Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Interior 12 Volt Outlet Question

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   gkinla

gkinla

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 340 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Fusion Energi
  • My Hybrid's Year:2016

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:47 PM

Easy Rider, even though the car is off the electric brake booster is always active, according to my understanding.  As a result every time the brakes are applied by the portable braking system the brake booster will engage and drain the battery.

Gary

The braking system is boosted hydraulic. If you lose the electric boost pump the brakes are still hydraulic but have a very hard pedal application to stop, just like a conventional ICE. Except with the FFH, the initial gentle braking is done with the battery regeneration system. Unless the brakes are used in an emergency, then it's a full caliper operation, along with regeneration. The boost pump is not operational when the ignition switch is off. You can pump the brakes with the ignition off and the pump never comes on. Turn the ignition on and the boost pump starts immediately.

Edited by gkinla, 21 October 2014 - 01:48 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 21 October 2014 - 02:17 PM

The boost pump is not operational when the ignition switch is off. You can pump the brakes with the ignition off and the pump never comes on. Turn the ignition on and the boost pump starts immediately.

Really? I thought that when the car is unlocked or the door is opened that the booster pump kicks on. I know that if I get in the car but don't start it and step on the brake pedal I can hear the pump kick in as well. It also kicks in when I keep my foot on the brake after shutting off the car but before getting out.

Current Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium - White Platinum Metallic

2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE x2

252543.png167422.png

#23 OFFLINE   Easy Rider

Easy Rider

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Titanium
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:08 PM

To simulate towing, you would need to sit in the car until EVERYTHING shuts off.......what, a couple of minutes......and then push the brake pedal a couple of times.

Anyway......IF the brake lights won't be in use during the tow, that should mean that the BRAKES aren't going to be in use either.

AND.....connecting the car to some kind of brake controller that would operate the brakes would likely be complicated and expensive and maybe not even practical to do.

Maybe I'm missing out on a critical piece of information here but having the "truck" charge the battery in the car just doesn't seem necessary, or even desirable,  to me.

Edited by Easy Rider, 21 October 2014 - 04:09 PM.

#24 OFFLINE   garymkrieg

garymkrieg

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 50 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:44 PM

There was a thread in either the Fusion Hybrid or Cmax Hybrid forum where a member was surprised that the brakes were active after he parked in his driveway. Naturally, I can't find the post.  But the point of the post was that the brakes always seem to be active even with the ignition off.

Gary

• corncobs likes this

#25 OFFLINE   garymkrieg

garymkrieg

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 50 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:51 PM

Ok, I found the thread http://fordcmaxhybri...tor-home/page-5it starts talking about the brakes at post #86 and seems to be concluded on post #91.

Gary

• corncobs likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·