Sign in to follow this  
OneSpeed

Dual Battery modification?

So can I modify this this car over time and convert it to an Energi?

I can't imagine that being a feasible or practical endeavor given the technology and complexity of these cars. There are way to many technical differences between the two cars. HybridBear recently traded in his 2013 FFH for a 2013 Energi he found still sitting around on a new car lot. Something like that may be an option for you.

Price?

Only speculation on my part, but to convert a FFH into an Energi would cost way more than the cost of brand new Energi. The FFH would have to be largely rebuilt to transform it into an Energi that complied with all of the federal laws/regulations. In addition, modifications of this order of magnitude would completely void the warranty of your new 2015 FFH.

This is only my opinion, but I believe this idea is completely impractical. I agree with Easy Rider, if this is a big issue for you, then you purchased the wrong car.

I've never heard of an extra battery in a Prius except an extreme modification. They have a plug-in hybrid also but they go less than 20 miles in EV. The FFH and other hybrids are VERY high tech cars that are delicate compromises in their operation. It is a very bad idea to modify the drive trains in any way. The HVB's are not too small. They are exactly the right size for the purpose which is to maximize the thermodynamic efficiency of the ICE which provides ALL of the energy by burning gasoline. Plug-in hybrid philosophy is different and plug-in electric philosophy is completely different. Great design attention is given in a hybrid to maximizing the life of the HVB which has been successful.

In these cars, every system "talks" to almost every other system most of the time. If you change one, the total results would be very difficult to predict. The cars are software controlled and Ford has not revealed much about the code except the results. "Hacking" them is a very bad idea. Sorry. It's a fantastic car as it is so enjoy.

I've never heard of an extra battery in a Prius except an extreme modification. They have a plug-in hybrid also but they go less than 20 miles in EV.

Actually I think the Prius PHEV is rated at 11 miles on the HVB before it transitions to hybrid mode... great if your daily commute is only a few miles, but the benefit definitely diminishes beyond that.