mwr

Headlights can turn on with high beams

The headlights on my 2015 FFH SE turn on using the setting (high or low beams) that was active when they turned off. They do this whether you turn them on with the switch or they turn on automatically (auto headlights). I think that's a safety issue, especially in the case of auto headlights when you don't even realize the lights have switched from DRLs to headlights and can drive for quite a while using high beams without noticing it. I think the headlights should always turn on with low beams.

Not sure why this would be a safety issue at least not for you ;) (nice to read that there are drivers being concerned about this)

I believe it's much worse driving around without any headlights which some people do quite often.

Since what you describe can certainly happen with the system Ford is using people usually get a quick reminder with a high beam flash of my own. Unfortunately only a small number of drivers realize their mistake and turn high beams off.

Just look to the right and not like a deer directly into those headlights.

Not sure why this would be a safety issue at least not for you ;) (nice to read that there are drivers being concerned about this)

I believe it's much worse driving around without any headlights which some people do quite often.

Since what you describe can certainly happen with the system Ford is using people usually get a quick reminder with a high beam flash of my own. Unfortunately only a small number of drivers realize their mistake and turn high beams off.

Just look to the right and not like a deer directly into those headlights.

I've found myself using high beams for who knows how long after they came on automatically (switching from DRLs). I still think it's a safely issue and intend to follow up on it. To me, it's an obviously-wrong design decision on Ford's part. Headlights should always turn on using low beams, period.

I'm not sure if the other design would allow for that. My wife's Explorer has the same design as the Fusion by pushing the lever forward.

The other design I know of works by activating a relay just like the turn signal works on the '13 Fusion's where the lever returns to original location. I just can recall if the high beam would be automatically be turn off when the car is turned off.

I mean there's also that intense blue indicator that usually should alert the driver when the high beam is on.

I think in your case it's just getting to know your new pride and joy so it won't be a continuous issue.

I mean there's also that intense blue indicator that usually should alert the driver when the high beam is on.

I think in your case it's just getting to know your new pride and joy so it won't be a continuous issue.

I think it will be a continuous problem because (1) i use auto headlights and DRLs, (2) that means that the headlights come on automatically, replacing the DRLs, and I don't normally notice when that happens, and (3) then I can drive for quite a while not noticing that the high beams are on.

Unless there is a problem, the auto headlights go from low beam to high beam automatically. Whenever I shut the car down with the highs on, on the next key cycle, they automatically drop to low beam, when seeing bright streetlights or headlights ahead.

I do have the DRL's activated on my 2013 FFH.

Edited by gkinla

Unless there is a problem, the auto headlights go from low beam to high beam automatically. Whenever I shut the car down with the highs on, on the next key cycle, they automatically drop to low beam, when seeing bright streetlights or headlights ahead.

"Auto headlamps" just means they come on automatically when it starts to get dark. "Auto high beams" are what you're referring to, and that's a separate option. At least I think that's the terminology Ford uses.

I don't have automatic high beam control. The "auto headlights" i referred to, perhaps naming it incorrectly, is the "autolamps" position on the headlight control. It turns the headlight on automatically when the ambient light falls below a certain level.

All cars do this, only cars with auto highbeams can control them automatically. The high beam switch is manual in non auto cars. Auto on lights only turn them on and off via a light sensor, where the auto highbeams are controlled by a camera.

All cars do this, only cars with auto highbeams can control them automatically. The high beam switch is manual in non auto cars. Auto on lights only turn them on and off via a light sensor, where the auto highbeams are controlled by a camera.

I understand that, and it's fine. What's not fine is that when the headlights come on (even via autolamps), they come on set (high beam or low beam) that was in effect then the headlights last went off.

Thats how my Freestyle and grand marquis is. Leave highs on when shutting off the car, and they turn on as highbeams. The non drivers assist package cars are the same way too.

Thats how my Freestyle and grand marquis is. Leave highs on when shutting off the car, and they turn on as highbeams. The non drivers assist package cars are the same way too.

That doesn't make it a good thing, especially using DRLs and autolamps.

I think it will be a continuous problem because (1) i use auto headlights and DRLs, (2) that means that the headlights come on automatically, replacing the DRLs, and I don't normally notice when that happens, and (3) then I can drive for quite a while not noticing that the high beams are on.

The point IS that if the hi beams come on because you have left the manual lever in the HI-BEAM position, then it seems to me it is a training problem and not a design one. :)

Edited by Easy Rider

The point IS that if the hi beams come on because you have left the manual lever in the HI-BEAM position, then it seems to me it is a training problem and not a design one. :)

On my 2015 FFH SE, there is no "HI-BEAM position" for the headlight lever. You set high beams by pressing down on the lever and then the lever returns to its original position.

It is the driver's responsibility to turn their high beams on and off. Why don't you just turn them off before turning off the car? Then you wouldn't have a problem...

I shouldn't have to remember to turn high beams off when I turn off the car.

I'm through posting to this thread. It looks like we'll have to agree to disagree.

Why not? If you turn off the car with your turn signal on it will still be on when you start the car again. The same is true of the regular headlights or the park lights. Why should the high beams operate differently than everything else?

I'm through posting to this thread. It looks like we'll have to agree to disagree.

If you want them to be automatic, you have to spend $1140 for that option, otherwise they are manually turned on and off, just like every other car on the road. Since the Fusion is all electronic, you could disconnect the battery, then they will revert to the low beam position. However thats an extreme solution to a simple fix, just turn them off before you turn off the car.

Your Fusion actually has a design that reduces the occurance of driving around with high beams on unknowingly. The original Fusion and many other Fords like my MKT have the push-and-stay stalk that is very easy to bump and leave in the high-beam on position. Just the other day I jumped into the MKT after my wife had been driving and noticed the stalk was in the high-beam on position. It was so easy to activate inadvertently that you could easily have your high beams on and never even think that you should check.

With the new design, the only way to turn the high beams on is to actually, consciously, turn the high beams on. When doing so, you should be driving around actively considering when is it time to turn them off. What kind of a place are you pulling up to where you don't dim the headlights before parking? How long do you have them on such that it slips your mind that they are on and you forget to turn them off before stopping the car?

I'm with hybridbear, the high beams shouldn't operate differently than every other thing on the car. Maybe a little chime or something though would be useful to remind you that they are on.

BTW, in the 8000 miles I've driven my FFH, I can only remember ever using the high beams once. But for someone living in a rural place I guess I could see where you would leave them on right up until you pulled in front of the house. But I still think it's on you to remember to turn them off.

What year is your T? Mine has the same controls for the lights as the Fusion does, pull back to turn on or off or flash. The Freestyle though, flip forward, just like you mentioned.

What year is your T? Mine has the same controls for the lights as the Fusion does, pull back to turn on or off or flash. The Freestyle though, flip forward, just like you mentioned.

Mine's the 2010, the 2013 changed to the newer style stalk.

Well that's the way it has worked from the first model A through ALL the vehicles ever made up until just a couple of years ago when everything got to be computer controlled.

If you leave a switch in a wrong position, then it is YOUR fault.

If, OTOH, there is NOT a switch that stays in a "high beam" positon once you put it there........then I would agree with you that the computer should default to LO when the engine is turned off.

Which situation do you have with your car ?

[edit] I see you have answered that already.

Just to verify, your high beam switch is a momentary switch that does NOT stay in a "HI BEAM" position, right ? I kind of doubt it.

On most other models that work like that, a short pull is "flash to pass" and a long pull actually toggles a physical switch ON or OFF........and so if you leave them on, the switch is physically in the ON position even though the lever returns to it's neutral position.

Edited by Easy Rider

Mine's the 2010, the 2013 changed to the newer style stalk.

Now I'm confused because mine a '13 has a push and stay stalk. Did that change with MY14? When they changed the turn signal behavior from activated and return to push and stay.

You got it right:-)

If, OTOH, there is NOT a switch that stays in a "high beam" position once you put it there........then I would agree with you that the computer should default to LO when the engine is turned off.

Ok now I'm glad I didn't bet on this on otherwise I would have lost big time.

I just went outside to see / test for myself and surprise surprise the stalk returns to the previous position just like the turn signal. Apparently I have really used my high beams enough to realize that.

So my wife's Explorer uses the other system I thought the Fusion has as well and yes with that system it's more obvious when high beams are active.

Still I don't think it's a big issue even if this would allow to take care of resetting the high beam when shutting down the car just like mwr would like to see.