Thomz Fusion

Ford: I propose a new cold-weather setting!

Ford Engineers,

I don't know if you follow this forum, but after driving my 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid into my second winter, and experiencing a drop in MPG, I'd LOVE to see a tweak/option that would reduce the cold weather penalty.

As any Fusion hydrid driver in a northern climate knows, the ICE will run when the heater is on, since the engine water jacket is the only source of cabin heat. This, of course, reduces fuel economy. We experience a significant reduction in MPG during cold weather - partially as a result of the need to heat the passenger space.

In order to improve economy, I typically leave the heater off for short trips and rely upon the seat heaters. If I'm only going a mile or so, the heater setting doesn't help much anyway. I suspect others may be doing this as well.

For longer trips, I have been leaving the heater off until I've been driving for awhile (again relying upon the seat heaters for comfort), and then turn the heater on. This tends to help because the engine is typically warm enough that it then doesn't run extra due solely to the heater setting.

It occurs to me this could all be automatic. What I am asking is that Ford include an option in the 'settings' area - perhaps called something like "ECO Heater Setting." The setting wouldn't start the engine for the heater setting - but would still provide cabin heat when the engine water jacket temperature was high enough.

While this setting would increase the time that it takes to heat the passenger compartment in the car, it would result in an increase in fuel economy. I frankly am OK with the trade-off.

I would be interested in feedback from other hybrid drivers. Thoughts? Is this a crazy idea?

The upgrade on th PCM last year has already helped with the cold weather behavior but I'm essentially doing the same thing as you.

Therefore +1 on the option idea!

That's the strategy I employ - trying to only use "free" heat. I think it's a good idea. Another scheme they might consider is to heat the cabin more gradually.

I have typically delayed turning on the cabin heat for most of the cars I have owned. If you turn on the cabin heat right away, then all it does is blow cold air on you and increase the time required for the engine to warm up. Of course, sometimes you cannot delay very long before you have a badly fogged up windshield.

That's the strategy I employ - trying to only use "free" heat.

I like that term - 'free' heat! Using the heater when the engine heat is available would increase our winter MPG.

Of course, there are occasions such as when the windows are iced up, that we'd like to have the engine supplying heat as soon as possible. But it would be great to have an automatic option to not engage the engine when the heater setting is on. I hope someone at Ford will take a look at this.

As I noted earlier, I use my seat heaters for comfort until engine heat is available - as I'm sure you all do. It occurs to me that it would be terrific to also have a heated stearing wheel. I'm hoping that Ford will provide that option for its future hybrids.

I like that term - 'free' heat! Using the heater when the engine heat is available would increase our winter MPG.

Of course, there are occasions such as when the windows are iced up, that we'd like to have the engine supplying heat as soon as possible. But it would be great to have an automatic option to not engage the engine when the heater setting is on. I hope someone at Ford will take a look at this.

As I noted earlier, I use my seat heaters for comfort until engine heat is available - as I'm sure you all do. It occurs to me that it would be terrific to also have a heated stearing wheel. I'm hoping that Ford will provide that option for its future hybrids.

That option has been available starting with the MY 2014.

I'm not positive that there is any such thing as "free heat." The reason we block our grills is to keep engine heat as high as possible because, generally speaking, the warmer the ICE runs, the higher its efficiency. Running the cabin heater, even when the engine temp is up, cools the engine somewhat. I simply don't run the heater much in the winter at all. I'm wearing a coat and gloves, there's no wind in my face, and it's easy to stay comfortable, especially with the seat warmer on occasionally. About the only time I tell the car "climate on" is when the windows need defogging.

My reservation about this involves the possibility that running the heater might allow the radiator fan to run less. Were that the case, using the heater could be a break-even proposition. Is there anyone with a Scan Gauge that can clarify that?

Heat is a byproduct of all ICEs. Car heating systems are designed to transfer that heat to the cabin. To the extent that our FFHs can conduct that transfer without causing the ICE to run solely for that purpose, well, that's what I'm calling "free "

Edited by md13ffhguy

As mentioned before Grill Covers will speed up heating the ICE, increasing MPG's. Also Oil Pan and Block Heaters will make a big difference on shorter trips from my experience, I'm probably one of a few to have a FORD ICE block heater. With Pan and Block heaters I get a differential temp difference of 65*F from outside temp in two Hours after turning it on. :)

Paul

My reservation about this involves the possibility that running the heater might allow the radiator fan to run less. Were that the case, using the heater could be a break-even proposition. Is there anyone with a Scan Gauge that can clarify that?

The radiator fan should never come on in winter. The grille shutters don't begin to open until the coolant temp is above 200 F. With 100% grille blocking and no heat we can get up to about 190 F only in the winter. The fan wouldn't kick on until much warmer. I've seen water temps as high as 220 F in the summer and the radiator fan has not been on. It runs a lot more in the Focus Electric in the summer to cool the battery than it runs in the Fusion.

I haven't tried this, but maybe plugging in the block heater a few hours before your drive should reduce the engine warm up times and increase mpg's in the winter...

I haven't tried this, but maybe plugging in the block heater a few hours before your drive should reduce the engine warm up times and increase mpg's in the winter...

Do you have a ICE Block Heater? They seem to be very rare. I installed mine and it was very hard to do. Does anyone else have a FORD ICE Block Heater? :)

Paul

Edited by ptjones

Do you have a ICE Block Heater? They seem to be very rare. I installed mine and it was very hard to do. Does anyone else have a FORD ICE Block Heater? :)

Paul

Mine has one. My dealer told me they come as standard equipment at no charge in the northern states.

Mine has one. My dealer told me they come as standard equipment at no charge in the northern states.

Lucky you ;) in Chicago they don't come standard :(

milleron re: I'm not positive that there is any such thing as "free heat."

All internal combustion engines generate excess heat. As you know, almost all automotive engines are water cooled (as opposed to air cooled), using a radiator to dissipate the excess energy. While the radiator fan doesn't necessarily need to run in very cold weather, the engine is still producing excess heat which is dissipated by the radiator - or by the heater core. Thus, the term 'free heat' seems appropriate.

During cold winter weather your radiator shutters may be closed and the radiator fan not running, but the radiator/heater-core combination is still helping to dissipate the excess heat generated by the ICE.

Paul

I have one - factory installed. I live in Wisconsin and the last 3 Ford/Mercury vehicles I have purchased have all had engine block heaters.

I've used it occasionally, along with a timer to keep it from running continuously. Although when it is REALLY cold it's a bit of a pain to plug it in, and too often I forget.

Paul

The EBH is a no charge option for vehicles ordered by dealers in: MN, WI, AK, ND, SD, WY, & MT IIRC.

My titanium has one, the receptacle is located near the foglamp. Not sure if it was an option...

Did you buy your HyTi in another state? Washington doesn't get them standard.

The EBH is a no charge option for vehicles ordered by dealers in: MN, WI, AK, ND, SD, WY, & MT IIRC.

Did you buy your HyTi in another state? Washington doesn't get them standard.

I bought the car in Seattle. I guess it was an option. I don't even know if it works, never tried it...

I bought the car in Seattle. I guess it was an option. I don't even know if it works, never tried it...

Was it a dealer transfer? Your window sticker may show that it was originally ordered by a dealer in MT which is why it has a block heater. I don't think it is an option for retail orders. Perhaps fleet orders can get it as an option for extra money :spend: but for dealer stock it's a no cost option selected automatically based on where the car is going.

milleron re: I'm not positive that there is any such thing as "free heat."

All internal combustion engines generate excess heat. As you know, almost all automotive engines are water cooled (as opposed to air cooled), using a radiator to dissipate the excess energy. While the radiator fan doesn't necessarily need to run in very cold weather, the engine is still producing excess heat which is dissipated by the radiator - or by the heater core. Thus, the term 'free heat' seems appropriate.

During cold winter weather your radiator shutters may be closed and the radiator fan not running, but the radiator/heater-core combination is still helping to dissipate the excess heat generated by the ICE.

FFH/CMAX don't generate excess heat until 210-215*F when the shutters open up. Operating temp is 202-212*F. Temps very rarely get that high so that is why Grill Covers are so important for minimizing heat loses and improving MPG's :)

Paul

Heat is a byproduct of all ICEs. Car heating systems are designed to transfer that heat to the cabin. To the extent that our FFHs can conduct that transfer without causing the ICE to run solely for that purpose, well, that's what I'm calling "free "

But is it "free" or are you "paying" for it in the form of reduced operating temperature of your ICE which results in lower fuel economy? We do everything we can to keep the ICE temp UP in the winter, and the cabin heater has the same effect as the traditional radiator; it LOWERS that temperature. See where I'm coming from?

But is it "free" or are you "paying" for it in the form of reduced operating temperature of your ICE which results in lower fuel economy? We do everything we can to keep the ICE temp UP in the winter, and the cabin heater has the same effect as the traditional radiator; it LOWERS that temperature. See where I'm coming from?

Milleron and PTJones,

Actually, I believe what controls the engine temprature is the thermostat setting. Once it opens, which typically is about 190F in most normal vehicles, the radiator comes into play. I would be interested in knowing what temperature the thermostats on our hybrids are set at.

As an aside, wouldn't it be nice to have an engine temperature display on the dashboard?

Tom

Milleron and PTJones,

Actually, I believe what controls the engine temprature is the thermostat setting. Once it opens, which typically is about 190F in most normal vehicles, the radiator comes into play. I would be interested in knowing what temperature the thermostats on our hybrids are set at.

As an aside, wouldn't it be nice to have an engine temperature display on the dashboard?

Tom

You can configure the engine temp to be displayed in the "My View" section.

As for the "free heat" concept, just because the max temp is about 210 doesn't mean that taking heat away from anything below that temp isn't "free". One would have to know how much less efficient the engine is while running at say 175 then at 205, but I'd guess it would be insignificant. After all, you don't see the ICE staying on with the heater off to get the temp up to 205. If it really made a difference, Ford would have programmed it that way.