mwr

Got my FFH today

Sold my Subaru last Saturday and today got a 2015 FFH SE, Ruby Red, Dune leather interior, and sunroof. I've driven it about 100 miles and like it as much as I expected. I've been so busy that I've spent almost no time learning about the displays other than what the salesman showed me (which was quite useful). When I picked it up, the mpg said 38. At the end of my driving it said 41. The trip info that appeared after I last turned off the engine said 46.7 miles, 21.2 EV miles, 2.9 regen miles, 44.8 mpg, brake score 87%. I just drove it like a normal car, enjoying it all the way. Some 70 mph freeway, some slow congested freeway, some 50-60 mph, some in-town.

All in all, a very good start :-)

post-13031-0-61423400-1414726630_thumb.jpg

Congrats! You got yourself a nice car that will reward you in many ways. Drive Gently and Enjoy!

+1 Congrats on your new car in a very beautiful color!

Glad you found one with the specs you wanted - if you take the brake score from 87 to 99 I think that MPG would have been a few ticks higher, but 44.8 is pretty good as is.... congrats.

Very pretty car, especially with the dune interior. This time of year, the sun roof really comes in handy. 44.8 is good mpg. Depending on how much highway driving you do and how much around town driving, the number may go down or up.

You got excellent MPG considering you are flogging it like a regular car. Imagine what you will be getting once you learn the nuances and tricks, you will be up in the same league as some of our regulars here. :)

Thanks for all the congrats. I'm not at all sure I'll even want to learn all the tricks of the FFH trade for high mileage. I may decide to just enjoy the car. And I don't really think I "flogged" it by driving normally :-)

Sold my Subaru last Saturday and today got a 2015 FFH SE, Ruby Red, Dune leather interior, and sunroof. I've driven it about 100 miles and like it as much as I expected. I've been so busy that I've spent almost no time learning about the displays other than what the salesman showed me (which was quite useful). When I picked it up, the mpg said 38. At the end of my driving it said 41. The trip info that appeared after I last turned off the engine said 46.7 miles, 21.2 EV miles, 2.9 regen miles, 44.8 mpg, brake score 87%. I just drove it like a normal car, enjoying it all the way. Some 70 mph freeway, some slow congested freeway, some 50-60 mph, some in-town.

All in all, a very good start :-)

Many happy driving years. Please sit in the car while parked and read completely through the manuals twice. Push all the buttons. You won't remember everything but it will be very rewarding in the long run. Don't get distracted while driving. Good luck !

Thanks for all the congrats. I'm not at all sure I'll even want to learn all the tricks of the FFH trade for high mileage. I may decide to just enjoy the car. And I don't really think I "flogged" it by driving normally :-)

If you saw how I drive a normal car, vs the HyTi, You would know. LOL Speed limit? Whats that? Curves, make my own roads. :) If I drive either of my other two cars for a couple days, I actually forget how to brake properly in the Fusion.

.. If I drive either of my other two cars for a couple days, I actually forget how to brake properly in the Fusion.

That is one thing I've noticed about my FFH, is that it is very easy to accelerate and brake gently in it. My wife's 2009 Buick Enclave is much harder to drive gently since it has both a touchy brake and a touchy accelerator, so I am almost fighting with the car to get it to drive gently.

Yep, the MKT if I try to accelerate like I do in the HyTi, I go nowhere, takes forever to get up to speed, so it takes much more throttle to get it moving like the Hybrid. Thats one thing great about EV, instant Torque! My Feestyle has new rotors, old pads so they are not the greatest, and takes much more force on the pedal to stop, the MKT has decent brakes, but doesnt have that nice regen slowdown the FFH has. After putting on a few thousand miles, everyone who has one of these knows what we are talking about.

That is one thing I've noticed about my FFH, is that it is very easy to accelerate and brake gently in it. My wife's 2009 Buick Enclave is much harder to drive gently since it has both a touchy brake and a touchy accelerator, so I am almost fighting with the car to get it to drive gently.

Same here with my wife's Explorer it's also not as easy to drive smooth.

Many conventional cars have for years had non-linear accelerator peddle response where the first little bit of pressure gave a big throttle response to make you think the car was "peppy". Hybrids don't have that.

Nor do the EB's.

The only way to get the Freestyle peppy is to strap a rocket to its ass.

I've found that my short-trip (8-12 miles) gas mileage varies a lot (40-54 mpg). The routes are the same or similar, and I'm driving pretty much the same way during all of them. I'm guessing that the mpg differences are mostly due to different beginning (and ending) SOC in the HVB. Agree or not?.

Edited by mwr

I've found that my short-trip (8-12 miles) gas mileage varies a lot (40-54 mpg). The routes are the same or similar, and I'm driving pretty much the same way during all of them. I'm guessing that the mpg differences are mostly die to different beginning (and ending) SOC in the HVB. Agree or not?.

Yep. If you start out with a high charge, chances are you will get better MPG. I know if I leave my house with an empty pack, it takes miles of driving to get it back up, at under 20 MPG. The ICE has to heat up, recharge the pack and propel the car all at the same time. When I leave with a full charge, or close to one, I can see 30-40 MPG within a mile of driving, and it will hover there all the way down the highway.

I filled up the tank yesterday because I wanted to start tracking mpg with me driving, not with some miles put on by the dealer getting and delivering the car. Since filling up, I've driven 47 miles in many short trips, mostly on town streets, some 60 mph freeway, and lots of hills. The car computer shows 47.8 mpg for that period. I couldn't be happier. Total miles are 528 :-)

I filled up the tank yesterday because I wanted to start tracking mpg with me driving, not with some miles put on by the dealer getting and delivering the car. Since filling up, I've driven 47 miles in many short trips, mostly on town streets, some 60 mph freeway, and lots of hills. The car computer shows 47.8 mpg for that period. I couldn't be happier. Total miles are 528 :-)

I'm glad to hear that, it seems Ford has fine tuned the FFH and it's really meeting expectations.

We early adopters of the Gen 2 FFH's had a lot to learn and so did Ford.

The Forum helped a lot of people through some interesting times and a few of the older members with Gen 1 FFH's made a big difference here, and still are.

I just researched and posted to this Forum every Fusion Hybrid TSB, FSA and SSA that was issued by Ford and it gave me a refresher course on the pretty significant items we dealt with.

It's nice to see that issues with the Gen 2 FFH's have slowed to a trickle and new owners are reporting happy driving experiences.

Congratulations to Ford and those folks at the Hermosillo Plant for making that happen.

I just researched and posted to this Forum every Fusion Hybrid TSB, FSA and SSA that was issued by Ford and it gave me a refresher course on the pretty significant items we dealt with.

It's nice to see that issues with the Gen 2 FFH's have slowed to a trickle and new owners are reporting happy driving experiences.

Thank you to all the early adopters that endured the problems and paved the way for us later FFH owners. So far my experience has been a positive one.

Harumph

You were one of those that I was referring to that was a Gen 1 owner that helped so much, and lolder.

The low mpg episode with your first FFH (the Blue Devil) was indicative of what was wrong with some of these cars in the beginning, you had a rough time.

Happily you got away from it and now have a car that works correctly.

HB had a very high mpg car that was failing in other ways, he changed cars, twice.

Mine wasn't exactly meeting mpg expectations either but over time it has been re-calibrated and repaired into a very nice car.

I remember how excited we were that doing a 'hard reset' seemed to help, for a while.

Some fun, eh?

Edited by GrySql

Yep. Would like to know what happened to that first one and how its doing now after updates. I know that when I traded the 2010 in for the one I had now, it was a nice car for the next owner. Dealer didn't need to do a thing to it, but they still had to perform their road tests and while doing it, got rear ended. They got it repaired, and sold it, so hopefully the new owner is still getting good MPG in it.