mwr

Headlights can turn on with high beams

Unless there is a problem, the auto headlights go from low beam to high beam automatically. Whenever I shut the car down with the highs on, on the next key cycle, they automatically drop to low beam, when seeing bright streetlights or headlights ahead.

I do have the DRL's activated on my 2013 FFH.

"Auto headlamps" just means they come on automatically when it starts to get dark. "Auto high beams" are what you're referring to, and that's a separate option. At least I think that's the terminology Ford uses.

All cars do this, only cars with auto highbeams can control them automatically. The high beam switch is manual in non auto cars. Auto on lights only turn them on and off via a light sensor, where the auto highbeams are controlled by a camera.

Thats how my Freestyle and grand marquis is. Leave highs on when shutting off the car, and they turn on as highbeams. The non drivers assist package cars are the same way too.

If you want them to be automatic, you have to spend $1140 for that option, otherwise they are manually turned on and off, just like every other car on the road. Since the Fusion is all electronic, you could disconnect the battery, then they will revert to the low beam position. However thats an extreme solution to a simple fix, just turn them off before you turn off the car.

What year is your T? Mine has the same controls for the lights as the Fusion does, pull back to turn on or off or flash. The Freestyle though, flip forward, just like you mentioned.