Thomz Fusion

Ford: I propose a new cold-weather setting!

Interesting reading on the grille shutters.

I borrowed my friends scanner and did some reading and unscientific testing on the shutters.

When the engine is started, the shutters are cycled open and closed so the PCM can determine the travel range. If the range is not within a predetermined value, a trouble code is set.

The shutters have a range of 16 steps.

Today, the ambient temperature is 45F and raining. I was monitoring the shutter commands, shutter position, speed and engine temperature.

First, this engine seems to have a difficult time warming up. With the heater on, flat road driving at about 40 mph, it took about 40 minutes for the engine to reach 185F. On a faster highway drive, it stabilized between 190 and 205F.

Below 190F, the shutters stayed fully closed regardless of vehicle speed. Hotter than 190F, they partly opened, to about 50%. They were never commanded to open greater than 50%

When the a/c is on, they opened to 40%

The electric water pump was only on when the heater is on or when the engine is running, otherwise it was turned off.

First, this engine seems to have a difficult time warming up. With the heater on, flat road driving at about 40 mph, it took about 40 minutes for the engine to reach 185F. On a faster highway drive, it stabilized between 190 and 205F.

I don't have a scan guage to tell me what the exact temperature is but I do monitor the temperature guage that I have configured in my "My View". On very cold Minnesota days mine seems to reach the normal operating temperature (middle of the guage graphic) in 5 minutes or less.

I don't have a scan guage to tell me what the exact temperature is but I do monitor the temperature guage that I have configured in my "My View". On very cold Minnesota days mine seems to reach the normal operating temperature (middle of the guage graphic) in 5 minutes or less.

Five minutes or less is a quick warm up compared to mine. You must get hot air from your heater within a few minutes.

Is your car parked in a garage overnight?

My approach, stuff the grill, use seat heaters, and turn Auto on once I get moving. Im warm, car is happy, and I get 38-40 MPG. Good enough for me.