Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

2014 FFH SE too much front end scraping

scrape suspension front

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hindsight

hindsight

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 5 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:18 PM

What can be done about the front end scraping the bottom of its nose so much, beyond trying to drive at an angle at each dip in the road?  This has to be one of the worst points of this otherwise nifty vehicle.  Maybe there is a way to increase the height of the suspension?  This is not about the weird black plastic thing that gets scraped up in front of the tire.  The low front and tire air deflector is probably about increasing mpg, but they should at least decrease the noise by using softer plastics there!  Do the other Fusions and Lincoln MKZ do this as well?  Has anyone replaced the plastic pieces under the front bumper...what was the cost?

Attached Files

276950.png

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   md13ffhguy

md13ffhguy

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 723 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:33 PM

A few months ago, I actually drove in too far over a curb and pulled that piece in your picture partly off when I backed up. Fixed it up ok, though. I've had a few other scrapes backing out of some driveways and with a few dips in the road. Just figured it was something I had to get used to. I certainly don't want to change anything about the car that would negatively affect handling or aerodynamics.

244968.png

#3 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 977 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion S Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:27 PM

I think this is a problem on many of the newer cars.  They have lower front ends and underbody cladding which is designed to improve aerodynamics for increased MPG. They have the unfortunate side affect of easily rubbing and snagging on parking curbs. Not long ago I pulled loose the lower fascia and underbody cladding on my 2012 Focus on a parking curb. At that point we started taking great care to not pull up close to the parking curbs. We no longer nudge the front tires into the parking curbs like we use to with previous cars.

#4 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Yes
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:23 PM

For some reason my passenger side lower fascia has been scraped numerous times but the driver's side is not. 

I try very hard to not scrape, even going to exaggerated extremes, but I still do.  With almost 2 years and 32k miles it's still hard judge some driveways or road dips.

Texasota has the right of it, aerodynamics for efficiency and design elements have lead many cars to have low front ends that are susceptible to damage.

I put splash guards (mud flaps) on my car and am also worried about those.

Maybe we ought to drive even slower.

For a laugh a long time ago on this Forum I suggested these as a Fusion accessory, Parking Guide Antenna and Rubber Bumpers:

ScreenShot2013-07-03at15736PM_zps78d3005

Edited by GrySql, 14 October 2014 - 11:06 AM.

• hybridbear and gkinla like this
The Time Machine....
'13 FFH SE - Platinum White
Custom ordered, build date: 11/30/12, delivered: 12/12/12 - Sold: 09/05/15

#5 OFFLINE   hindsight

hindsight

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 5 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid

Posted 14 October 2014 - 01:47 AM

Where can I get those guides!  do they just pop up when you need them? 
Seriously, I wish we had a camera or the front proximity sensors on our car.  Dealer says they do not install the proximity sensors and it looks too complicated for me to handle.

But all this still does not solve the bottom scraping...car needs the radar of the adaptive cruise control to detect dips and automatically raise the suspension.  Probably could also lower the car cruising down the freeway for even better aerodynamics?  Ford needs to take care of this if they want me to buy another, and I would be tempted to get an Energi when I trade in my other car.  I like not giving cash to the oil companies.  We need to get over burning carbon (CO2 up 33% in only 100 years).  I think we should save it for making plastics.  Solar & storage is the only way to go.  Need to take advantage of that plasma ball 93,000,000 miles away.

276950.png

#6 OFFLINE   Easy Rider

Easy Rider

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Titanium

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:22 AM

At that point we started taking great care to not pull up close to the parking curbs. We no longer nudge the front tires into the parking curbs like we use to with previous cars.

This is the key, I think, as the front air dam has been getting lower and lower on a LOT (all ??) of car models lately.

The times that it scrapes in just normal driving are just part of the territory with a  fuel efficient car these days.

It is SO bad with the Volt or some models of Prius (don't remember which) that there is an optional higher air dam available.

#7 OFFLINE   SteveB_TX

SteveB_TX

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 933 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Our stable: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE, 2013 Ford F-150 XLT Ecoboost Super Crew

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:50 AM

The MKZ is even lower in front than the Fusion.  My lower front fascia is a scratched/scuffed up disaster.  :banghead:

Edited by SteveB_TX, 14 October 2014 - 08:50 AM.

White Platinum Metallic Tri-Coat

Light Dune Leather interior

All of the bells and whistles (without that silly panoramic roof).

#8 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:15 AM

Where can I get those guides!  do they just pop up when you need them? 
Seriously, I wish we had a camera or the front proximity sensors on our car.  Dealer says they do not install the proximity sensors and it looks too complicated for me to handle.

But all this still does not solve the bottom scraping...car needs the radar of the adaptive cruise control to detect dips and automatically raise the suspension.  Probably could also lower the car cruising down the freeway for even better aerodynamics?  Ford needs to take care of this if they want me to buy another, and I would be tempted to get an Energi when I trade in my other car.  I like not giving cash to the oil companies.  We need to get over burning carbon (CO2 up 33% in only 100 years).  I think we should save it for making plastics.  Solar & storage is the only way to go.  Need to take advantage of that plasma ball 93,000,000 miles away.

You're asking for an air suspension that would cost around $1000.  You can buy a lot of fuel or replacement plastic parts for $1000.

• acdii likes this

#9 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 977 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion S Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:50 AM

You're asking for an air suspension that would cost around $1000.  You can buy a lot of fuel or replacement plastic parts for $1000.

Not to mention the additional weight, complexity, and future maintenance headaches.

#10 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:14 PM

Tesla offers an adjustable suspension. It even automatically adjusts based on your speed.

Current Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium - White Platinum Metallic

2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE x2

252543.png167422.png

#11 OFFLINE   corncobs

corncobs

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2,836 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 FFH

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:43 PM

Tesla offers an adjustable suspension. It even automatically adjusts based on your speed.

As well as based on location with the last update. The car will remember where the driver raised the suspension and will do so automatically the next time he is driving to the same location.
  • hybridbear likes this
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE - Lady in Red
Ruby Red / 505A, Tech Pkg, Rear Sensing System, 18" Luxury Wheels

215477.png

#12 OFFLINE   2014FordFusionSE

2014FordFusionSE

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 45 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE

Posted 15 October 2014 - 12:25 AM

+1 on the too much front end scraping.

Happens very often even when I'm really careful

272055.png

#13 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:32 AM

The 1993 Lincoln Mark VIII had it too.  It's not that hard, it's just not very cost effective.

#14 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Yes

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:19 AM

The 1993 Lincoln Mark VIII had it too.  It's not that hard, it's just not very cost effective.

I remember those TV Ad's of the car driving under a barrier at 80 mph that it wouldn't fit under while parked.

One of my friends bought one.

It just looked funny when the air shock system sprang a  leak and the car became a low rider.

The Time Machine....
'13 FFH SE - Platinum White
Custom ordered, build date: 11/30/12, delivered: 12/12/12 - Sold: 09/05/15

#15 OFFLINE   BoomerGer

BoomerGer

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 27 posts
  • Current Vehicle:'12 Focus

Posted 19 October 2014 - 08:48 PM

Well now. This gives me serious thought about NOT purchasing a FFH.  The entrance to my driveway is down, then up, in just a few feet either way, just because of the gutter for water diversion.  Most cars I have had I really need to creep into the driveway, with exception of the Escape Hybrid I had.  THis '12 Focus make entirely too much noise just getting into it, but I THINK it is the plastic air dam underneath that gets hit, mostly.  I do not like it.

Ger - The Southern California Connection

My carma just ran over your dogma!

My other rides;

1971 Dodge Dart, brand new!

1980 Dodge Aspen, used, former Sheriff's car (piece of JUNK!) gas hog to the extent of flushing a toilet when I XLR8!

1980 Chevy Chevette, used, cool little ride

1989 Dodge Colt, used, 4 speed, super gas saver

1992 Plymouth Sundance

2000 Dodge Grand Caravan, new, known as the millineum transporter.  Gas Hog!

2000 Honda CR-V, new, (MUCH better gas mileage than the above)

2003 Honda Element, new, known as the Flaming Box!  SUPER room in the cargo area!

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid, ,new, MPG delivered as per advertised!

2012 Ford Focus, used, nice low ride for an old dude like m'self!

Next???

#16 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:58 AM

Well now. This gives me serious thought about NOT purchasing a FFH.  The entrance to my driveway is down, then up, in just a few feet either way, just because of the gutter for water diversion.  Most cars I have had I really need to creep into the driveway, with exception of the Escape Hybrid I had.  THis '12 Focus make entirely too much noise just getting into it, but I THINK it is the plastic air dam underneath that gets hit, mostly.  I do not like it.

You could test drive a FFH from a local dealer and bring it home to test this out. Then you'd know for sure before buying. Can you enter your driveway at an angle to avoid scraping?

Current Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium - White Platinum Metallic

2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE x2

252543.png167422.png

#17 OFFLINE   Cobra348

Cobra348

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 477 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Ruby Red wLight Stone Leather
  • My Hybrid's Year:2017

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:35 PM

Yeah ... I have a 10 foot uphill entrance to the driveway and it's not a low angle.  The Fiestas I have can clear it but just barely.  I think I will get a 2-3 day rental and see how it does on the hill.

Larry - aka Cobra

Big Red: 2017 FFH SE, Ruby Red, Med Light Stone leather

602A SE Luxury Package, Park Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control w/stop & go

Driver Assist Pkg (lane keeping, BLIS, auto high beams, auto wipers, heated steering wheel)

My additions:  WeatherTech lasercut floor mats, in-channel wind deflectors (dark smoked),

Steeda strut tower brace, Steeda rear sway bar, Steeda hood struts, Ford donut spare

Summer rims/tires - 17" Verde Regency rims with OEM tread

Winter rims/tires - 17" OEM rims with Goodyear UltraGrip WRT Ice

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: scrape, suspension, front

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·