Sign in to follow this  
Griswald

Crashed it...

Cruise set to 60 on a 60 mph divided highway, Zero traffic. No lights in the area. Weather clear.

All of a sudden, I see an upholstered chair directly in front of me, sort of spanning the white dashed passing line. I tried to swerve, but a Ferarri it aint. Cranked the wheel and just barely moved over and clipped it the drivers side fender. I knew from the sound that it was going to be bad. Got pulled over and couldnt open my door. Thats never a good sign. Called 911 (motto: when seconds count, police are hours away) and wasted a few minutes with them. Another car hit it and pulled over, but must not have had any damage because they drove off, one other car swerved off the road behind me. He had a flashlight and dragged the chair off the road. I drove home to call my insurance company.

Pictures tomorrow when its light out. Looks like a clipped bumper, fender is totaled, maybe a quick touch up on the door and anything under that area might be bent. Hood seems OK and headlight looks fine.$3000 probably.

My first wreck since the late 90s and my first ever that was my fault.

Edited by Griswald

Glad you're ok. Just goes to show that we never know what's next... First accident in over a decade and you hit a chair. Actually, no matter how fault is assigned, I really don't think you should blame yourself. Stuff happens!

It's a good thing that no one was hurt but a shame about you car.

I hope it is fixed quickly and well, this is a major inconvenience for you because of someone's thoughtlessness.

Oh man that stinks! So sorry to hear! I'm glad you weren't hurt. When I saw the topic title it is always scary.

Glad you are ok! Sorry about the car. I hope the repair get done right. I liked your OP because of the when seconds count part of your post.

Insurance adjuster was just here. He wrote everything up and I should know in a day or two what the damage is. As far as hidden damage, he said that the radiator support for most new cars is plastic and the mounting tabs break off rather easily, but he couldn't tell. The body shop will look when they disassemble everything. The good news is that he said my insurance company is one of the easiest to work with when there is hidden damage (Auto-Owners).

Pics

Two front views

post-12978-0-92663500-1413473487_thumb.jpgpost-12978-0-29104500-1413473503_thumb.jpg

Two side views

post-12978-0-76450400-1413473552_thumb.jpgpost-12978-0-88046700-1413473575_thumb.jpg

Close up showing the purple fabric stuck to my paint

post-12978-0-69423700-1413473649_thumb.jpg

Edited by Griswald

Pin Stripes! I like that. I haven't sees a fusion with them. Do you have any photos that show the pinstripes on the undamaged side? I'm thinking about putting gold stripes on my white fusion.

Most insurance companies are very good with hidden damage these days. The bigger risk is the repair shop cutting corners, so make sure you take it to one that has a good reputation.

I noticed the pinstripes too! They look nice. I really like the look of the Fusion in Sterling Gray. I hope you get it fixed soon!