Sign in to follow this  
lsherlockl

Buying used FFH

Now is not a very good time to test drive a Hybrid since cold weather and winter blend fuels tend to return lower than you expect MPG. However, if the original owner and dealer have not done a reset on the trips and other screens, you can get a good idea on what the car has been doing, especially the lifetime history. The one you looked up was built Jan 9th, and most cars built at or after that date have been pretty good, if it was built in 2012, I would be leery of it, especially if it was built in October of 2012, thats the month a good majority of cars that were bad in the MPG category were built. As mentioned Etis will show if there are any outstanding notices not applied and should be.

So is this good or bad one?

Build Date: 09.01.2013

There were several of us on the forum in late 2012 and early 2013 (many have since gotten their cars and drifted away, some still regulars) who were just getting their cars or had theirs on order. My 2013 FFH was built in Dec 2012 right near the end of Job 1 for SE Hybrids. Then (IIRC, thinking back to our forum posts from back then) in January 2013 Job 2 for the SE Hybrids started, then Feb 2013 the Fusion Energi production started, and in March 2013 the Titanium Hybrid production started (I had my SE Hybrid but also had a Titanium Hybrid ordered since Nov 2012 and later gave up on it and it was sold as dealer stock). So with an SE Hybrid with build date of January 2013 that 'should' be Job 2 with the physical buttons and some of the early Job 1 quirks (such as the headlight replacement thing, I think that was 12C27 or something like that) had been worked out. What is the VIN for this car? It would be interesting to see what options it has, and also see which field service actions were done...

If it were me, when I got to the car I would first scroll with the top left control and see what the lifetime average says -- I sold my 2013 FFH at Carmax in Dec 2013 with 35k miles and never reset the lifetime average and it said 50.9 MPG. So if I checked another 2013 FFH like this I would check the lifetime MPG and see the MPG and how many miles were in that 'lifetime'... if the lifetime reflects as many (or almost as many) miles as the odometer then you have a pretty accurate picture of what the previous owner got for MPG, and that could be really good like mine had, or could be not-so-good like acdii's first FFH had. If the lifetime was recently reset, that could be just inadvertent but also could be someone who wanted to erase a long-standing low-MPG issue (where the previous owner did what acdii did and moved on) and maybe opting for a new 2015 or clearance 2014 would be a better move.

Here's the window sticker, note on the 2013 models if 'Daytime Running Lights' is listed then it's a fleet vehicle as that was the only way to get DRLs on a 2013, unless purchasing in Canada but that would have a different format for the sticker. Note the annotation of 'damaged vehicle' and shipped to auction company.

This is one that could be had for a good price but it may turn out to be too much of a 'bargain', so like Waldo said, probably best to steer clear of this one.

Fusion_DR223280_zps4a914587.jpg