Sign in to follow this  
garymkrieg

Setting Up Your Hybrid

As a frequent reader of this forum I notice that many of the things that make the car special have to enabled, ie turned on. For example ECO cruise and EV+. What other settings should a new owner be looking at to get the most out of the car?

Gary

Set up the key fobs to remember the seat/mirror positions when you open the drivers door, set the time for the headlight delay when you exit the car

I have yet to get the MKZhs key fobs to program. I gave up!

EV+ is not wasteful. The purpose is to leave the car at the end of the day with as low a charge level as possible. This is because when you start the car the next day the engine is going to run to warm itself up. Since it will run no matter how you drive it you want the charge low so the engine can recharge it while warming up. If the battery is full you're wasting the energy while the engine warms.

Does it go through this warm up cycle even in the summer time with warm temperatures?

Here in the AZ desert temps, from March, when I picked up my FFH, until now, my car never, ever starts up with the ICE running, unless my HVB SOC is almost to zero on the gauge. And that has only happened on one or two startups. So I disabled the EV+ option since it doesn't really do me any good.

BTW, the EV+ was enabled by default on my car.

Edited by Hybrider

And now that I think about it, those one or two times my car did start up with the ICE on, was probably because I had the EV+ enabled and it ran my SOC into the ground. To me the FFH does not seem to be very efficient when the SOC is that low.

EV+ is OK for city dwellers, but where I live, I try to get a full HVB when I get home, this way in the morning when I leave, the ICE can just move the car without having to also charge the HVB, I also kick it out of stage 1 as soon as the ICE comes on so its propelling the car and not the HVB. I make a turn out of my drive and accelerate to 55-60 so EV is useless for me, but a full HVB is almost 40 MPG right from the start. I am seeing 49 MPG on may way in to work every morning now. I should probably turn EV+ off, but I find that when I go to lunch I get 70 MPG on the way back since the last 1/2 mile is EV+ in 30 MPH traffic.

Oh also with a full HVB in the summer the ICE doesn't kick in unless you call for it. Gentle acceleration up to 25 MPH will stay in EV until SOC drops to recharge level. I usually go about a mile before I need ICE.

Each drive is unique, for some starting with low SOC works, for others high SOC works. For me its a difference of about 2 MPG if I leave with a high SOC vs low.

No, your right, but it is still better to see ABOVE 47 than to see 47, at least when the cars were rated at 47. Now when I see 47 I think HAH better than EPA! Last night I hit 47 on the way home. What a car!

The EPA uses both terms but on web page where they describe the different portions of the EPA window sticker (see link below)) they use the term "estimates". Mouse over the different portions of the EPA sticker to see the EPA's descriptions:

http://www.epa.gov/carlabel/gaslabel.htm

Edited by Texasota