Sign in to follow this  
TopangaSE

When to fill up?

When you fill up does not impact your MPG. I prefer to fill up at 1/4 or less, but before the car starts to complain to me. Unless of course, I pass a station with a great price, then I stop and fill even if I only need a 1/4 tank. :)

For the first few tanks, if you fill up when you hit 11.5 or so gallons used, it learns where the bottom of your tank is and gives a better DTE reading, If you fill up at 1/4 tank though, the DTE will be off a bit, but thats the only side effect. The car learns how much gas is in the tank based on this. Search for the threads regarding only putting 10 gallons in a 13 gallon tank. The 14's "might" not be like this anymore, but the 13's sure are.

I use the GasBuddy phone app and watch the price trends. When prices are at the low cycle, I fill up when the tank drops to 3/4. If the prices are at the high cycle, I let the fuel drop to about 1/8.

It does not seem like a lot of savings over a few weeks, but over a year, it adds up to quite a bit of savings...

The negative thing about keeping the gas tank full is that gasoline weighs about 6 pounds a gallon, so fuel economy can be somewhat less with a full tank.

Edited by billford

That makes sense. I was thinking something like that might apply. This car is so much more high tech than my last, I was worried about filling the tank wrong and messing up its calculations. Dumb question...how do I find out gallons used? I don't think I've tinkered enough to find that yet. Lol.

On the 2013 (I assume it would also apply on the 2014 but don't know), I reset Trip 1 on each fill-up and that tracks the number of gallons used... but there may be some menu option where I needed to set that option to 'enhanced' to also give more detail -- unless I'm thinking of a different menu option where you can choose basic or enhanced.

Below is a pic of one of my old trips that shows the gallons used.

Trip1c_20130603_zps6948ae33.jpg

I have around 5800 miles on my FFH, and I usually fill up right about when I have 1/2 tank left. The lowest my tank has gone probably wasn't even down to 3/8 tank left. I also only fill up to the first click on the pump. I only recently came across the DTE screen, but the couple of times that I checked it recently, right after filling my tank, it showed right at 600 miles.

So that seems like it has calculated accurately to me without ever running the DTE down to 0, and without ever filling it up to the brim.

About the only reason I don't personally like to go below 1/2 tank is in case the bank network (ATMs) go down or if the gas supply quits flowing for any number of reasons, I can still get around for a bit, which will hopefully be long enough for any catastrophic issues like that to get resolved.

Dad may have been right in his day. On modern cars, you won't damage the fuel pump even if you run out of gas, so the admonition about not letting the level fall below 1/4 is obsolete.

There has been lots of discussion on this forum about damage that may result from runnning out of fuel. There is also lots of information online about running out of fuel and possible damage to your car.

I tend to put my faith in the 2015 FFH owners manual and it states this on page 158:

RUNNING OUT OF FUEL

Avoid running out of fuel because this

situation may have an adverse effect on

vehicle components.