Sign in to follow this  
GrySql

Let's discuss your Lug Nuts...

This morning I had new tires installed and during this procedure I was able to be right there when the work was being done, I even helped a little.

When putting my FFH 18" wheels back on the car I noticed that one of the the shiny Ford lug nuts had a dented end cap. A lug nut that can be dented, what?

I asked my friend, the shop owner, about this and he said it is a problem these days with certain makes of car, like Ford.

He has to use a special impact socket and be very careful that the socket is fully seated before triggering the impact gun.

If he's not careful the aluminum sleeved outer Aluminum cap will spin off the inner steel lug nut.

The manufacturer does this to make the lug nut look shiny without using expensive chrome, it's cheaper.

The problem with this dual construction is that the outer 19mm Al lug nut sleeve can spin off and separate from the inner steel lug nut.

The steel inner lug nut is 18mm and the car's lug wrench will no longer grip that size lug nut, so the wheel cannot be removed in the field.

(Unless you just happen to have a 18mm socket.)

His suggestion, if I was worried about this, was to replace all these cheapo lug nuts with 19mm chromed steel ones that are available as after market add-ons.

I'm thinking about it.

-

Besides this lug nut issue, one might also be very aware about who does the rotation/replacement of their tires.

The tire machine my friends shop has uses a plastic coated tire/wheel separator that doesn't scratch these PVD painted Ford wheels.

I used to autocross an awful lot. I was changing my tires 4 times a weekend, 20 times a year. I never had any lugnut cap come off. I wouldn't worry about it.

My lug nuts come off with hand tools and go on with a torque wrench, no air tools allowed. And the socket needs to have tape wrapped around it so it does not scratch the rim. Insist on it and get it written on the work order.

My lug nuts come off with hand tools and go on with a torque wrench, no air tools allowed. And the socket needs to have tape wrapped around it so it does not scratch the rim. Insist on it and get it written on the work order.

After the Pep Boys damaged my rim this will also be my procedure when changing to winter tires.

The log nuts that came with the winter tires are made from one solid piece.

Yes you can destroy anything but for most things it probably takes a lot of "stupid".

Edited by corncobs

Ideally, the people doing your tires should NOT be using an impact gun in the first place.......at least not to put the wheels back ON the car.

It is almost impossible to tighten the lug nuts in the proper sequence and with the proper torque using an impact tool.

Just slapping them on like you are a tire changer in a NASCAR race can result in warped brake rotors.

Finding a shop that will torque the nuts by hand, however, might be an impossible task these days.

Why I do everything I can myself.

I know next to nothing about this but was wondering if the "aluminum sleeved outer Aluminum cap" has anything to do with preventing corrosion due to the dissimilar metals? Maybe it is not completely a cost savings issue? This thought occurred to me after recently reading about the special considerations required for the new aluminum bodied F-150.

Edited by Texasota

OOOH this is a hot pet peeve of mine. These are not new lug nuts, they have been around for decades and irk me to no end. After a few years of salt, they get rust under the caps which are stainless steel. They bulge and the impact socket no longer fits. When I worked as a wrench I encountered these damned things nearly every day, and would usually have to chisel the caps off in order to remove the lug nuts. We would notify the customer and suggest new lug nuts, and most usually agreed to it. I hate these damned things.

I loosen mine with a 1/2 breaker bar in a 6 point air tool socket. Once loose, I use a dewalt battery powered driver to remove them.

They go back on with the driver until they just touch the wheel. They are then tightened to the correct torque with a torque wrench.

Then my OCD kicks in and I double check that they all are torqued correctly.

I hate spinning off and on the nuts and that's the only reason I use the dewalt.

Edited by Sleddog

I wouldn't worry about it.

I wasn't worried that any lug nut would come off while driving.

I was concerned about fixing a flat in my favorite spot in the desert, next to the Joshua Tree cactus with the vulture on the limb and the sun bleached steer skull under it.

Linkbirdimages_zpsc42c28f2.jpg

Plus, as I plan to keep this car for a while it will need 7 or more tire rotations in the future.

Consequently, I bought 20 replacement triple chromed steel lug nuts.

As things turned out I had good reason to give it some preventative thought.

I started with the one bent topped Ford OEM lug nut, my brand new 6-point 19mm socket would not seat on the lug nut, it required my rubber hammer to get the socket on the lug nut.

Once removed I had to use a persuader to hammer the nut from being stuck inside the socket. That would have been fun on the side of the road, even for a AAA tow truck driver.

The other 4 Ford lug nuts were difficult as well, but not as bad as the first one.

So, now my 4 wheels are sporting new chrome steel lug nuts, all put on by hand and torqued to spec.

Did I have to do this? Heck no, the Shop or Dealer could have replaced them as they became defective.

Before...

P1010207_zps9d9a7fe7.jpg

After

P1010211_zps1650750a.jpg

I was concerned about fixing a flat in my favorite spot in the desert, next to the Joshua Tree cactus with the vulture on the limb and the sun bleached steer skull under it.

Linkbirdimages_zpsc42c28f2.jpg

I've been through the Joshua Tree Forest many times. So much so that I do believe I've made friends with that vulture.....his name is Boris. Stop sometime and stick your arm out and he will perch on it and challange you to a starring contest. He's pretty good at it.

Edited by hermans

You may want to put a set of wheel locks on also

http://accessories.ford.com/nut-wheel-10427.html

These are made by Mcgard, the price is a little high from Ford, its quite a bit cheaper from a auto parts store.

Amazon: McGard - total set for 4 wheels, locks and nuts (all the same height). $72.00

Locks:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CONU0G/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Lug Nuts

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000COS0GU/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

-

I had McGard locks/lug nuts on my Mustang GT w/Cobra wheels, excellent stuff.

At one point the wheel lock 'key' was lost but I still had the key storage bag with the particular Codes.

I called them, gave the Codes and they shipped a replacement for $12 or so.

Edited by GrySql