Sign in to follow this  
kbailey990

Michelin Energy Saver A/S vs. Michelin Premier A/S

New Tire Time Soon

I'm at 50,000 miles, and I'm starting to think about tire replacement. I'm sure a lot of 2013 owners are in about the same place as me, or will be there very soon!

I've had good results with the OEM Michelin Energy Saver A/S, and they are an affordable replacement contender. I'm also looking at the new Michelin Premier A/S. They have a V shaped groove that gets bigger as the tire wears down to channel water away. Michelin claims better rain performance than competitors as they age, which matters to me here in Florida. Also, I'll never have to drive in snow, so that's not a factor for my needs.

Here's the Michelin rating for both tires:

Energy Saver A/S Wear Life 7, Fuel Efficiency 10, Handling 8, Braking 8, Comfort 10.

Premier A/S Wear Life 10, Fuel Efficiency 9, Handling 9, Braking 10, Comfort 10.

Does anyone have pros/cons, thoughts, suggestions? I couldn't find the Premier's on TireRack, so I came up blank on real world comparisons. I've learned more about my car from this forum than anywhere else, and I value all your opinions and feedback.

Most likely you would lose a tiny bit of fuel economy, but looks like you will get better traction and handling. Another good tire is the Continental Pure Contacts, several owners have put those on who have 18" wheels, and they make them for 17" too THe Pure Contacts have good traction and are low rolling resistance tires.

My car has the 18" tires and came with GY LS2 so I don't personally know about the Michelin tires.

Tire Rack doesn't seem to sell the Premier in your tire size.

Tire Rack does have reviews for both of those Michelin tires and mostly they are very good, the Energy Saver's seem to rate better for tire wear, the Premier seem to rate better in wet conditions and ride quality.

The Uniform Tire Quality Grade Standards (UTQG) ratings for the ES is 480 AA, the Premier has a 640 AA - the higher number is better.

Neither is a bad choice after reading a few reviews. I agree with acdii, the Premier may lose you a mpg or two.

I switched to 235/45R-18 Continental PureContact with EcoPlus Technology tires (UTQG = 700 AA) and am extremely happy with them.

I was surprised that I couldn't find my size on TireRack, so I did some digging...

When I go to the TireRack website, and use their search tool for 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid, they show two possible tire sizes as:

Original Equipment Size 1: 235/50-17 or

Original Equipment Size 2: 235/45-18.

That isn't what's on my car. I have 225/50-17's Michelin Energy Saver A/S, and that is the size on the door plate.

TireRack does stock 225/50-17's for the Michelin Premier A/S, so I called TireRack and asked them about the selection grid that only offer's the 235's. They said that their records show that Ford used both 17 inch sizes 225 and 235 in 2013, which I hadn't heard before. Question for the group: Are there two different 17" tire sizes used in 2013, or was the TireRack representative wrong?

If TireRack is wrong, then other users will have a hard time finding the right size tires there.

I was surprised that I couldn't find my size on TireRack, so I did some digging...

When I go to the TireRack website, and use their search tool for 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid, they show two possible tire sizes as:

Original Equipment Size 1: 235/50-17 or

Original Equipment Size 2: 235/45-18.

That isn't what's on my car. I have 225/50-17's Michelin Energy Saver A/S, and that is the size on the door plate.

TireRack does stock 225/50-17's for the Michelin Premier A/S, so I called TireRack and asked them about the selection grid that only offer's the 235's. They said that their records show that Ford used both 17 inch sizes 225 and 235 in 2013, which I hadn't heard before. Question for the group: Are there two different 17" tire sizes used in 2013, or was the TireRack representative wrong?

If TireRack is wrong, then other users will have a hard time finding the right size tires there.

You can find a table that lists all of the tire sizes found on gas and hybrid Fusions in this post, and it does list two 17" sizes, one for gas and one for Hybrid.

http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/8437-all-from-dealer-method-for-obtaining-spare-tire-with-research-notes-and-installation-tips/