Sign in to follow this  
higheroctave32

Windows got tinted today

Finally got the car down to the shop to have her windows tinted.

I had them do 20% on the back and 35% up front. Couldn't stand all that clear glass. I've tinted every car I've had and I felt like a bug in a jar until now lol. :bee:

They look really dark because the sunshade covers the entire windshield

:camera:

post-13405-0-42555300-1411592736_thumb.jpg

post-13405-0-38725500-1411592742_thumb.jpg

post-13405-0-54816400-1411592748_thumb.jpg

Looks great! My tint sure cooled the inside of the car.

(This Topic was moved to the appropriate Forum.)

Edited by GrySql

That's really dark! That's pretty incredible that your state will allow you to legally tint the front so dark. We can't do that here in MN.

That's really dark! That's pretty incredible that your state will allow you to legally tint the front so dark. We can't do that here in MN.

That is not legal in CA but we have an awful lot of cars that have tinted front windows.

That is not legal in CA but we have an awful lot of cars that have tinted front windows.

Can't businesses get in trouble then for installing a product that isn't legal?

My Tint Shop had a disclaimer on the work order/receipt that stated they were not responsible for LE issues, I had to initial it before they did the job.

I asked about that and they wouldn't do any work, period, without that release of liability.

I don't know what other shops do but mine was very firm about that.

Edited by GrySql

As long as the tint is legal when finished, their is no liability for the tinter, but go past it, dont know if they have a disclaimer here in IL. I do know that had I left the 5% on the Flex, I would have been pulled over for sure. I left it on the two rear fixed panels, but removed it from the doors. It looked really cool with it though. I do need to get my Freestyle tinted though, there is NO tint on those windows other than the usual green hue. Usually this type of vehicle has darker rear windows.

It's not really that dark up front being 35%. With the sunshade in it makes it look much darker than it is. During the day you can see in pretty clearly and night visibility is no problem at all. And yes, CA does not allow any tint on the front sides yet I've never had any problems, but never went really dark either. I will try to get a more accurate picture.

Mine are 35%, so I know how it looks for real, pics make them darker than they really are.

Mine are 35%

Do you find that 35% tint makes a noticeable difference in the interior temperature?

Before I decided on my tint, the counter guy at the shop was showing me some examples. Pointing to a BMW with 20%, he said, "That's our most popular tint right there, but it's not legal." He also mentioned that applying 35% tint to most cars will actually result in something darker, which would technically not be legal either, since most OEM glass already includes a slight tint, and the effect is additive. Made sense to me.

Before I decided on my tint, the counter guy at the shop was showing me some examples. Pointing to a BMW with 20%, he said, "That's our most popular tint right there, but it's not legal." He also mentioned that applying 35% tint to most cars will actually result in something darker, which would technically not be legal either, since most OEM glass already includes a slight tint, and the effect is additive. Made sense to me.

Depends on the factory tint. I believe most of them are around 10% and you can add another 25% to stay legal in most states. In IL its 35% tint all around (no windshield) or darker behind the B-pillar with no additional tint on the front doors IIRC. ;)

When they did mine the measured carefully and depending on conditions my total tint is about 3 % more (or less) than the limit which is OK with LE since there is measurement error they need to account for. At least that's what I was told :)

Problem while talking about tiny is that people talk about two different measurements. Either how much light can still pass through or how much is blocked. Makes it sometimes hard to wrap your mind around.

Edited by corncobs

I definitely noticed an improvement in interior heat, and I park in full sun all day while at work. Before, I would get in the car and it was sweltering, now it is just really warm. I have also started putting up the sunshade in the windshield as well as two in the side windows that get the afternoon/evening sun. Makes a huge difference.

I definitely noticed an improvement in interior heat, and I park in full sun all day while at work. Before, I would get in the car and it was sweltering, now it is just really warm. I have also started putting up the sunshade in the windshield as well as two in the side windows that get the afternoon/evening sun. Makes a huge difference.

How much of the huge difference do you think comes from the tint vs from the sunshades? (I've used a windshield sunshade in all my cars for many years.)

Edited by mwr

I was using the sunshade only for the first three weeks and it was very hot. The heat really went down after the tint was applied. I just started using the side shades yesterday. So from one day (no tint) to the next (tinted) I noticed a significant improvement.

I was using the sunshade only for the first three weeks and it was very hot. The heat really went down after the tint was applied. I just started using the side shades yesterday. So from one day (no tint) to the next (tinted) I noticed a significant improvement.

+1

I got the windshield tinted too and that was a big improvement.

I may have that done one day simply for more UV/heat rejection. Never occurred to me before to do a very light tint just for that purpose lol.

Mine is black, so it captures heat no matter what, but it does appear to be not as hot after the tints.

I've had my HyTi almost 4 weeks now and I just got mine tinted. I too did the 35% up front and 20% rear. Its a cloudy rainy day, but man does it look sweet!

post-14205-0-53466000-1434384935_thumb.jpg

post-14205-0-14947500-1434384970_thumb.jpg

I've had my HyTi almost 4 weeks now and I just got mine tinted. I too did the 35% up front and 20% rear. Its a cloudy rainy day, but man does it look sweet!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Is your FFH Darkside? The color looks great!

This is NY law ...

Can I have tinted windows on my vehicle?

It depends. Section 375 (12-a) of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law does not allow a windshield or front side windows that are dark. The windshield and front side windows cannot block more than 30% of the light. Seventy percent or more of the light from the outside must pass through the window. This law also applies to the rear window unless the vehicle has outside rear-view mirrors on both sides. The mirrors must give the driver a full and clear view behind the vehicle.

If the vehicle is classified as a station wagon, sedan, hardtop, coupe, hatchback or convertible, the rear side windows must also allow at least seventy percent of light from the outside to pass through the window.

It is illegal to sell, offer for sale, or install glass that does not comply with this law. It is illegal to operate a vehicle with glass that does not comply with this law.

If you have a medical condition that requires you to have tinted vehicle windows, you can request an exemption from the law. Request form MV-80W from a DMV Office or Call Center.

= = = = =

What this doesn't state is that the full windshield cannot be tinted but only about 6" strip at the top. I'm considering tint as the interior has been rather hot a few times so far.

Is your FFH Darkside? The color looks great!

Thanks. Its the Guard Metallic. I really like it, its definately green, but not overly green...for a hybrid :)

That looks really good. I'm rather jealous as I live in Michigan. I can tint the back and the rear windows, but not the front windows beyond the top four inches. I had tinting like that on my Beretta and it just looks awful. As a result I refuse to get my windows tinted at all.