Sign in to follow this  
acdii

Toyota should rename

The Camry to the Centurion. If you have not seen it yet, the new Camry looks just like an 80's Cylon Centurion. Yeah it is that ugly.

Uhhh, I think they overdid the front design...

Can you imagine trying to clean the bugs off all that honeycombed black plastic??

2015-toyota-camry-photos-and-info-news-c

That's just for the sport version I believe the regular one looks really bland.

The weirdest thing are the DRLs. In the commercials they show nice looking LEDs the version I saw a few days ago had yellow ones in the same spot. Talk about ugly....

They had to do something. the fusion is kicking their butts. But going retro to an 80's campy BSG is not the thing to do. Maybe if they had a model in a 80's BSG flight suit with helmet it would help them sell a few more.

Honestly, I can't figure out how the Toyota Camry can be the #1 selling vehicle - it has no soul, I've never thought it was a nice looking car, and I find the new one to be hideous, especially from the front!

ScreenShot2014-10-25at105317PM_zps515c8c

ScreenShot2014-10-25at105421PM_zpsb6e6c5

They had to do something. the fusion is kicking their butts.

I don't know about that. It still sells way better than the Fusion.

I prefer the new back versus the old Camry, but the front end looks like the Corolla.

I don't know about that. It still sells way better than the Fusion.

I prefer the new back versus the old Camry, but the front end looks like the Corolla.

We traded in our 2011 Camry to buy our second Fusion. The Camry was ok, but nothing special, however, if there's one word that sums up why people buy Camrys, it's reliability. At least that's their reputation. They also hold their value, which helps when trading them in on a Fusion. ;) Edited by md13ffhguy

Appliance, AKA Toaster vs, Sleek sporty and a real looker. Given time, the reliability of the Fords will help it gain and maybe pass the camry.

The new 2015 EPA mpg guesstimate for the Camry Hybrid have gone down - 40/38 mpg.

In the Toyota Website Ad only the cheapest LEh version shows the 2014 EPA of 43/39, with a footnote that states it's the last MY EPA rating.

The SEh and XLEh are the lower EPA 40/38 mpg.

The new 2015 EPA mpg guesstimate for the Camry Hybrid have gone down - 40/38 mpg.

In the Toyota Website Ad only the cheapest LEh version shows the 2014 EPA of 43/39, with a footnote that states it's the last MY EPA rating.

When we bought our 2014 FFH we also looked at the 2014 Camry Hybrid (we've got a 2007). The difference existed then -- it was the larger wheels on the mid and high end models that hurt mileage. Perhaps all 2015s have the larger wheels.

Actually I'm happy to see the more aggressive design -- always thought our 2007 was the most boring design car we have ever bought. We would have bought Ford then if they had a hybrid sedan at the time.

Aren't EPA ratings rules fascinating! Lol

Toyota sells the HyCam LE in lower volume than the XLE, thus the EPA rules require testing of the XLE. But, Toyota knows that the XLE gets worse fuel economy. Thus they test the LE as a separate model. This allows them to publish the LE figures in big print with the XLE figures in fine print and be in compliance with the EPA rules. Does the 2015 HyCam LE say 40/38? I believe the LE got higher EPA ratings because it has lower rolling resistance tires than the XLE and also smaller wheels.

It's interesting to note that Toyota doesn't voluntarily do this extra testing for other models where it would hurt them. The higher trim Prius models come with 17-inch wheels which are reported by owners to return 5 MPG less than the cheaper models with 15-inch wheels. Toyota labels all of them with the same EPA rating. Since the majority of models sold have 15-inch wheels this is acceptable under the current EPA rules.

I believe that Ford eliminated the 18-inch wheel option for 2015 FFHs because too many owners were opting for the 18-inch wheels which was coming close to requiring Ford to report a separate EPA number for 18-inch wheels which would have been lower.

Edited by hybridbear

These are the same ratings that are shown in the EPA Fuel Economy Guides (FEG) for both 2012, 2013, and 2014 for the differing models, and seems to be due to the different tire sizes and maybe lighter weight too, similar to the FFH "S" model.

From the 2014 FEG:

Camry Hybrid LE

AV, 2.5L, 4cyl 41 43/39 $1,150 9 HEV SS

Camry Hybrid XLE/SE

AV, 2.5L, 4cyl 40 40/38 $1,200 9 HEV SS

Edited by Hybrider

A coworker of mine bought a 15 Camry over the 15 FFH. He said that he thought the FFH looked cheap compared to the Camry. Not sure what he was looking at.

I have seen his Camry in person and do not like it. Parts of the interior appear to be very similar to the FFH in looks. Toyota may have used the design from Ford.

Guess not every one knows what cheap is. The Camry I had was CHEAP compared the the 2010 Fusion I replaced it with. I mean when you press your hand down on the middle front of the seat, you should not be able to feel the springs.

It's fugly. The last 2 models looked bland but at least they weren't hideous. What are you thinking Toyota?! Go consult your Lexus engineers for advice - the current lineup there looks damn good.

But it's a Camry. It'll have bulletproof reliability. It'll have the best-in-class resale value. For those reasons, it will always out-sell the Fusion regardless.

In the area where I live, Japanese brands reign supreme in the non-luxury segment - I'm literally the only guy who owns any American brand in the whole neighbourhood. The Euro brands command the luxury segment by a slim majority (anecdotal evidence). My parents still swear by Japanese brands - my dad has not forgotten his horrible Ford experiences from the 1980s (when it deserved to be called 'Fix or Repair Daily'). There's still a huge stigma regarding American brands' quality/reliability despite modern evidence saying otherwise (heck, American brands have been more reliable than Euro luxury ones at least, even in the days before GM went bankrupt).

Oh I dont know, I wanted to put a bullet or 3 into the camry I had. That dash was horribly bright with no way to dim it and was a hazard while driving in fog. At least the 2012 Camry I looked at had better quality than the 09 I had, but not near as nice as the Fusion.