Sign in to follow this  
mike72

terrible 48.4 mpg

You weren't getting 59 MPG overall in your 13. That's a misrepresentation. It actually seems like you're doing ok in the 14, considering it's still very new. I couldn't tell you what the break-in period I experienced with my car was, since I'm sure that the initial improvements were more associated with me learning to drive it. I've been driving a 13 for almost a year and am doing very well with the mileage. Yes, I've hit 59 on occasion on, but my dash reads 51, while my actual experience (meaning actual mileage and fuel purchased) as recorded in fuelly is 48. We just purchased a 14 for my wife, and I specifically looked for one without the wheel upgrade. Feature-wise, her car is virtually the same as my car, but the biggest difference will be the driver. We'll see how she does. It's interesting to note that the OEM 17" tires are categorized as Low Rolling Resistance, while the 18" tires are not.

If you've read his other posts, he did claim a 59 MPG tank just before trading in his 13. Around the same time, I achieved about 58 on a tank. I'm assuming perfectly optimal conditions for each of us. Most of this summer, I've hovered around the low-to-mid 50s - documented in Fuelly. Of course, as we all know, the dash figures that many of us report for per-tank MPGs are usually slightly high. Still, not bad, but no, I don't think he meant to imply that he achieved this 100% of the time.

But the "casual" reader of posts like that might not assume the same thing.

Which is why I made the second post in the thread. No need to pile on days later. ;)

Edited by md13ffhguy

Why do you think your lifetime MPG is significantly lower than what others have posted?

His car was built around the same time my first one was, and there were a batch of cars that do have something not quite right with them and just cannot achieve good gas mileage. Ford is saying there is nothing wrong with them, saying its the driver, yet they are speechless when the second car I got can get 47 MPG with me driving it, when the first one barely got 34. Unfortunately, he doesn't have the luxury of a dealer who will back him up and do what it takes to get him out of that car, but he sure does like it! :)

Yep one of the great mysteries of the universe. It is a real head scratcher in that some of us got a car that can't get anywhere near what it should no matter what we try, yet nothing shows up on the scanners as a fault. Some part in that batch of cars is putting out false readings is my guess. When I questioned the MPG on the first one I had, before taking it to the dealer, I wanted to rule out the temps, so drove it to Florida. Even in 70* weather I could not get it above 40 MPG. The HyTi I replaced it with, I can get 50 in that weather all day long.

What is still puzzling is the fact that all 4 plugs fouled in that first one at 4500 miles,and yet, no problem was found. If it were a batch of bad plugs, you would hear of more people with fouled plugs, but I don't recall anyone else having that happen to theirs. In any case, that is in the past and the one I had built for me has been great from day one.

Another thing I remember was your stating the car would not coast very well. This indicates something in the system was acting as a continual drag contributing to the low mileage. Too bad Ford isn't interested enough to take one or mpore of these early bad performers and find the root cause.

I had forgotten that one, yes it did slow down quickly. It would drop 5 MPH just moving my foot off the accelerator and to the floor. If i put it in neutral it would coast OK, so I know it was the drivetrain doing it.