Michelle Clayton Flanders

frustrated hybrid owner with poor mpg

If your trips are short and you set the AC to about 70º F. this summer, you might be seeing that number if you have the AC on all the time. Mileage takes a BIG hit if you start the AC as soon as you get into a heat soaked car. 70 mph highway speeds with 95º Temps will barely yield 40 mpg.

Its the feel good factor though! :)

Just like this is.

10648424_789078091134327_157214542737401

Just because it says 47.1, doesnt mean I actually GOT 47.1, but still feels good to see that.

You should lower the charge as you near home so when the ICE runs for it's initial checks and warms up you get the charge back. Don't force EV.

I find(keep in mind its 55MPH out of my driveway) that in leaving home if I have a full SOC, I tend to get better MPG than if the battery is half or less. As soon as I pull out the ICE kicks on, I bump it down to low and back to bypass stage 1, and by the time I reach the speed limit the instant is up near 40 MPG. Turning EV+ off would work fine if I only drove to and from my house with no other stops, but EV+ helps when I near my office since its 25 MPH for about a mile or so, and since I use all EV for that, the EV+ works great. When I leave my office I have to climb a hill, so best time to charge the pack, is going up that hill. By the time I am at the top and turn, the pack is nearly charged, its a 30 MPH zone and I can cruise in EV for a bit more.

It's funny but I dont go down the hill to my office since it actually can take longer then going down the residential area, but going the other way its fast since I can turn right onto that road usually right away. Also in the morning there is no left turn onto the side street where I work. I would have to make 2 left turns at lights.

Oh on the AC thing, there must be some sort of moisture measuring device in the HVAC, it was raining this morning and the AC was on the entire trip, unlike yesterday when it went off right away.

I understand delivery companies like UPS plan their routes to avoid left turns.

The HVAC knows the humidity inside. I have had my 2010 go to defrost/defog automatically on foggy mornings.

Was the car heat soaked for the first afternoon trip? If so, that's the reason. It can take over 15 minutes for the AC load to reach even 150% of steady state even though the fan speed has decreased.