mwr

Trunk-opening button inside car

Maybe it's time to read the Owner's Manual and find out what else you don't know about the car. :read: :detective:

I remember from high school, 1963, in auto shop, when someone would ask a question about a switch on a Sun diagnostic machine, or a simple repair, our shop instructor, a hardened WWII and Korean war vet would bellow out, RTFM, then, if you can't figure it out, come and see me. I can hear his words to this day. :)

Maybe it's time to read the Owner's Manual and find out what else you don't know about the car. :read: :detective:

I'm usually pretty good at finding things in the OM but I can't find mention of this Trunk Release Button in any FFH OM, the 2013, '14 or '15.

Maybe someone here with more watts in their bulb can give us a page number in the FFH Owner's Manual for this little stinker.

Edit: BTW, in the Motorcraft Parts catalog it's called a 'Deck Lid Release Switch'.

Edited by GrySql

I searched the online manual and couldn't find it. I assumed the Ford technical writers knew what they were doing. I guess they didn't know. ;(

I found 3 different ways to open the trunk on pages 57-58 of the latest 2014 FFH OM, but none of them include the button beside the headlights switch. So that would make 4 total ways to open the trunk. I had no recollection of reading in the OM about being able to open the trunk from the keypad on the driver door pillar.

post-12539-0-11070800-1415994943.png

---------------------------------------

post-12539-0-26816800-1415994966.png

post-12539-0-11070800-1415994943_thumb.png

post-12539-0-26816800-1415994966_thumb.png

Edited by Hybrider

I searched the online manual and couldn't find it. I assumed the Ford technical writers knew what they were doing. I guess they didn't know. ;(

Apparently the OM tech writers didn't see the trunk release switch either, since it is so well hidden.

Just tried to open the trunk on my '14 MKZ-h using the personal code + 5-6. It didn't work. Surprising since so many features are the same on both the FFH and MKZ.

Just checked the manual. This method does not work with the power deck lid. (Not that I'd ever use it, lol.)

In the OM of my 2010 FFH there was a reference on page 87, to the Interior Trunk Control Button. I just assumed the 2013 OM referenced the same button. I checked my 2013 OM and there is no reference to an interior trunk control button. When I bought the 2013 I just assumed there was a trunk release button on the dash, found it and just started using the release button.

Many of my previous cars had a trunk release button, lever or switch. Some were in the glove compartment, some next to the drivers seat or on/under the dash.

I really don't know what the big deal is with the FFH having this dash button, it is a very common item in vehicles and has little to do with the car being stolen.

Look at this old Topic.

As far as the FFH OM is concerned, it's no surprise it has errors, we've found plenty of them.

Thank you all for (a) not making me feel stupid for having missed this feature in the first place, and (b) reconfirming that the inside trunk release is not mentioned in the OM. I pretty much read the OM cover to cover and never recall having seen it.

reconfirming that the inside trunk release is not mentioned in the OM.

No it's not in the OM, it's in this Ford video at the 16 second mark, right next to the headlight switch. The video doesn't mention it but Ford must have seen it.

:hysterical3:

http://youtu.be/gyzrlskHwUE

I also find this whole post funny. I thought this was a joke about people not knowing about the trunk release button. I cannot remember the last car I had that did not have a trunk release button somewhere inside the car. Actually I can, it was my first car a 1966 Mustang.

Well for once I'm actually ahead of the curve! I use the interior button and the 5-6 on the exterior code panel all the time lol. I think I spotted the interior button on the test drive, but then again I have a tendency to really look things over well. :detective:

Though I must admit, my wife discovered the rubber button above the license plate to pop the trunk when the door is unlocked. Didn't spot that one...

Edited by higheroctave32

I found it on my own, but I can totally understand how people missed it, based on the location. The steering wheel can obstruct the view...

Well for once I'm actually ahead of the curve! I use the interior button and the 5-6 on the exterior code panel all the time lol. I think I spotted the interior button on the test drive, but then again I have a tendency to really look things over well. :detective:

Though I must admit, my wife discovered the rubber button above the license plate to pop the trunk when the door is unlocked. Didn't spot that one...

I wish my wife would remember the button above the license plate. She is always asking me to open the trunk for her. I think the button on the dash is in the same place as it was on my 2010 hybrid.

As a matter of security, I don't understand why the release button is not in a (lockable) glove box.

I know that can have some bad consequences.

I investigated an incident where a police officer had his duty weapon and other equipment locked in his trunk. It was stolen after the thief broke a window and used the mechanical trunk release to open it.

I would think that the least that could be done is to disable the button if the fob isn't present. Perhaps this could be implemented with a software update?

As a matter of security, I don't understand why the release button is not in a (lockable) glove box.

As noted before in this amazingly long topic, why lock the Trunk Button when the car has fold down seats that access the trunk?

The FFH has a Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) and a Perimeter Anti-Theft Alarm System, what more should Ford do?

A tow truck can steal the whole FFH just as easily.

As noted before in this amazingly long topic, why lock the Trunk Button when the car has fold down seats that access the trunk?

The FFH has a Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) and a Perimeter Anti-Theft Alarm System, what more should Ford do?

I knew I was forgetting something! The FFH has the fold down rear seats so this is perfect.

Now everyone can stop worrying, just grab one of these:

http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/8590-the-trunk-monkey-car-security/?p=78822

A tow truck can steal the whole FFH just as easily.

Run that 600V DC through the car. Shock the crap out of the thief! :) Be easy to spot the guy who tried to break in, he will be the one with crazy hair and smoke wisping out of his clothes.

640-02771285em-Man-after-electric-shock-

Edited by acdii

it was fun reading this thread.

sometimes we don't see what's right in front of us, i'm just as guilty.

but for those who want to disable the trunk button, it's pretty easy, it's 2 screws to take off the panel under the steering column, and then you can just unclip the wire set that goes to the button.