mwr

Tire snow cables

The manual for my 2015 FFH says "Do not use snow chains or cables on this vehicle as they may cause damage to your vehicle". Really, no cables? How are we supposed to drive into the mountains in the winter? Here in California, chains (or cables) are often required in the winter in the Sierras.

I think it's related to the construction of the eCVT including the electric motor. The "lurching" motion may damage them. Use another vehicle.

Do you have any support for saying it's related to the construction of the eCVT?

I bought this car to use for all of my driving, as I've done with cars all my life. That includes driving in or through the mountains in the winter here in California as millions of other people do with their cars. I don't consider your "Use another vehicle" helpful, although Ford officially seems to leave me no other choice. I'm certainly not finished with this yet.

All cars are not suitable for driving in all conditions and never were. Steep snow covered mountains are a prime example. Four wheel drive SUV's would be my choice there.

In the eCVT Ford/Toyota transmissions, the large traction motor/generator is permanently geared to the front wheels. It is a variable speed/frequency brushless three-phase motor precisely controlled by heavy duty solid state electronics. These control whether it is used as a motor or a generator ( regenerative braking ) and to what degree. When a wheel slips and jerks repeatedly with chains or cables, I expect it might be very difficult for the control system and the traction control to sort out. That's just a guess.

There are a lot of sensors on wheels today that don't take kindly to flailing chains.

If you need an official reply, send Rachel, our Ford Rep, a PM with this question.

If I was going to use a tire snow traction device the Michelin's I linked would be my choice. Or, get snow tires.

Thanks for suggesting me, GrySql! :dance:

I did PM Rachel, who sent me a standard Ford response, copied below:

"This is true; chains and cables have not been approved for use on your FFH. Pages 178 and 184 in your Owner's Manual have tips for if your vehicle gets stuck in the snow. Page 305 also suggests installing snow tires for improved traction when driving in areas with sustained periods of snow or icy driving conditions.

I've checked all my resources, mwr. As the Owner's Manual states that snow chains or cables are not approved, I'm not able to suggest any modifications or other alternatives.

I understand snow tires are not a viable option for you; I recommend your dealer as they may have more specific information. :)

Rachel