Sign in to follow this  
keving1

Poor MPG

Look at this chart. The vertical axis is fuel used for a given distance. This is in liters but the curve shape is the same for gallons. See how little more fuel is used at 38 mpg instead of 44. Many factors would affect this small difference; speed, temperature, headwinds, rain, AC use, road texture, tire pressure, trip length and most important of all the driver. 38 mpg as a start is not bad. Read all the manuals and understand the difference between all the available economy readings. In the Gen I 2010-12 FFH there are 6; instant mpg, bar graphs, long term, average mpg, trip summary and distance to empty. They are all calculated differently. There is no break-in of the car, it's mostly you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Chart_MPG_to_L-100km_v2009-10-08.svg

My two cents - I have just over 2500 miles on my FFH. My lifetime average is 47.3 MPG, and I'm probably going to join the 600 mile club for the first time with this tank of gas. I agree whole heartedly with the use of the Empower screen, and the "two-bar method" of acceleration. I get my FFH up to speed using that method, and I put it on cruise control almost everywhere I go. I've learned to anticipate traffic signals and let the car decelerate as well as taking advantage of regenerative braking. Right now it's a game to see if I can keep my current MPGs at 50+ on each tank. While long and/or highway travel knocks my MPGs down, most of my 4 mile commute is on city streets, hence a good mixture of ICE and battery usage. I'm calmer, I travel in the right lane for those folks who are less calm, and I love my FFH.

My two cents - I have just over 2500 miles on my FFH. My lifetime average is 47.3 MPG, and I'm probably going to join the 600 mile club for the first time with this tank of gas. I agree whole heartedly with the use of the Empower screen, and the "two-bar method" of acceleration. I get my FFH up to speed using that method, and I put it on cruise control almost everywhere I go. I've learned to anticipate traffic signals and let the car decelerate as well as taking advantage of regenerative braking. Right now it's a game to see if I can keep my current MPGs at 50+ on each tank. While long and/or highway travel knocks my MPGs down, most of my 4 mile commute is on city streets, hence a good mixture of ICE and battery usage. I'm calmer, I travel in the right lane for those folks who are less calm, and I love my FFH.

That sounds like I drive, being as smooth as possible and avoid making the car a 'shake weight'.... I had the 2013 hybrid for a year and 35k miles, the only tank that was below 40 (actual based on fuelly) was the first one.

https://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/fusion/2013/jeffh/165741/fuelchart

The really cold and really hot weather will definitely put a damper on things, however the mild weather in the Spring and Fall can make for some really good tanks, sounds like as you're experiencing now. But I think the smooth starts and anticipatory slowing for red lights ahead make quite a difference, as my wife used to get 10+ MPG less than I did while driving my hybrid, when driving the same routes.

BINGO!!! Driving relaxed, gently, and in the right lane is not necessarily hypermiling (which carries a negative connotation to some). I make a conscientious effort not to be a hindrance to others, and have never really had a problem with other drivers around me (Ok, one woman did once pass me on a double yellow in a school zone, where I was strictly adhering to the speed limit...). Using my old approach - speeding in the fast lane - probably shaved 4 to 5 minutes off my commute... Now, I figure I spend that time listening to an extra song in relaxed comfort. Everybody makes choices.

Very first trip I had in my HyTi was 47 MPG. Now that they reduced EPA, I exceed EPA. :) Current tank is sitting over 47 MPG. Drive it right and get rewarded, drive like mario and pay for it in fuel used. Even this morning with some short lights and 38% braking at times I still managed 48 MPG(Was quite surprised too).

EPA says if you drive a certain way, this is what you can expect to see in fuel economy and they are correct. EPA on my 2005 Freestyle is 17-22, and I am exceeding it with 22.5 actual. EPA on the MKT is 16-23-18 and I am right up there with just under 21 MPG, including play time and trailer towing.

Oh, and I have checked my mileage with gallons divided by miles, by an OBD2 program called HOBD and by Torque and they all seem to hover right around the same as the dashboard is telling me. I don't think its off that far.

I believe this varies from car to car.

I have ~3300 miles on my 2015 FFH and I have been manually calculating the MPG on every fill up. While I am very happy and amazed with the "actual" MPG my FFH is getting the trip MPG has been consistently inflated by about 2-4 MPG. That seems like a large amount of error to me and it is the only complaint (minor) that I have so far.

Are you adjusting for the odometer discrepancy?

Is there a documented discrepancy with these vehicles? Is it significant?

find a road side speed camera and drive past it at different speeds. You will find it will not match your speedometer, also the trip and odometer doesn't match up either. It's around 2 MPH or so off.

Are you adjusting for the odometer discrepancy?

I have not attempted to measure odometer discrepancy yet but I have confirmed that the speedometer reads 1 MPH faster than the true speed (confirmed by my GPS and roadside speed camera).

I have not attempted to measure odometer discrepancy yet but I have confirmed that the speedometer reads 1 MPH faster than the true speed (confirmed by my GPS and roadside speed camera).

How did you confirm the accuracy of your GPS and the speed camera?

Stopwatch and roadside markers. When they match to GPS and roadside cameras, you can have a safe bet their accurate. My Speedo reads 62 MPH when actual is 60.

How did you confirm the accuracy of your GPS and the speed camera?

You are correct; I can't say for sure that the GPS is 100% accurate. But, the GPS matched the speedometer exactly on my 2012 Focus and it has matched more than one speed camera. Based on that, I have been assuming it is more accurate than my FFH's speedometer.