Sign in to follow this  
Nmadole

12.5% MPG JUMP?! PCM or Tires?

A different tire diameter would account for it or a 15 mph tailwind.

A good tail wind.

cruise control on.

climate turned off.

higher tire pressure.

a less topped off gas fill.

Car gets better mileage with age.

So many variables.

Or a combination of any.

It's better to MPG rate the tank rather than rate each trip.

My trip computer is much higher than my Fuelly tracking.

12.5% is too big to trust.

But enjoy the moment and do it again tomorrow.. :)

Last week I had snow tires put on my car and had FIELD SERVICE ACTION NUMBER: 14E02 completed on my car.

I have a specific trip to my hometown that I take very frequently (2.5 hours on cruise).

I took the trip last night and ended up with 45 MPG

When I usually take the same trip with my stock 18" wheels (prior to the update) I would get right around 40 MPG.

I was expecting my snow tires to KILL my MPG ... but now I am stumped

?!

My car has 29,000 miles on it and has been extremely consistent at sucking in the MPG category.

I recall another member who has run snow tires on his and got very good MPG. I am curious as all hell now regarding the tires on your car. Yours was built the same week as the BD, and I remember that car had good snow traction, but SUCKED gas like yours did. My first inclination was the tires causing the problem, but could not prove it without swapping them out.

Even though the brand and model of tires are the same was what I just got rid of, I wonder if these few cars that have issues have a different tread pattern on the tires, or received a batch of tires that had tread flaws that impact rolling resistance.

How is the coast down now, any different? Does it seem like it slows down less when you lift your foot?

A good tail wind.

cruise control on.

climate turned off.

higher tire pressure.

a less topped off gas fill.

Car gets better mileage with age.

So many variables.

Or a combination of any.

It's better to MPG rate the tank rather than rate each trip.

My trip computer is much higher than my Fuelly tracking.

12.5% is too big to trust.

But enjoy the moment and do it again tomorrow.. :)

He has a car that was built the same week as the BD I had, with the same issues of really crappy FE. I think I would be as surprised as he is had that car done that. It was horrible at highway speeds.

Headwinds/tailwinds are worth 3 mpg per 10 mph wind. If you had a 7 mph headwind usually, and a 7 mph tailwind on this trip, that would account for the difference. A 7 mph breeze is very gentle when you're standing in it and you would probably not take note of it. Moderate traffic also tends to create a 5 -10 mph tailwind.

Lake Michigan creates it's own weather / prevailing wind

Maybe, but I just looked at the 10 day for Traverse City and the wind directions are from all different directions on the compass.

How about the law of averages .... I've taken this same trip 50+ times and never once have I seen a MPG number above 40 until Saturday.

Collect more data. As of now, it's just one data point and could just be an anomaly. If it occurs again, then it might mean something.

Mine was done yesterday, and the PCM did get reset as I lost all EV+. My trip in this morning in 43* temps was 48+. Doesn't mean much though, had a tail wind or cross wind most of the trip. My trip home will determine if it made any difference. I still have not put grill blocks in either.