Sign in to follow this  
higheroctave32

Higher tire pressure

I just checked mine the other day, I have one tire with a slow leak. They were all over the place, now they are at 42 each and the ride is improved. They still thump, and need to be replaced.

I was little surprised at the 51psi rating on the tire.

From Tirerack:

The pounds per square inch (psi) pressure number branded on the tire's sidewall identifies the maximum cold inflation pressure that specific tire is rated to hold. However, the tire's maximum pressure is not necessarily the correct pressure for every vehicle upon which the tire can be used (almost all vehicle manufacturers' recommended tire inflation pressures are less than the tires' maximum pressure).

Usually the Low Rolling Resistance (LRR) tires have higher psi ratings, I think some members run their tire pressure even higher than I do.

I tried as much as 50 psi and after testing various pressures settled on the ride quality I liked at the psi I mentioned earlier.

I had the PCM Recall done the other day at my local Dealer, the final Work Order had a box checked that my tires were set to OEM spec's (34 PSI).

When I got home they were still at 40 psi, i suppose the Tech either just waved the air pressure gauge over the tire or checked and left it alone, which was okay with me.

When I had my oil/filter done on the Z at the Ford dealership, the multi-point inspection sheet showed the spare tire was good, which is miraculous since I do not have one of those precious gems. :)

The biggest downside to the higher pressure (if you like the ride) is longer stopping distances. All of you saying "everything is fine" haven't had to make any panic stops obviously. It might be a rare occurrence, but that extra foot or two the lower tire pressure gives you could make the difference between a crash and not.

Just the fact its a hybrid can make panic stops longer since the pads and rotors barely have any wear on them, at times they act as newly installed brakes. Had that happen a few times now. Takes much greater pedal pressure to lock them up than on either of my non hybrids. I find myself overshooting the stop line at times when I have to stop fast due to stupid lights at the bottom of a hill. The only times braking seems to be really good is when they are damp.

Just the fact its a hybrid can make panic stops longer since the pads and rotors barely have any wear on them, at times they act as newly installed brakes. Had that happen a few times now. Takes much greater pedal pressure to lock them up than on either of my non hybrids. I find myself overshooting the stop line at times when I have to stop fast due to stupid lights at the bottom of a hill. The only times braking seems to be really good is when they are damp.

On the other hand, because I happily drive it more gently than any car I've previously owned, I've yet to have to make any "panicked" stops. Btw, I've noticed when my brakes are a little damp, they tend to grab more suddenly than expected.

Yep, new brake pads tend to do that when damp too. The lighter you are on the brakes, the longer they take to get a good bedding. Thats what I find with my car. 33K miles and they still feel like brand new brakes.

Yep, new brake pads tend to do that when damp too. The lighter you are on the brakes, the longer they take to get a good bedding. Thats what I find with my car. 33K miles and they still feel like brand new brakes.

Little to no brake dust is a plus, too!

Still, I'm with Sleddog - I'm keeping my tire inflation pressure at the "recommendation" on the door frame. I don't feel like I need to squeeze out too many more MPGs.

Mine is raised for handling. I prefer a firm tight car over mush. I set the MKT to Comfort once, once.