GrySql

Summer heat takes it's toll in mpg's

At least his fuel will never gel up on him there! :) I can see a drop when I have to use AC, it has been a very cold summer here, only 3 90* days, most were in the 70's(NOT complaining!!!), so I rarely had to use AC, but when I did, it was a 3-5 MPG hit depending on how hot it was. Right now I am at the point where I am just enjoying the car and anything above 42 MPG is a bonus. Since my wife drives it often and is not a tenderfoot like me(I think VROOM is her middle name), my tank averages is very inconsistent, so the giveadammer is broken.

..., so I rarely had to use AC, but when I did, it was a 3-5 MPG hit depending on how hot it was. ...

Based on the A/C power draw curve below, posted by larryh in this post, and on my own prevalent use of A/C in very hot temps, the biggest hits to the MPG numbers seem to be for short trips while using the A/C, especially when there are long gaps in between where the car heats back up again. Whereas, if the trips are longer, such as in a 30-minute commute, then the use of the A/C doesn't seem to impact the MPGs nearly as much as some people have experienced, presumably when their trips were short ones.

gallery_11839_341_23066.png

Also, based on my experiences in high heat conditions, and others' postings in this forum on the extreme cold conditions, it seems the sweet spot for the optimum MPGs in the FFHs is in the 60° - 85° temperature range.

Edited by Hybrider

BTW, by increasing my use of city routes versus highway routes, but still at about a 60%/40% ratio of city to highway driving, I have been slowly managing to increase my lifetime MPG average this summer, starting the summer at about 44.5 MPG lifetime average, and I am now at 45.3 MPG, even with the temps in the 95° - 110° range throughout the summer and constantly using the A/C on every trip.

As I do not like to be hot, and my ideal room temp is 68° - 70°, as soon as I sense I am feeling the slightest bit hot, I decrease the temp on the A/C control until I am comfortable again. So I am still able to get 45-48 MPG trip averages in high desert temps, all the while constantly running the A/C to stay very comfortable.

So I can't wait for the mild winters here to start soon so the temps will come down to the sweet spot temps for maximum MPGs, especially now that my FFH is becoming much more broken in too. :drool:

Edited by Hybrider

Desert Summer heat definitly takes it's toll on MPGs.

Here is my summer commute:

I wake up early and it's already 85 degrees out and 90+ by the time I make it to work (it's only 8AM). I have to run the AC as I don't want to arrive to work all sweaty. This leg of the trip is mostly uphill so MPGs already suffer. I take the highway in the summer as I'm able to maintain a better SoC with the AC running, (sitting at traffic lights drains the battery like crazy with the AC on) the traffic is not too bad usually, get to work and average about 39-42 MPG.

Then I leave work, my car inside is 150 degrees and it's 110 outside (but it's a dry heat right?), the AC is a must. I get on the highway where the blacktop has been exposed to nonstop sun heat and car exhaust all day, I look down and see the temperature is now 115, the AC is blowing as hard as it can draining the HVB faster then it can be charged, now the volume traffic starts on the highway, I'm sitting still, the SoC is dropping by the second, then I feel the ICE kick on and start to charge the battery, watching the dash I see the MPG start moving down rapidly, I'm not driving but my ICE is running, the enemy of MPGs. I hope this only happens once or twice today. The sun in beating down on my slowly moving car, cooking the air inside, the AC is still struggling to drop the temperature below 100 degrees, Finally, the traffic starts moving, today I was lucky and traffic started moving just as a charge cycle finished, the AC finally starts to catch up, I'm now able to keep a charge and drive, I now need to really drive for MPGs to make up for the traffic. Arrive home 35-38 MPG, today was a good day. In my old car I would have gotten 15-20.

So when you are in the cold of your winter thinking about how your MPGs are suffering, remember us deset dwellers in the Summer.

Edited by HighwayJerk

But its a dry heat! I would rather deal with your 110* heat than 90* HUMID heat here. YUCK!

I'm not going to mention the temp and humidity level we get when the Monsoon season is in full force and god forbid if a hurricane is off the coast.

Unfortunately we all can't live and afford to be in San Diego where it is 75 degrees every day.

The "ICE running" is not the "enemy" of mpg. The ICE running inefficiently is. The ICE has to run as all the energy comes from gasoline and at highway speeds the ICE should run all the time. The raising of the max EV speed in the 2013+ was a mistake. Cycling of EV at highway speeds is a mistake by Ford.

Try a solar ventilation system to lower the heat soaking if you can't park in the shade or vent your windows while parked. Drive a few blocks with all windows and roofs open.

Edited by lolder

It takes gasoline to charge the HVB. In reality the EV should only be used for coasting, cruising, and assist. Drain the HVB, then look at your instant, its 20 MPG or less until you get above 50% SOC, then in the 30's until you reach 70%, once above 70% then you get above 40 MPG. If you go a mile on EV, then take 4 miles to recharge back to full and cycle that way, you will use more fuel than if you maintain a steady 70-80% charge and run on just the ICE.

Good example is this morning. I normally drive so that I use 100% ICE on the highways(55MPH Rural ones), and can see about 46-50 MPG depending on weather, traffic, and lights. This morning the sun was at a bad angle and I could not see my dash, so I slipped into EV too many times without knowing it until the spots went away and I could focus on the dash. End result was 43 MPG. With the temps and traffic today it would have normally been 48 MPG.

In City traffic, mixing ICE and EV is the most efficient. Accelerate on ICE, back off and coast/cruise on EV, anything under 40 MPH this works best and quite easy to get 50+ MPG all day long. If you were to see my daily drive graph, where its highway for 2/3rds and city for the last, you will see a block of around 40 MPG and the ending block maxed out.

So using gasoline is more efficient than not using gasoline...I don't understand. I do everything in my control NOT to use gasoline, no matter what the conditions. My ICE never shows above 40 MPG, but when on EV, it shows way over 100, sometimes ad high as 500 MPG (on my OBD fuel consumption gauge). Seems to me that I want to be closer to the 500 number than the 40 number.

The FFH uses an Atkinson cycle engine with thermal efficiencies approaching that of diesel engines under certain conditions. The downside of Atkinson on a gas engine is little low end torque which the electric traction motors provide when needed to assist the Atkinson gas engine reach its optimum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atkinson_cycle