acdii

Tire Review: Continental Pure Contacts

Recently had to replace the crapyear LS2 tires at 35K miles. They were shot. Noisy, so much so that at 60 MPH the drone went right through your bones. They thumped, and wandered badly.

I did some research and found the Pure Contacts to be good tires, long tread life, good road grip and are also stated as LRR tires. I also read that people in snow belts have had good results, thats a follow up to come.

First impression after having them installed, set to factory specs 36 PSI, was the car felt soft, in a good way. The noise level dropped considerably, drone was gone, and so was the thump. Felt like a new car again, actually better than when new. At first the car tracked a little funky, had a slight wander to the left, but after 100 miles that was completely gone. It could have just been me being used to the other tires having a pull in the other direction. Rides over road cracks and tar strips much quieter and smoother. Traction is good wet and dry. One thing I noticed right away is it takes longer to slow down with regen, a sign of lower resistance, which is good, I just have to retrain my right foot a bit.

MPG for 250 miles at 36 PSI in cold and wet weather has been right around the 42 mark. I raised pressure to 40 PSI yesterday, trip home returned up to 47 MPG, and this morning, with wet roads, in 40* temps I saw 47.6 MPG. Promising. With the other tires, if I saw 42 on cold wet roads I was lucky. I now have 350 miles on these tires, and the outlook is good. The ride at 40 PSI is not much different than at 36, a bit firmer, but still very comfortable.

Summary:

Quiet

Good traction

Handling is good

MPG is good

Price is a bit high, but so are many tires in this category.

Comes in 17" and 18" diameter so available for all models of the Fusion Hybrid/Energi(not in the 19" size)

Recommended for the FFH.

I'm glad you have had a positive experience with them thus far - I also got them and have had them on for 3,500 miles and don't like them at all (car is more shaky and shuddering at certain speeds such as 40-50MPH but then gets better over 60, and the only thing that has changed is the tires), and even aside for temperature variations I think my MPG has dropped about 20%, so once I burn through this set I won't be getting them again. But I did get them for $112 each from tirerack so the price was good compared to other tires available.

Edited by jeff_h

I have never seen them for $112 and I was watching constantly. They were at $160 for a while though. By the time shipping was included, they were less expensive at Walmart at $172 each.

Recently had to replace the crapyear LS2 tires at 35K miles.

You have previously described how your driving style results in very fast tread wear. Others have reported reasonably good tread wear on their OEM Goodyear tires. You have also previously stated that you rotated your tires at 10,000 miles which is a long interval and exceeds the tire warranty recommendations of manufactures. A leading cause of tire noise is not rotating them according to manufacturer recommendations.

Most tire makes would probably not perform very well under the conditions that you have previously described for your tires.

I got 40K out of the tires on my 2010, and were still on it with decent tread left when I traded it. I only started driving harsh when the tires started to thump at 18K. Once they started making noise and were horrible in snow, I just drove it like I stole it. I was lucky to get the miles I got out of them. There are others with these same tires who also had to replace them before 30K miles, so not just me.

I only started driving harsh when the tires started to thump at 18K. Once they started making noise and were horrible in snow, I just drove it like I stole it.

Okay, but I was refering to this post where you described your harsh driving style and followed it up by stating that you have been driving this way for years:

http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/9068-real-world-feedback-on-2014-mpg-winter-driving/?p=84810

You had to replace tires on your Energi already? How many miles did you get out of the Michelin tires? I thought the Michelin tires were lasting a lot longer than the Goodyears for most ppl so I'm surprised to hear that you replaced tires already.

I swapped them out at 30k, normally rotate tires myself but with those fiberglass panels under there it makes it a PITA, so I blew it off and at 30k the OEM tires were going wubba-wubba-wubba big time, so I went to the tire shop and got a balance and rotation on them, gave it 1k that way and it still was not better so I said the heck with it and got a new set -- the OEM tires are half worn and sitting the shed -- going back to tire shop in a couple days to tell them it's been 4k miles (will have been by then) and ask them to check balance and rotate again (bought the unlimited balance/rotation thing during last visit)...

--

jeff_h, your experience is surprising. My brother also has these on his '13 VW Golf TDI with a Stage II performance chip and he gets real great mpg's with them.

I have an appt on Friday at tire shop for tire rotation and alignment... will see how it feels over the weekend - then have appt at dealer next Tuesday for 14E02 PCM update and state inspection, and if things still feel funny will have them check further for something else.

So what's the verdict of how these handle in the snow? I'm at 32k on the Goodyears and they need replaced. I was hoping to wait until next winter, but I don't see that happening. These Continental's seem to be the go-to's for this community, but I haven't read a snow review for them on here yet.

Well I haven't driven in snow yet, but my wife has and she said they work pretty good. The only thing I do know is when the roads are slick to where these slip, not many other brands would have traction either.

Just put these on my 2013 and just have a few hundred miles so far. Like then alot and

the car is much more at ease and mileage appears to be going up already.

Right now - Continental has a $70 rebate, so for a prices of $163 - $17.50 = ~$145 - great deal from Tire Rack.

Same technology on the LX20 my wife has on her SUV which is why I got them, they are still doing

very well @ 20k miles. So that sold me on these.

Just to confuse things, I would also seriously consider the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus.

About the same price and rating and I put these on an older car and it changed it dramatically.

I would choose these now even though I have the PureContacts on my 2013 FFH and love them.

The wet handling of both of these is dramatically better than the original Goodyear LS2s - yuck!

Consumer Reports gave the edge to the Pirellis because of treadwear being better.

Either way you won't go wrong.

I'm in the same boat, a little more than 73k on these Michelins, although I think they still have a little life on them. Everyone compares those other tires to the stock Goodyears, but I think the stock Michelins might be better. Why not go with Michelin again?

What is the exact tire model you are referring to, I know Ford switched between Goodyear LS-2 and Michelin something.

The 3 tires in the CR review were Michelin Premier A/S, Continental PureContact and Pirelli P7 Cinturato Plus A/S

As I said, all did very well, similar specs and they gave the edge to the Pirelli as they actually got the rated miles

in their test. In general, the Michelins were about $40-$50 per tire more than the other two. Easy to price out

on TireRack.