gkinla

Forward looking camera fogged over.

While cleaning the windshield this morning, I noticed the forward looking camera lens fogged over on the inside of the windshield. Several times last month, in the morning, I got a notice that my FLC needed cleaning. I didn't think anything of it as the notice went away. Has anyone had this happen to them? I'm taking the car in for its 20k mile service so I'll bring this up with my SA.

I'm just thinking here, I did have the AC plenum changed due to the stink when turning on the A/C. Just wondering if the techs had to take the camera housing off to get the dash out, and when re-installing failed to get a seal in the correct position, allowing moist air to get sucked in and condensing on the inside.

329701b79a4bbad3af2ad359c9262619.jpg

Thanks GrySql, didn't think that there would be a defroster in the windshield camera. It does make sense though. The message I did get was Front Camera Low visibility.

The message I did get was Front Camera Low visibility.

I get this about 12-15 seconds after pulling out of my garage each morning, of the past 30 days probably got it 27-28 of those days.

I get this about 12-15 seconds after pulling out of my garage each morning, of the past 30 days probably got it 27-28 of those days.

I checked this morning after a 25 mile FWY drive and the camera window was still fogged up when I arrived. Same thing on the way home. I just checked again,12 hours later and the camera window is still fogged up. So most likely the defroster heater is not working. I haven't noticed this before.

I checked this morning after a 25 mile FWY drive and the camera window was still fogged up when I arrived. Same thing on the way home. I just checked again,12 hours later and the camera window is still fogged up. So most likely the defroster heater is not working. I haven't noticed this before.

Definitely bring this up when you're in for your maintenance visit, gkinla. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see how things go; don't hesitate to contact me if you need my assistance.

Crystal

I posted last year about the defroster for that camera. I went out to my car after work and had used the remote start, and noticed a clear area on the windshield where the camera is.

1417718_643563752352429_1419832278_o.jpg

acdii, thanks for posting this picture. This morning I used the Max Defrost setting. The side mirrors cleared but the forward facing camera
lens didn't clear. It's not that cold in SOCAL in the morning 61 deg F. But there is a lot of morning dew. I'm still wondering why there is moisture on the inside of the windshield obscuring the lens. I'll have the 20k mile service soon, I'll bring it up to the S/A, and see what he says.

Edited by gkinla

Sounds like moisture got trapped in there during the work they did on it. They may have had to remove all that to get the dash out.

Have you tried heating up that area with a hair dryer? That might provide a temporary fix. It sounds like the seal is busted though, and you'll need a dealer repair. Maybe the hairdryer will warm things enough to dry out and re-seal, if you're lucky!

Have you tried heating up that area with a hair dryer? That might provide a temporary fix. It sounds like the seal is busted though, and you'll need a dealer repair. Maybe the hairdryer will warm things enough to dry out and re-seal, if you're lucky!

Yesterday I placed the car in direct sunlight, it was 100 deg F here, hoping to drive out the moisture, didn't happpen. The area probably got hotter than using a hair dryer.

Yeah dont use a hair dryer, good way to crack the glass. It has to heat up evenly or it could crack. If the seal is good, the moisture will never escape.

Update, my dealer removed the camera housing and cleaned the inside windshield. My SA said the seal was re-seated. Everything is okay for now. Two mornings without any fogging.

Update, my dealer removed the camera housing and cleaned the inside windshield. My SA said the seal was re-seated. Everything is okay for now. Two mornings without any fogging.

Awesome news, gkinla! Thanks for sharing your results with us. :)

Crystal

It appears these cameras, at least for the high beams, are temp sensitive. Mine at first did not go high, then when it did, it would not dim with approaching cars. It was 32* this morning, then after a bit I guess it warmed up and worked fine.