signal is converted to pedal travel degrees (rotary angle) by the PCM. The software then converts these degrees to counts, which is the input to the torque based strategy.

--

APP - Accelerator Pedal Position

PCM - Powertrain Control Module

Edited by GrySql

By the way, a few years ago, I checked the possibility of a stuck open accelerator peddle causing a runaway that you couldn't stop with brakes as a Prius driver claimed in Cal. a few years ago. I floored my 2010 FFH and put the brake on with the other foot. The ICE died and the car easily came to a halt. The design of the eCVT systems does not allow a runaway to occur even if there was a multiple failure in the APP systems or a stuck peddle.

By the way, a few years ago, I checked the possibility of a stuck open accelerator peddle causing a runaway that you couldn't stop with brakes as a Prius driver claimed in Cal. a few years ago. I floored my 2010 FFH and put the brake on with the other foot. The ICE died and the car easily came to a halt. The design of the eCVT systems does not allow a runaway to occur even if there was a multiple failure in the APP systems or a stuck peddle.

Yes, that's a built in safety feature, some descriptions in the following explanation may not apply to the FFH because it isn't supposed to be towing:

NOTE: The following is general information only and and may not be complete. This information is for discussion only and not to be used for problem solving with your specific car. This information is not intended to replace or supersede any warranty, parts and service policy, Work Shop Manual (WSM) procedures or technical training or wiring diagram information. Seek qualified automotive help if your car is having drive-ability problems.

--

Brake Over Accelerator

The brake over accelerator feature may not be active during low speed operating conditions. This enables unique drive maneuvers such as trailer tow, boat launch and retrieval or operation in hilly environments where the operator may require the application of both the accelerator pedal and the brake pedal during low speed maneuvering. The brake over accelerator feature will be active at speeds greater than 16 km/h (10 mph).

In the event the accelerator pedal becomes entrapped, such as by an object lodging the pedal, the brake over accelerator feature will reduce engine power when the brake pedal is applied.

The hybrid vehicles achieve a result similar to the brake over accelerator feature by reducing power if the brakes are applied while the accelerator pedal is pressed.

Operators that rest a foot on the brake pedal when also applying the accelerator pedal may activate the brake over accelerator feature. The brake activation is detected by the PCM from the electrical brake switch. In addition to brake over accelerator comments, the customer may bring the vehicle in for repair to address concerns such as a hesitation/stumble or a lack/loss of power. In the event of a hesitation/stumble or a lack/loss of power concern, carry out normal vehicle diagnostics for the appropriate symptom code. If the brake over accelerator feature is suspect, the BRKOVR_ACTION, BRKOVRD_POSS and DIST_BRKOVRD PIDs will display a brake over accelerator event occurred.

In the event the brake over accelerator feature is suspected as the cause of the customer concern, explain to the customer the details of the override system as described above. Additionally, make sure the customer is aware that resting a foot on the brake pedal while driving may cause the activation of this feature. This also results in activation of the brake lights on the vehicle while driving.

Edited by GrySql

Brake Over Accelerator

I couldn't help it and had to try it out, I just went for a short drive. Floored it a 35 mph, then stepped on the brake, It works just like its supposed to. I always wondered if there were an ICE runaway how would you stop the car. Now I know.

Manufacturers claim that even in conventional cars, a full throttle ICE can be stopped by full brake application quickly. Thr eCVT hybrids do it as part of the intrinsic design.

Read this interesting article about unintended acceleration entitled "Braking Bad". http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/11/opinion/11schmidt.html?sq=bad%20brakes&st=cse&adxnnl=1&scp=1&adxnnlx=1268755346-vq/8qoKywOKiazHweontwQ&_r=0

Edited by lolder

I had a '69 Galaxie 500 as a teen. And one time the pedal linkage broke and got stuck in the full throttle position. But fortunately applying the brake did triumph over the acceleration forces, and I was able to stop without incident.

Factoid:

==

Creep Mode
The hybrid electric system delivers torque to the wheels to mimic the creep mode normally found on vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. The TCM commands a predetermined amount of torque to be delivered to the output shafts of the electronically controlled transmission. This torque is delivered from the combination of the internal combustion engine, the traction motor, or the generator motor. The maximum creep speed in forward or reverse direction is about 6 km/h (4 mph). The creep speed may vary slightly if ambient temperature, altitude, relative humidity, engine temperature, or weight of the vehicle changes.

Edited by GrySql

I believe also that when you stop the car with the brake, the torque is not applied so you are not wasting electricity from the "creep" torque.

I forget which hybrid a recent article was reviewing, but they mentioned it didn't have the creep mode, which made it very difficult to maneuver in parking lots.

I believe also that when you stop the car with the brake, the torque is not applied so you are not wasting electricity from the "creep" torque.

I've wondered about that, but have no idea how to find out.

Continuing with the Hybrid Electric Control Software, the Creep Mode was the first item:

==

Driving Modes
There are five fundamental operating modes in the hybrid electric system:
• series mode
• electric mode
• positive split mode
• negative split mode
• engine cranking mode

Series Mode
The system operates in this mode when the engine is running and the vehicle is not moving. This is the preferred mode whenever the high voltage traction battery is charging, passenger compartment temperature control, high voltage traction battery temperature control or catalyst warm up is necessary.

Electric Mode
The system operates in this mode when the vehicle is propelled by the electrical power stored in the high voltage traction battery. The torque is supplied to the output shafts by the traction motor. This is the preferred mode whenever the desired torque is low and can be produced more efficiently by the electrical system than the engine. The electric mode is also used in reverse because the engine can deliver torque only in a forward direction.

Edited by GrySql