Sign in to follow this  
Ford Super News Ticker

Ford EcoBoost Police Interceptors Repeat as Quickest Accelerating in State Testing in Michigan, California

Ford Motor Company, manufacturer of the best-selling police vehicles since 1996, trumped the competition in recent instrumented acceleration testing conducted separately by the Michigan State Police and Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department.

View the full article

Interesting report. I'm guessing that the 5.7L V8 mentioned in the article must be the Hemi in the Dodge Charger police car.

I want a Ford EcoBoost Police Interceptor for my daily driver. That would be the only thing I think I'd trade my FFH in for! :)

When I was still working, I had my choice of using a Crown Vic, Chevy Impala or Chevy SUV (I forget which model--it was the smaller one).

I really preferred the Crown Vic. It was the most comfortable while wearing a Sam Browne with all the equipment attached. Never having to worry about fuel economy, I have no idea what it got for mpg, but I know I almost always had to fill it at the end of shift, mostly to keep the next shift from whining about not having a full tank, lol.

The fastest squad, as far as acceleration were the late '60 model Fords. They were screamers in a straight line, but you couldn't make a turn without burning up the brakes, since the chief at the time didn't believe in power steering. Driving those beasts gave you a good workout for your arms. He also had the a/c units removed because he wanted us to keep the windows open so we could hear any "suspicious" sounds indicating a crime in progress. Oh, and he insisted we always wear our uniform hats, even in the car. Getting caught without it would get you a good talking to. Hats+no a/c+humid summer heat+wool uniform pants made for some real comfortable nights. Add to that no short sleeve shirts at the time!

Things got a lot more comfortable as years went on, but I never worked for a better chief. He was strict on rules, but he always backed you up if you worked within them.