marklally

Steeda strut tower brace and rear sway bar.

A few days ago I installed the Steeda strut tower brace and larger rear sway bar; I can not speak as to how the two items perform individually, but as a pair, I can attest to the fact that the improvement is amazing. I took my girlfriend on a winding road this morning that we took just last week and she stated that she felt much more confident this time, even though I made sure that we where taking the curves at the same speed as before. I felt the my FFH was a great handling car as it came from the factory with the 18" wheels and the LS2 tires, but now it is better than I could have ever hoped for, I just love it. I have tried to determine if the ride is any harsher on different road surfaces, but after much testing, I just can't say for sure one way or another, so I guess that I am saying that the answer is "no" to that.

I installed the strut tower brace myself in about 5 minutes, but since there was now central location to jack up the rear of the car as a whole, I took it to a local garage and we installed the rear sway bar together on the rack; I would not recommend trying to install the sway bar by yourself on the ground, it would be very frustrating, but doable.

The strut tower brace is $120 dollars and the rear sway bar is $150 dollars, money well spent in my opinion.

The brace and sway bar wont affect the ride, just the stability on turns and curves. The brace keeps the front strut tops locked in place, and the rear sway(there should be one up front too) stiffen the body torsion so the wheels stay panted firmed to the ground. This is something I may look into next year for mine. I like how it handles, but can use some improvement.

Yes, I didn't expect that the ride to be any worse on good roads, but was pleasantly surprised to find that the ride on uneven payment didn't seem to degrade either, but to be fair, I haven't hit any potholes yet. The car does understeer quite a bit less now and this suits my driving ability much better; the car can be tossed much easier now, just as Waldo suggest.

I believe I have about 10k miles left on my OEM LS2 goodyears, for tires that are rated so poorly, on my car they seem to do a very good job, when they do wear out I am leaning towards the Continental PureContact's or the Pirelli P7's; both have very good ratings, I wish there was some reviews on this forum as to how both of these tires do on our particular cars.

I didn't expect that the strut tower brace would have a great deal of effect on a car that is so stiff to start with, but for the price of the unit, I figured that it was worth it to me for even a small advantage.

What a rear sway bar (really and anti-sway bar) does is connect the two wheels together so that as the body rolls, it acts like a stiffer spring in compression on the outside wheel and stiffer in rebound on the inside wheel. It has nothing to do with body torsion, but the effect is that you get less body roll. On front wheel drive cars especially, stiffening the rear bar will often cause the inside rear wheel to lift (not stay planted firmly on the ground), but this isn't always a bad thing.

The real effect is on the balance of the car. Stiffening the rear moves the roll couple balance forwards, which creates more oversteer. It makes the car more "tossable" and fun, but also more dangerous at the limit, that's why it doesn't come from the factory that way. It will affect the ride, but only when one wheel hits a bump that the other side does not. For example a speed bump will be no different, but a pothole will be worse.

I can't image the front strut tower bar does much, since the strut towers on the fusion are already pretty fully integrated into the cowl assembly, essentially the car already has a factory strut tower bar.

Thats what I meant, thats what I get for posting while watching TV. LOL

A service advisor CANNOT refuse work by determining you voided the warranty. That can only be determined by Ford. Period. The SA is just that... an advisor. I have dealt with that type of SA when I had my Mustang GT. He lost his job over it. :)