Sign in to follow this  
wreckedcar

How often do you rotate your tires

I did a search in this forum and didn't see where this question has been asked. If I overlooked it forgive me please.

How often do you get your tires rotated? Every car I have ever had I always rotated the tires every 5K miles. My 2014FFH recommends oil change and tire rotation every 10K. Why did Ford choose 10K for the tire roation? Was it just to keep it on shcedule with the oil change maybe? Do most of you follow the 10K recommendation or opt to rotate every 5K still?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

We do the 10K rotation schedule for the hybrids. The Explorer gets its shoes rotated at 6K intervals. Your guess is as good as mine as to why Ford recommends rotation at 10K.

I rotate them every time I drive.

The wheels on the bus go round and round.

My brotherinlaw actually had that painted on the hubcaps of his scibox. It was yellow too. He was denied shrtbus for the plates, wonder why.

No not drunk either, not yet at least.

I always rotate at 5,000 miles. It's a more even tire wear throuought the life of the tires. I buy my tires at an independant tire dealer, I've used this tire dealer since 1979. I always got the best prices from them. Even though my dealer says it will match any legit quote, I say to them why can't you get me the best price first.

The 10K is done by my dealer, at the 10K service, and the every other 5K is done free by my tire dealer.

What about an alignment? Do you guys do that when you do the rotation?

What about an alignment? Do you guys do that when you do the rotation?

NO. Only as needed, when indicated by abnormal tire wear or unusual handling.

The Michelin owners manual can be found here:

http://www.michelinman.com/mediabin/Approved/Michelin/Visuals/Digital/Owners%20Manual_Post_Promise_Plan.pdf

In their section on tire rotation they recommend the following on page 14 (emphasis mine):

To obtain maximum tread life, it is necessary to rotate your tires. Michelin
recommends rotating your tires every 6,000 to 8,000 miles (10,000 to
12,000 km), or as specified by your vehicle manufacturer, whichever
rotation period is less
. Check your vehicle owner’s manual for any
recommendations by your vehicle manufacturer. Monthly inspection for
tire wear is recommended. Your tires should be rotated at the first sign of
irregular wear, even if it occurs before 6,000 miles (10,000 km).

They also state this in regards to their treadwear warranty on page 2 (emphasis mine):

In order to maintain the treadwear warranty on your tires, the tires
must be rotated every 6,000 to 8,000 miles (10,000 -12,000 km), or as
recommended by the vehicle manufacturer, whichever rotation period
is less

For standard tires (i.e. not unidirectional) it is important to get the tires rotating in the opposite direction. For front wheel drive cars you typically move the front tires to the rear (same side) and the rear tires criss-cross to the front. This means that the tires that originally started out on the front will not rotate in the opposite direction until your second tire rotation and if you go by the 10,000 mile recommendation, then they won't start rotating in the opposite direction until 20,000 miles. That seems too long in my opinion.

Edited by Texasota

Thanks for asking the question. I had been wondering about what to do as well. Since oil changes will be so few & far between in the Energi I think I'll do something between 6000 & 8000 miles. I'll do the same thing on the Focus Electric. I need to call the local Discount Tire where I've bought two sets of tires for previous vehicles in the last 5 years to see if they'll do free rotations for me on our current cars.

Keep your eye on the Ford OEM lugnuts, they can get bent or stripped during tire rotations.

P1010207_zps9d9a7fe7.jpg

Yes they do and Ford wants $168.00 for a set (20) of them. I had to replace them and refused to pay Fords price. I found them at Pep Boys for $35.00 for a full set.

I replaced mine with 16 McGard lug nuts for $52. The other 4 are McGard locking lug nuts.

The only way I found to avoid denting the Ford lug nuts is to use a rubber mallet to guarantee the wrench is fully seated before trying to turn it.

I rotate them every time I drive.

The wheels on the bus go round and round.

My brotherinlaw actually had that painted on the hubcaps of his scibox. It was yellow too. He was denied shrtbus for the plates, wonder why.

No not drunk either, not yet at least.

Maybe not drinking but what are you smoking ;)

Yes they do and Ford wants $168.00 for a set (20) of them. I had to replace them and refused to pay Fords price. I found them at Pep Boys for $35.00 for a full set.

How old are those nuts? Good grief. This reminds me I need to find a good shop soon. There are like 25 Ford dealers in St. Louis. I could tell in one visit my dealer (Awfulberg Ford in O'Fallon IL) is a time travel trip to 1980. Yelp me!

I have the same wheel nuts, er style, on my 2015 Focus. 19mm Craftsman 6 point socket fits them very nicely. Haven't rounded one yet on either the Focus or the Fusion.

Then again, I only torque to 80 lbs-ft on tighten.

About every 6 months I swap rims and tires to whatever set is needed. At that time, the tires that are going on are rotated from last position (they use grease pen to mark them) AND I get an alignment. Total cost - zero. Gotta love Goodyear deals.