LEM

Last night I hit a deer...

21st actually sent the adjuster to my office to look at it. So any news yet on damage?

I just came back from the Progressive center. I didn't leave very satisfied...

Regarding the bumper and the hood, they think it will probably can be fixed, not replaced.

Also the estimate would be without using OEM parts! The guy didn't tell me, but I read that in the papers he gave me.

Can I demand to have OEM parts and that the insurance pays for this?

I'm so frustrated that I may end up paying more with my own money. The check they gave me was for $1,898.

21st actually sent the adjuster to my office to look at it. So any news yet on damage?

Thanks for the reply, acdii. Yes, I just posted it.

They issued a check prior to work being done? What if there is hidden damage that wont be found until they have the car apart? Thats what happened with mine, the Insurance adjuster thought they would be able to reuse the under grill on the Flex, but after it was apart there was more hidden damage that required more parts.

They issued a check prior to work being done? What if there is hidden damage that wont be found until they have the car apart? Thats what happened with mine, the Insurance adjuster thought they would be able to reuse the under grill on the Flex, but after it was apart there was more hidden damage that required more parts.

Yes, I was surprised about that, too. They say that if there are any changes, they will deal that with the body shop directly.

I just came back from the Progressive center. I didn't leave very satisfied...

Regarding the bumper and the hood, they think it will probably can be fixed, not replaced.

Also the estimate would be without using OEM parts! The guy didn't tell me, but I read that in the papers he gave me.

Can I demand to have OEM parts and that the insurance pays for this?

I'm so frustrated that I may end up paying more with my own money. The check they gave me was for $1,898.

VA law says:

VIRGINIA LAW:

Approved March 16, 2003

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of Virginia:

1- That §38.2-517 of the Code of Virginia is amended and reenacted as follows:

§ 38.2-5U. Unfair: settlement practices; replacement and repair: penalty.

A. No person shall:

1. Require an insured or claimant to utilize designated replacement or repair facilities or services, or the products of designated manufacturers, as a prerequisite to settling or paying any claim arising under a policy or policies of insurance: or

2. Engage in any act of coercion or intimidation causing or; intended to cause an insured or claimant to utilize designated replacement or repair facilities or services, or the products of designated manufacturers, in connection with settling or paying any claim arising under a policy or policies of insurance;

3. Fail to disclose to the insured or claimant, at such time as it recommends the use of a designated motor vehicle replacement or repair facility or service, or products of a designated manufacturer; in connection with settling or paying any claim arising under a policy or policies of insurance, that the insured or claimant is under no obligation to use the replacement or repair facility or service or products of the manufacturer recommended by the insurer or by a representative of the insurer; or

4. Fail to disclose to the insured or claimant, at such time as it recommends the use of a designated motor vehicle replacement or repair facility in connection with settling or paying any claim arising under a policy or policies of insurance, that the insurer has a financial interest in such replacement or repair facility, if the insurer has such an interest.

B. This section shall, not be construed to require an. insurer to pay an amount for motor vehicle repair services or repair products necessary to properly and fairly repair the vehicle to its pre-loss condition that is greater than the prevailing competitive charges for equivalent services or products charged by similar contractors or repair shops within a reasonable geographic or trade area of the address of the repair facility. Offering an explanation of the extent of an insurer’s obligation under this section to its policyholder or third-party claimant shall not constitute a violation of this section.

C. Any person violating this section shall be subject to the injunctive, and enforcement provisions of Chapter 2 ( 38.2-200 et seq.) of this title. The Commission shall investigate, with the written authorization of the insured or claimant, any written complaints received pursuant to this section, regardless of whether such written complaints are submitted by an individual or a repair facility. For the purpose of this subsection, any insurance company utilizing a third party shall be held accountable for any violation of this section by such third party.

2. That the provisions of this act shall apply to motor vehicle insurance policies issued or renewed on or after July 1, 2003.

This does not mean that the insurance much use OEM parts, it just means that they cannot require you to use non-OEM parts or a specific repair shop.

Check out this guide from the Commonwealth of Virginia. Specifically read question 2 in section 12 (FAQs). Virginia doesn't even require insurance companies to use new parts. They're allowed to put used parts on your car. If you want OEM parts you can work with the body shop to determine the price difference. You can try to get the insurance company to cover it but they likely won't, leaving you to pay the difference out of pocket if you so choose.

This is very different from MN where new OEM parts are required on all vehicles, no matter how old.

Yes, I was surprised about that, too. They say that if there are any changes, they will deal that with the body shop directly.

I would not accept this. Tell them that you do not want a check. Tell them that you want them to pay the shop directly. This is a protection for you to make sure that you don't have to pay anything out of pocket.

Major bummer! Living an a deer infested state, too, I am always concerned about these damn 4 legged runners.

Not sure this will help, but my local dealer also does not have a collision shop, they referred to me to a local body shop when I needed some paint done, and the independent shop did an incredible job. Can't even tell I ever scratched it! Hopefully your independent shop will be just as good. Last time I did have to use insurance to cover my own personal stupidity, the shop the insurance used also did a fabulous job. That was with Progressive or "Flo's Insurance" but I'm no longer with them.

VA law says:

This does not mean that the insurance much use OEM parts, it just means that they cannot require you to use non-OEM parts or a specific repair shop.

Check out this guide from the Commonwealth of Virginia. Specifically read question 2 in section 12 (FAQs). Virginia doesn't even require insurance companies to use new parts. They're allowed to put used parts on your car. If you want OEM parts you can work with the body shop to determine the price difference. You can try to get the insurance company to cover it but they likely won't, leaving you to pay the difference out of pocket if you so choose.

This is very different from MN where new OEM parts are required on all vehicles, no matter how old.

I would not accept this. Tell them that you do not want a check. Tell them that you want them to pay the shop directly. This is a protection for you to make sure that you don't have to pay anything out of pocket.

Thanks for all that information. I saw your post last night, and I called right away to Progressive. I told them about the check. They guy insisted that I shouldn't worry about anything, that it is the normal procedure, that they would talk to the body shop, blah blah blah...

I said that it was ok.

I just came back from the body shop. They were nice and said the car will be in mint condition after the work. They told me that they would probably have to replace the bumper and the hood, and that I shouldn't have to worry about the insurance because

they'll talk to them. They said that they always do the same. The estimate is always much lower than the final cost.

The car will be there for about 3 weeks. They said that I shouldn't have driven the car like that. :(

They will call me tomorrow to give me the estimate. My experience now is that I should have taken the car to the body shop FIRST, and then let Progressive make the estimate.

Edited by LEM

I had some issues with progressive and they came through. I told the claims person I wanted to escalate the issue with her supervisor and body shop called me the next day and said they had agreed to pay everything. It all worked out fine. I did change insurance companies when it was time to renew.

I had some issues with progressive and they came through. I told the claims person I wanted to escalate the issue with her supervisor and body shop called me the next day and said they had agreed to pay everything. It all worked out fine. I did change insurance companies when it was time to renew.

Thanks for that. So far my experience is not being that great. What company are you using now?

I'm using Country Financial. I ended up bundling long term care, life, home, auto and liability for my biz and they gave me a nice discount.

Thanks for that. So far my experience is not being that great. What company are you using now?

I've been rear-ended 3 times and each time the other person's insurance has been very easy to work with.

Our experience from last week was dealing with The Hartford. The claims adjuster was very pleasant and helpful. I have never gotten a quote from them in the past for insurance but definitely will the next time our policy is up because of this good experience.

When the Prius was scraped by someone parallel parking we dealt with State Farm. They were also very easy to deal with.

When I was rear-ended in my Saab back in December 2010 the girl who hit me had Progressive. They were very quick to help me out. I was hit on a Saturday and time was short since I was leaving to go out of town the following Thursday on a road trip in my car. I brought my car to a body shop Monday morning and Progressive got their adjuster out to the body shop Monday afternoon. The body shop finished my car on Wednesday and I was able to take it on the trip. Progressive had said that they would cover the rental car for my road trip if they couldn't get my car repaired in time, but they rushed their inspector out to the body shop within a few hours of my first contact with them so that they could save the expense of paying for my rental car for an extra 11 days.

My first time being rear-ended we dealt with Farmers. They also were easy to work with, but my memory of this incident is a bit fuzzy because it happened in 2005.

Something I just realized now when thinking back about this. All four incidents happened on Saturdays. I wonder what the statistics are for car accidents by day of the week.

My whole life my parents have had their car insurance with West Bend Mutual. When they had two recent claims they found West Bend to be easy to work with and their rates didn't go up even though they had three claims in a span of two years. None of the claims were "at-fault" accidents, twice their cars were hit while parked on the street and once my dad was hit by a lady who ran a stop sign. One claim was small, only about $1000 paid by insurance but the other two each were over $12,000 paid by insurance each time.

I've had Geico for the last 3+ years and while I haven't had any claims other than glass repair, I have found their customer service to be excellent when I've called with questions.

I've been rear-ended 3 times and each time the other person's insurance has been very easy to work with.

Our experience from last week was dealing with The Hartford. The claims adjuster was very pleasant and helpful. I have never gotten a quote from them in the past for insurance but definitely will the next time our policy is up because of this good experience.

When the Prius was scraped by someone parallel parking we dealt with State Farm. They were also very easy to deal with.

When I was rear-ended in my Saab back in December 2010 the girl who hit me had Progressive. They were very quick to help me out. I was hit on a Saturday and time was short since I was leaving to go out of town the following Thursday on a road trip in my car. I brought my car to a body shop Monday morning and Progressive got their adjuster out to the body shop Monday afternoon. The body shop finished my car on Wednesday and I was able to take it on the trip. Progressive had said that they would cover the rental car for my road trip if they couldn't get my car repaired in time, but they rushed their inspector out to the body shop within a few hours of my first contact with them so that they could save the expense of paying for my rental car for an extra 11 days.

My first time being rear-ended we dealt with Farmers. They also were easy to work with, but my memory of this incident is a bit fuzzy because it happened in 2005.

Something I just realized now when thinking back about this. All four incidents happened on Saturdays. I wonder what the statistics are for car accidents by day of the week.

My whole life my parents have had their car insurance with West Bend Mutual. When they had two recent claims they found West Bend to be easy to work with and their rates didn't go up even though they had three claims in a span of two years. None of the claims were "at-fault" accidents, twice their cars were hit while parked on the street and once my dad was hit by a lady who ran a stop sign. One claim was small, only about $1000 paid by insurance but the other two each were over $12,000 paid by insurance each time.

I've had Geico for the last 3+ years and while I haven't had any claims other than glass repair, I have found their customer service to be excellent when I've called with questions.

Thanks for so much for all that information about insurances. I recently renewed mine, so I'll have to wait, but I will definitely consider your options.

Regards

I have to say Gieco has been good for me too, especially after the Flex got wrecked. It was a little iffy with the check being sent to the bank and getting them in touch with GAP, but it got worked out. I have had 2 claims with them, which is sad since I have gone nearly 20 years without an incident and in less than a year over $4K from a deer hit, then 6 months later totaled it out in a whiteout.

Thanks for so much for all that information about insurances. I recently renewed mine, so I'll have to wait, but I will definitely consider your options.

Regards

You don't have to wait for your current policy to end to switch. You can switch companies at any time. If you have already paid your premium in advance you will receive a refund for the unused portion. In MN there is a law which gives the insurance companies only 10 days to issue a refund.

I just talked to the body shop and the estimate is about $3500 more than what Progressive estimated. There is more damage that it seemed. They think there shouldn't be a problem dealing with the insurance though.

It seems the bumper and the hood are going to be replaced too, not repaired.

Edited by LEM

I just talked to the body shop and the estimate is about $3500 more than what Progressive estimated. There is more damage that it seemed. They think there shouldn't be a problem dealing with the insurance though.

It seems the bumper and the hood are going to be replaced too, not repaired.

Yep, if you look back at the pic of my wife's Escape (from a few years ago) in post #12 it initially looked to me like OK hood looks pretty crinkled so I expected that to be replaced, along with the front black plastic bumper cover and a headlight and that should be it... no way - radiator was damaged, some type of oil cooler or line or something, and of course any interior bumper material, etc.

A tip -- remind them to PLEASE save your front license plate -- in VA since they are required you'd think a body shop would know that, well when they replaced the front bumper on the Escape they threw it out and just gave me a letter to certify that it was discarded by accident and that I could take that to the DMV. Must have been a rookie that worked on it I guess.

Yep, if you look back at the pic of my wife's Escape (from a few years ago) in post #12 it initially looked to me like OK hood looks pretty crinkled so I expected that to be replaced, along with the front black plastic bumper cover and a headlight and that should be it... no way - radiator was damaged, some type of oil cooler or line or something, and of course any interior bumper material, etc.

A tip -- remind them to PLEASE save your front license plate -- in VA since they are required you'd think a body shop would know that, well when they replaced the front bumper on the Escape they threw it out and just gave me a letter to certify that it was discarded by accident and that I could take that to the DMV. Must have been a rookie that worked on it I guess.

Thanks for the tip, Jeff. I will remind them that.

I finally picked up my car today. It was ready two weeks ago but I couldn't pick it up because I was on travel.

So it took like a month to repair. The total cost was $10,189.60

The estimate that Progressive gave me originally was $1,898...

I need to look more carefully but so far it looks great. The place where I brought it in is called Precision Collision in Lorton, VA. They have always been very helpful and always kept me

updated about its progress.

Everything got replaced. Bumper, radiator, hood... Even the windshield. Apparently it got cracked when it got removed. They say that it happens very often. The car was very clean in the engine compartment, too.

So far, I'm very satisfied with their work. My insurance didn't put any problems regarding the increase and the body shop handled everything.

I will post pictures next week!

So happy to have my car back. :happy feet:

Yes this is the car for which I just posted in another thread a couple weeks ago that it passed the 200k mark and still looks and runs great. Never had an accident of any kind -- until this morning when a crackhead deer couldn't wait until October or November and needed to get a jump on his buddies. Now since it has so many miles, the new owner (good family friend so I still see the car every few days) is afraid that they will deem it a total loss since it will probably be big bucks (pun intended) to fix. My guess from just looking at the picture is $8k, but who knows as so much of it depends on what was affected behind the grill and under the door rather than just a few panels.

2010_FFH_Deer_20150430_zpszqjmmtft.jpg

I'm so sorry about that. I know how much it hurts...

It really looks worse than mine, and mine was $10k... but you're right, they won't know until they see what has been damaged inside.