mwr

First complete fillup soon. Safe to go to "0 mi to E"?

There are all sorts of reasons to refill at 1/4 or above, particularly in wintertime where refilling at 1/2 is even prudent. If you refill at 0 DTE once or so to see what the number is, Ok. The DTE calculation is a complicated algorithm that is fairly accurate if your driving is all the same but deviates if there are big changes near the end of the tank. There should be a gallon ( or apparently two ) remaining at 0. That's a very little amount at the bottom of the tank.

Rule of thumb I use. Tank is 13.5 gallons, Trip says I used 10. Theoretically I have 3.5 gallons left at 0 DTE. Therefore based on the 40 MPG that the car has been averaging(39.5), I could got another 120 miles before I must refill. I will usually go half that if I need to.

OTOH, if the car is new, and it is technically its second fill. If the trip reads only 10 gallons with 0 DTE, then it is being conservative, or was never really full. If it reads 12 gallons, Fill it up, it is on the money at that point. The fuel gauge/DTE doesnt look at the fuel level in the tank, it uses that as a reference point and calculates approximately how much fuel you used to get to DTE. If you happen to fill at the 1/4 mark all the time, your DTE will go down, with quite a buffer of extra fuel in the tank, because that is what the computer has learned as your fuel usage. It doesn't really know that it is a 13.5 gallon tank, it just knows how much fuel was used, and how much has been replaced by the float level. I have proven this theory a bit with my car, increased the gallons used and DTE by driving well past DTE based on gallons used on the trip, but did not run the car dry. Filled up with a little over 12 gallons on the first click. Did that twice, and the trip increased to over 11 gallons before DTE was 0.

So what would be a truly empty tank for some drivers would be an actual 1/4 tank for others, just based by which point you fill up.

This thread has interesting discussions and different points of view on fuel tank size, gallons used, miles left after DTE etc. It probably also illustrates why the Ford engineers decided to ditch the "gallons used" metric on all of the displays for the 2015s.

I'm willing to bet there was considerable negative feedback to Ford about the "gallons used" metric, the fuel gauge reading, and the number of gallons required to fill the tank (i. e, gas station fuel pump reading) all being in conflict. Having all this data may be viewed favorably by some owners even if they are in conflict. Other owners were likely annoyed by it. For Ford it is a classic darned if you do and darned if you don't situation.

I think you hit the nail on the head on this. Its possible that the gallons used metric was so imbalanced based on fill up frequency that they couldn't get it to work the way it should, so they removed it. Thats the only explanation I can think of to remove it, probably because of all the complaints of why cant I get 13 gallons in my tank. E doesn't mean E in these.

You know they should have added a correction feature to Smart Gauge Trip Gauge where you could input actual mileage and fuel used so it would be able to fine tune the numbers. IMO :)

Paul

That might be useful and desirable to savvy owners. On the other hand many owners would be completely flummoxed if you asked them to calculate their MPG based on miles traveled and number of gallons used. Configuring the MyView display or manipulating a trip gauge correction feature would likely be equally confusing. The more customization you add the more complex this car becomes.

Ford understands that they must market and sell to the masses.