darrelld

Ford dumps MyFord Touch name in revamp of infotainment system

This article is a pretty good review of the new features.

Nice upgrade, the UI response is excellent. Finally appears applink is coming to those who spent the extra money on Nav. There is no answer to the question of upgrades for current owners but no comment tells me no.

Touchscreens in general are a bad idea on cars. They require you to look at them and have a steady hand on a smooth road to operate them. They can't disappear soon enough. You don't need to distract yourself from the road as much with knobs. Push button switches are OK if they're big enough which most aren't. Anything that you need to look at inside the car to operate is a dangerous distraction, They might be OK in autonomous vehicles.

That doesn't mean that Ford can't make a slightly different version that works on the current hardware. We're talking about millions of customer's out there that Ford needs to keep happy.

That would be quite a gesture. Probably the most disappointing thing about the Synch/MFT combo in my 2013 is the lack of apps. This would not be even half as disappointing if I didn't know that the CARS WITHOUT MFT HAVE MORE CAPABILITY with regard to app compatibility. Would Ford actually make this move, or would they just hope that devotees of the car will upgrade to a newer model sooner? We shall see. Not holding my breath.

Nothing you will be able to do about that except to only buy old cars.

As for the Sync system you can control pretty much anything per voice no need to find buttons on the screen.

What the new Sync 3 will provide is definitely better readability and controllability because there's more contrast and larger buttons. This should lead to less distraction in case you have to use the UI for example the enter an address but again this could be accomplished via voice command.

I have Sync on my non-nav screen 2010 which usually works fine on hands free phone and entertainment. Sometimes there's a little language barrier it seems. The HVAC is knobs and mechanical push buttons, some too small but I usually run it in Auto or just vent. It has the slightly small back up display in a inside rear view mirror which is adequate. I think newer ones in other cars are bigger. It also has the moon roof, rear back-up sensing, BLIS and CTA. The rear visibility is excellent so you really don;t need the BLIS but we use the CTA all the time. All the 2010-12s had these features which you have to pay for in a lot higher trim in 2013+. I paid about 24K for it in 2009 plus my 1995 Grand Marquis cash for clunkers. I think there was still a substantial tax credit then also. It's running like new at 69K miles with a lifetime 40 mpg. in favorable SW FL. I think I'll keep it till I need an autonomous car.